Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Siege of Crägholdt - peacefull way?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

my_summertime

my_summertime

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Just as i title. Is there any way to resolve this quest "a peacefull way"? Without fighting from the vwery begginig? I mean the very first group you meet when you enter Crägholdt (mercenary guard) They ask you to leave. If you didn't - they're attacking you.

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 341 posts

Don't think so. My rogue is an RP character, passed 2 intimidation checks, then some other guy comes and commander this, commander that and they turn on you.

globalCooldown

globalCooldown

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Steam:globalCooldown
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There IS a cave you can get into by sneaking by them that opens out into Cragholdt proper. There's a switch inside the keep to open it; not sure if it's openable from the outside.

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 341 posts

No, it's not, it's an exit.

Killyox

Killyox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The point of the area is to provide challenge to ma lvl chars so no, I don't think there is xD

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

The point of the area is to provide challenge to ma lvl chars so no, I don't think there is xD

I would call these mercs the toughest guys in the whole game. Even at level 11 they gave me trouble like no other group has ever done.

globalCooldown

globalCooldown

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Steam:globalCooldown
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To be fair, the mercs ARE brutal. For me personally, it was because entire groups of them would wander into a fight already in progress and decide to jump in.

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

To be fair, the mercs ARE brutal. For me personally, it was because entire groups of them would wander into a fight already in progress and decide to jump in.

Also because of their monks - or whatever they are - materializing in your back.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3048 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The guys leaping to the back line while knocking my tanks prone. **** those guys.

Mechalibur

Mechalibur

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

You do get an extra conversation option if you've killed a dragon before. It was something along the lines of "I've killed a dragon, do you really think you're going to stop me?"

One of the mercs gets nervous, but they fight you anyway :/

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3148 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

And you get one if you're with House Doemonel too. Again, you still have to fight.

I didn't like this area at all. Don't get me wrong, having a few of these encounters here and there in the game would be fantastic. I loved the increase in difficulty and that the enemies seem to really use abilities actively. But it really feels like a high level area thrown together for the sake of it. It just doesn't fit in very well.

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

Killed Dragon - check

House Doemenel - check

Still, no additional dialogue, assuming you mean the merc commander.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3048 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Killed Dragon - check

House Doemenel - check

Still, no additional dialogue, assuming you mean the merc commander.

The House Doemenel dialogue option is at the beginning with the two dudes who engage you in conversation when you enter the map. Doesn't change anything.

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 341 posts

You get whichever DB faction you supported, works with all 3 (never chose the Dozens, but it'd be silly if they were left out).

synfrei

synfrei

Immortal Ghost of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

i liked the fact that you can mention it you killed a dragon or have achieved other things and they consider it, but why should they let you pass ?

They know they can not trust you and they like to get the artifact for themselves.

So iam ok that i can not talk them go away and yes they are very tough fights but i learned a lot fighting them. Now only the Mage tower is waitin for me yeah...

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

i liked the fact that you can mention it you killed a dragon or have achieved other things and they consider it, but why should they let you pass ?

They know they can not trust you and they like to get the artifact for themselves.

So iam ok that i can not talk them go away and yes they are very tough fights but i learned a lot fighting them. Now only the Mage tower is waitin for me yeah...

It would be nice if at least one or two had second thoughts and legged it, depending on the conversation. Just like the dragon egg guys, depending on you speech check, If for no other reasons then for some role playing.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've been enjoying the area a lot :) still have the beat the C. guy senseless but the fights with the mercenaries were a lot of fun for me.

Besides, it would be epic if part II expanded on this plot and we discovered who hired the mercenaries etc. In fact,

Spoiler

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

I've been enjoying the area a lot :) still have the beat the C. guy senseless but the fights with the mercenaries were a lot of fun for me.

Besides, it would be epic if part II expanded on this plot and we discovered who hired the mercenaries etc. In fact,

Spoiler

On a side note - what was your level and your group comp when first moving to Crägholdt?

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

On a side note - what was your level and your group comp when first moving to Crägholdt?

Level 14, playing on PotD with a fully custom party armed to the teeth :)

Although, despite having all of the following available in good supply, I used exactly none of them when fighting the mercenaries:

• Scroll of Valor
  • Scroll of Paralysis
  • Scroll of Restore Critical Stamina
  • Potion of Major Endurance
  • Flask of War Paint
  • Summons (either via spell or via figurine)

They simply were not necessary :)

My party composition is as follows:

• Lady of Pain
  • Fighter (same build as LoP but different equipment and, of course, no protagonist-only talents)
  • Cipher
  • Wizard
  • Druid
  • Priest

I think I still have a saved game with most mercenaries still hiding in the FoW if you'd like to experience some wanton murder ;)

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

I went there with a level 9 party. Got through most of the enemy groups below the ramps, but got wasted by the ones stationed on higher ground. Cleaned up at level 11. All on normal difficulty, with player/Paladin, Devil, Zohua, Durance, Eder and Aloth. But it explains why I still have no chance against Cancelhaut or whatever is left of him.

I usually played on hard difficulty, but I want to at least finish one playthrough on normal to learn the new mechanics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users