Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

...Ban  the Bossy word campaign...

That was exactly the thread that caused me to permanently tune out from your crusade. :lol:

In all fairness, that's exactly the sort of carceral feminism even other feminists point and laugh at.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

...Ban  the Bossy word campaign...

That was exactly the thread that caused me to permanently tune out from your crusade. :lol:

In all fairness, that's exactly the sort of carceral feminism even other feminists point and laugh at.

Gfted1 the path of the SJ follower is long, perilous and requires fortitude ...its not for everyone as you have to learn to  redefine certain views and this requires the ability to admit you wrong. And you strike me as someone who doesn't like admitting you are wrong ...unless your wife tells you are wrong  :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You people sure are strange.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not entirely true! I am certifiably "weird", not "strange". :) I can't vouch for the rest of these boggarts, though...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yet everything feels normal to me but I'm eccentric in RL so you can't trust my input :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not entirely true! I am certifiably "weird", not "strange". :) I can't vouch for the rest of these boggarts, though...

Barti,,,,please don't kid yourself you are as weird as the rest of us. You fit in perfectly  :cat:

John Milton 

We spend a good deal of time on a videogame forum for a developer that makes RPGs, being strange comes with the territory.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

We spend a good deal of time on a videogame forum for a developer that makes RPGs, being strange comes with the territory.

Besides I learnt to ignore people calling me weird years ago as its very subjective 

John Milton 

Well, did have that as a sort of baseline. Granted, it's mainly just Bruce being on something, or so it seems.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gfted1 the path of the SJ follower is long, perilous and requires fortitude ...its not for everyone as you have to learn to  redefine certain views and this requires the ability to admit you wrong. And you strike me as someone who doesn't like admitting you are wrong ...unless your wife tells you are wrong  happy0203.gif

Nah, I just have a low moronicy tolerance and that lone thread managed to destroy any credibility you would ever have with me. Not that that's important. You just need to learn to pick your battles. shrugnz9.gif

I think that means...I was correct in my examples? I hope? tongue.png

(e): I'm serious about being really bad in actually understanding how English works: I don't even know how to distinguish a "subject" from an "object" in a sentence. tongue.png

IIRC,

He walks

He - Subject

Walks - Verb

An object is something that is acted upon by the subject, or by a prepositon

She calls you

She - subject

calls - verb

you - direct object

She gave him advice

She - subject

gave - verb

him - indirect object

advice - direct object predicate

He talks to you

He - subject

talks - verb

to - preposition

you - prepositional object

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

".you can't think of a valid reason why you don't like Romance ...Volo its sometimes hard  being me and realizing you are right all the time "

Are you a tool? You just proved yourself wrong again.  The reason why I didn't find a 'valid' reason why I don't like romance is that I never claimed I disliked it so why are you lying and besmirching my evil name?

I'm fine with romances in games because they can only add to role-playing plus there is always a chance to see H0T boobies which always makes a pervert like me (and you) smile. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nah, I just have a low moronicy tolerance and that lone thread managed to destroy any credibility you would ever have with me. Not that that's important. You just need to learn to pick your battles. shrugnz9.gif

And you know what really disappoints me and leaves me with a  real sense of emptiness  ? All this time I thought you were completely supportive of my SJ initiatives ...I am not sure I can continue knowing you have lost faith in me  ;)

I have mentioned this before but its best to never expect  anyone to support a SJ campaign that you may personally   raise. Its not as bad as you think as there is generally  a few supportive views but mostly people reject it but sometimes thats because I am raising it. So I don't ever worry about "who will support me " for two main reasons

• You should raise a SJ issue because you believe in the principle ..not for the glory 
  • A gaming forum like this is probably one of the worst places to expect people to care about some view of a game and how some character is presented. Due to events like GG people are tired of being lectured by people they feel are hypocrites and about topics they feel are trivial. I get this, I don't believe it but I understand the criticism.

Also these forums are not full of real sexists or bigots. So why try make people feel guilty about something that they aren't doing or rather why try to make people acknowledge a problem like sexism when it doesn't really exist on these forums. People get worked up enough by Anita's view on some gaming component  and Moosa review of some game without me exacerbating the outrage :)

John Milton 

snip

I didn't ask for any of this gobbledygook! Just tell me if I was right, darn you! tongue.png I can't even remember what a preposition or a predicate bloody well are...American education, I tell you...(or rather, how I completely and utterly failed to learn anything from it, particularly on this subject, tongue.png).

(Unrelated: did you know that gobbledygook had a "d" in it? I sure didn't before Googling how to spell it!)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

snip

I didn't ask for any of this gobbledygook! Just tell me if I was right, darn you! tongue.png I can't even remember what a preposition or a predicate bloody well are...American education, I tell you...(or rather, how I completely and utterly failed to learn anything from it, particularly on this subject, tongue.png).

(Unrelated: did you know that gobbledygook had a "d" in it? I sure didn't before Googling how to spell it!)

Barti I have a secret to tell you " no one really cares about your aptness in grammar or your usage of words " because as long you can be understood thats all people should expect

I actually get annoyed when people have such a sense of superciliousness to correct a strangers grammar on a gaming website ...come on those people must get a real hobby   :wowey:

John Milton 

For the most part, of course not. Nevertheless, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my own English, and so it's a topic of interest to me, even though I've never understood English the way it was taught in school. Instead, I learned most everything I know from reading books and gaining an intuitive sort of sense for how things work instead of actually knowing how they work. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

snip

I think so, the last sentence is a bit tricky but I think you were right on it. But English isn't my forte and I'm going on a lot of memory here (with a few glances over a grammar website).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's all that matters, friend. Thanks, :wub:.

For the most part, of course not. Nevertheless, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my own English, and so it's a topic of interest to me, even though I've never understood the way English as it was taught in school. Instead, I learned most everything I know from reading books and gaining an intuitive sort of sense for how things work instead of actually knowing how things work. :)

So whats interesting is there are places where correct grammar is important. For example my dad comes from an era where people had to learn to speak and pronounce English words correctly. He use to correct us when we were growing up and it was annoying albeit well meaning 

So I had this expectation to not say certain words throughout school and then apartheid ended and suddenly I realized that for 80 % of my country English wasn't even there first language....suddenly pronunciation become irrelevant and it was just sincere communication..and thats what still matters to me

I do loads of documentation at work but I use spell check so I don't manually check my work :geek:  

• Like 2

John Milton 

snip

I think so, the last sentence is a bit tricky but I think you were right on it. But English isn't my forte and I'm going on a lot of memory here (with a few glances over a grammar website).

Yeah that was painfully obvious...you would have made things much easier if you just said like me " I'm not great on grammar"  :biggrin:

Remember you are still very good at using logic and appealing to a persons conscience to get them to admit they wrong....its that forum voodoo magic you use so skillfully

John Milton 

Yeah that was painfully obvious...you would have made things much easier if you just said like me " I'm not great on grammar" happy0203.gif

Remember you are still very good at using logic and appealing to a persons conscience to get them to admit they wrong....its that forum voodoo magic you use so skillfully

How did it come across as "painfully obvious" to you, out of curiosity? original.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah that was painfully obvious...

How did it come across as "painfully obvious" to you, out of curiosity? original.gif

To be honest most people wouldn't know that answer as most people dont need to focus on grammar once they leave school

Also  Amentep gave a very complex response to what should have been a simple answer...when people know something they normally respond in 2 lines or so

But I'm not attacking him, he is a nice guy and genuinely helps people understand things if asked

John Milton 

To be honest most people wouldn't know that answer as most people dont need to focus on grammar once they leave school

Also  Amentep gave a very complex response to what should have been a simple answer...when people know something they normally respond in 2 lines or so

Insulting my English skills - I can live with that. Who cares? Not me, that's for sure. original.gif Insulting Amentep's? I literally haven't stopped cracking up since reading that. And your latest post...using that reasoning... You're too much for me, Bruce. original.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1