How party interactions could have been better.

In a perfect world with a bigger budget party interactions would have been DAO style with full cut-scenes. 

An idea I had would not cost much, just use the party portraits and make them full screen when talking with comic book bubbles coming along with the spoken word. 

Or the could use the same type of art work used in the swimming, climbing, jumping interactions with the characters drawn while the spoken interactions take place.

Gaming is interactive...watching TV ..not so much.

I hope they are able to do that in PoE 2. While I found the character quests hit all the right marks I did wish to see more intra-party interactions. Maybe Eder hooking up with Pallegina...or just romance in general <3

In JRPG's that is what they do (minus comic book bubbles, it is just text at the bottom), along with having different expressions (surprise, happy, angry, embarrassed, sad, thoughtfull..etc).  It works really well.

Another thought is including art scenes (again, like JRPG's do it).  This is during iconic moments like introducing characters, or important events, or just interesting scenes.  An example, when you go to interact with one of your companions you left behind, it will switch to an art drawing of them reading a book, or practicing bow with a text describing the scene in detail.  Something like the art/text scenes that popup sometimes, but with actual full art in them.

I don't mind having my party stand still for a bit so i can listen to the banter, but i too would have preferred for it to pause the game and happen inside the dialogue screen.

As it is, i actually have to pay attention to when banter starts up, when i'm on the other side of the screen with my party members on the other side running to where i just clicked, it's a hassle to find your way back to your party to follow the banter.

• Like 3

xosmi.gif

I liked the companions, I felt that they had a lot more dialogue than a lot of people think, they actually had a substantial amount really and some quite funny scenes.  The reason I feel that people think they were quite bland is because they simply didn't have many catchy phrases and weren't in your face characters, ironically it's because they were not one note characters that people didn't pick up on their personalities.  Baldur's Gate the characters were really just a few phrases but they were ones that people wound up repeating, like the infamous Minsc with his "Swords for everyone!" and Xzar's "Stop touching me!"  When you click on Eder you just get a 'hey?', maybe if they had put in a few funny lines if you click on them too much like in Baldur's Gate people would start 'getting' them?  Grieving Mother's jingling you get when you click on her does help give a feel for otherness for instance.

I do feel that it's important to mention though that I do NOT want them to become more like the Baldur's Gate characters, I actually like them as they are I was just thinking of ways to help others enjoy them too.

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I liked the companions, I felt that they had a lot more dialogue than a lot of people think, they actually had a substantial amount really and some quite funny scenes.  The reason I feel that people think they were quite bland is because they simply didn't have many catchy phrases and weren't in your face characters, ironically it's because they were not one note characters that people didn't pick up on their personalities.  Baldur's Gate the characters were really just a few phrases but they were ones that people wound up repeating, like the infamous Minsc with his "Swords for everyone!" and Xzar's "Stop touching me!"  When you click on Eder you just get a 'hey?', maybe if they had put in a few funny lines if you click on them too much like in Baldur's Gate people would start 'getting' them?  Grieving Mother's jingling you get when you click on her does help give a feel for otherness for instance.

I do feel that it's important to mention though that I do NOT want them to become more like the Baldur's Gate characters, I actually like them as they are I was just thinking of ways to help others enjoy them too.

I quite agree with this. The interactions between characters is fine for now. I do wish their personalities came to light when clicking on them. I do miss the "Mincs and Boo stand ready," or "Heya," or "C-c-c-click on someone your own size," or even my PC's "It shall be done in a trice."

A simple few lines for each character would bring a lot of color to them. I wold also like to see different colored circles underneath each character that shows their minor/major colors. 

I liked the companions, I felt that they had a lot more dialogue than a lot of people think, 

I have to scratch my head when people say they don't talk much.  Companions in this game actually have A LOT of dialogue.  They usually have something to say during every quests.

However, this game lacks character development between party members,  They make simple comments to one another when you leave a building, but there needs to be more than that.  There needs to be conversations where the player character can talk to more than one party member at the same time.  Or even more than 2 party members having a discussion. 

I liked the companions, I felt that they had a lot more dialogue than a lot of people think, 

I have to scratch my head when people say they don't talk much.  Companions in this game actually have A LOT of dialogue.  They usually have something to say during every quests.

However, this game lacks character development between party members,  They make simple comments to one another when you leave a building, but there needs to be more than that.  There needs to be conversations where the player character can talk to more than one party member at the same time.  Or even more than 2 party members having a discussion. 

Yeah, there are some meaty dialogue in there and I have noticed they do talk amongst themselves at points, like when you

find the ruined church of Woedica in Defiance Bay and meet the ghost, in my playthrough Eder and Aloth basically explained to Sagani that my character looks like that when he's doing the Watcher thing and that you get used to it.  I also find Grieving Mother got herself involved a fair bit in Eder's quest in one of the dialogues.

Really I don't think there's any less companion dialogue than in games like Mass Effect (where they often didn't even notice each other's existence at all especially in ME2), though there's probably less exposition dialogue.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams