Of course, someone can prove (me wrong;) by pointing me to vid where for example someone beats it solo fighting them like real man 3 at the same time. That is more than fine.

Not really that hard. A cipher is great at dominating enemies.

Retaliation barbarian with OSA can do it as well, by strategic placement.

EDIT: IndiraLightfoot: you are absolutely right, it can be done with a Barb. You have to place yourself around the souther pillar next to the Axe Judge, along the way you will drag the other three, making your retaliation carnage and spread to Thaos.

Edited by Alnaimi
  • Like 1

For first 102 sec around 167 iirc.

Max effective cipher accuracy is around 160, so yeah, that's like 22% miss chance, so luck reliant. After that though he'll make a nice puppet). And both statues have crap will save (1 is a bit better but still not super impressive).

You have done it or this is in theory?

One has around 80 and the other around 120, not sure how their buffs work into it. I am not saying its impossible. I corrected myself. I charmed them myself with item .. but as you said, its roll reliant and Thaos is pretty much invulnerable at the beginning.

---

edit: I was considering setting Gaze trap where he initially spawns to prevent him from casting initial buffs, then to do something with the statues but never got to try it as seemed safer to use the trap to finish him.

Edited by knownastherat

EDIT: gkathellar: Where do fists get accuracy bonuses from? 

Monks - get a passive skill named Transcendent suffering .. Providing extra damage and accuracy to fist weapons (improves at levels 4/7/10) .. At level 10 it reaches +8 damage (sadly not to base damage )  and +12 accuracy .. You don't jump +12 accuracy from +0 when you level from 9 to 10  like you seem to be assuming on the post below..

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg

Peddroelm: Thx! :) It comes at a late level, though. Ouch. You certainly need weapon(s) as an alternative. EDIT: I saw your edit.

I need to try out the monk - one of the few classes I haven't tried since PoE was released. I made one once during the beta, and it was fun, but like one level (5?), and it was pretty overpowered back then.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Peddroelm: Thx! :) It comes at a late level, though. Ouch. You certainly need weapon(s) as an alternative. EDIT: I saw your edit.

I need to try out the monk - one of the few classes I haven't tried since PoE was released. I made one once during the beta, and it was fun, but like one level (5?), and it was pretty overpowered back then.

I really enjoyed the Monk run, but the problem is that they suffer from accuracy loss just as bad as rangers do, and their damage really takes a hit as a result. Fatigue is something that can destroy a Monk's ability to duel, so make sure to stay well rested during your run.

Also because you depend on taking damage to deal damage, fatigue will creep up on you much quicker, so make sure to invest well in Athletics :)

• Like 1

Pulling this off with a monk is extra neat, since you can't enchant fists for some extra accuracy and such. I'm impressed.

I am sorry but again, not really. Its doable with exceptional weapon.

Yes, with a weapon sure, but I was talking about fists, as in Unarmed, or are they accuracy-boostable as well?

EDIT: gkathellar: Where do fists get accuracy bonuses from? 

Fists have natural accuracy and damage bonuses (monk only) that make them equal in damage and accuracy to average speed superb weapons by the end of the game (by level 10 actually).  

It should be noted that fists are as fast as fast speed weapons, making them better than most weapons before considering enchants such as endurance drain or +crit damage.  Peasant weapon focus is very good for a monk since you can use spears or hatchets for their extra properties or fists for their extra dps.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

Fists have natural accuracy and damage bonuses (monk only) that make them equal in damage and accuracy to average speed superb weapons by the end of the game (by level 10 actually).  

It should be noted that fists are as fast as fast speed weapons, making them better than most weapons before considering enchants such as endurance drain or +crit damage.  Peasant weapon focus is very good for a monk since you can use spears or hatchets for their extra properties or fists for their extra dps.

Worth mentioning that Two Weapon Style talent also apply to fists, personally tested it.

• Like 1

Would like to see you try again after the petrify nerf  :cat:

I think a petrify nerf will hurt many classes ability to solo the final battle. However, from the video you may see that the item slots were all taken up by figurines, which allow to 'zip' up the battle and control the movement of the enemy. I misplayed the final bit, causing me to use up all of them. 

I haven't tried, and can't tell for sure (will do when I have the time, or if anyone else can confirm), but you may be able to approach the whole fight in a different perspective and use a different strategy.

Investing 5 points into lore will allow to use Scroll of Paralysis (-40 deflection, -40 reflex, and -100 dexterity). This could be coupled with War Paint and Potion of Eldritch Aim to overcome his high will attribute. Of course you may have to change the stat distribution to buff Intellect and as such increase the Paralyse duration.

Then to finish him off, you use the Shade summons.

Is Turning Wheel worth it?  Aren't you dumping all your wounds with TR spam?

You are right, the wound will all go for Torments Reach Spam. Problem was that I never thought it through, and just kind of went with Turning Wheel as dump.

If I were to run a Monk again, I would probably go for Clarity of Agony, though the low intellect will make the duration 6.3 seconds, which is obviously not ideal, unless for smaller fights like Xaurips or Vithraks.

To address the issue, you could probably lower Dexterity by 2, (I dislike low Dexterity), and lower Constitution by 3 which would allow for 8 Intellect; massively improving the duration of buffs and hostile effects towards an enemy (like the Gaze of Adragan petrify).

Edited by Alnaimi

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing my first triple crown attempt with Barbarian and the Shadows and Phantoms were killing me on the outside of Caed Nua. 

What I ended up doing was the enemies on the south will stop chasing you once you turn the corner towards the exit, so i would peg them with bow and arrow slowly. I could kill the Blights the same way. Only the Will O Wisps caused me grief after that, but the outside is not a real issue although your method is more than likely much more faster lol

How'd you solo monk's kill Kolsc at level 4...stuck at that fight...

Position yourself next to the mage, kill him first. Call Animat on the archer or priest.

Maybe stupid question so bear with me. It will take a few hits to take the Mage out, so I am summoning right away right? Not kill, then summon?

Maybe stupid question so bear with me. It will take a few hits to take the Mage out, so I am summoning right away right? Not kill, then summon?

Kolsc was one of the harder encounters. For you to be able to do it at level 4, you would need to both have the 'Animat' summon and quite a few 'Fan of Flame' scrolls. Also make sure to pack some 'Minor Endurance' potions.

The fight is really difficult, and expect to fail the first time around, and perhaps forced to start over (if you are running blind) or have a parllel run through on normal PoTD such that you can reload a previous save and try multiple times til you find a strategy you are comfortable with.

Always go for the mages first. If you eat all food before an encounter and also chug some 'Sugar' which gives +1 movement speed for 45 seconds, these harder encounters will get a lot easier. Once the Mages have been brought down, prioritize either Archers or Priests. Once they are brought down try to clump everyone infront of you and burst them down with the fan of flame. Unless you manage to do that prior to the archers, in which it is a bonus to burst them all down.

I honestly think killing Readric is harder in spite of the door cheese. I also never used Fan of flames against Kolsc, but if you wanna be absolutely certain to kill him, sure take it. There is like 10 scrolls before Caed Nua, so you have some leeway.

I honestly think killing Readric is harder in spite of the door cheese. I also never used Fan of flames against Kolsc, but if you wanna be absolutely certain to kill him, sure take it. There is like 10 scrolls before Caed Nua, so you have some leeway.

****, I was thinking Raedric for some reason. My bad. Yeah Kolsc should be a lot easier.

Well I skipped the fight and was able to clear Caed Nua Main Floor, Bear Fight, Maerwold, and Morgans Compass (except Sporelings) without any consumables. I do have the animat summons. I will go back to the fight now that I have the animat and Beetle summons but I am disappointed I couldn't find a way through this fight earlier =/

Thanks all =)

With beetles you don't even need to stand next to the mage to kill him, with beetle you might as well kill Readric.^^

I haven't called them yet, but aren't they Wood Beetles which are easy to kill? I thought they would be quick distraction. I'll try them out tonight if they are that powerful :D

Against relatively weak enemies from Act 1 they hit like a truck.

With my first solo monk I was too stupid too realize sabres hurt trolls a lot, attacked them with the healing flail and couldn't kill them (not the ones in Act 1, the ones in Def Bay sewers), then I sicced wood beetles on them and they died like flies. :D