Questionable quality of Obsidian boards

Nissa_Red

I based my comments on looking through dozens upon dozens of suggestion threads, and only looking at threads that had constructive looking titles. I saw a lot of great suggestions, but I also saw a lot of trollesque posts, short posts, off topic posts, and minor flames.

Hmm... really? I'm not sure if I agree with you on that. All the threads I've looked at had much more constructive posts than pointless petty one liners. Most of the one liners were expressions of opinion, which is certainly valid.

Well, if it's disrespectful to the posters and developers for a "new poster" to post a 'flame', then it's disrespectful to the posters and developers for an "old poster" to post a flame. I certainly don't suggest either and I don't think either lead to constructive discussion.

But that's just the point: posters who have been here longer don't flame much at all. If you do a search under my name or anyone else who's been here for a while, you'd be hard pressed to find anything worth hooting about.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

I'd just wish for more *active* moderating in the forums.

But, I agree that this board is not the most immature I've seen or used on the Internet, but it is by far not the most mature either, and there are some of the "older" users I just ignore because of their "posting style" (to put it mildly).

But, I agree that this board is not the most immature I've seen or used on the Internet, but it is by far not the most mature either, and there are some of the "older" users I just ignore because of their "posting style" (to put it mildly).

HA! If you're talking about folks like Volourn or Gromnir, you're missing half of what this board can offer if you decide to ignore them.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Gromnir says more intelligent stuff than 95% of the members of these forums.

Volourn is safe to ignore.

It is recommended that you ignore Sarge.

Ignoring a poster based on "reputation" is a pretty weak way to do it. The "old guard" (posters like Gromnir, Karzak, Sargallath, Volourn, Whitemithrandir, Visceris/Hades_One, roshan, etc.) can get old at times, but they are also some of the posters who have contributed the most to this community over the years and who still contribute here at Obsidian (in their own way). Even they seem to get tired of saying the same things over and over; yet those same old topics seem to pop up like clockwork whenever new games are discussed. I honestly think it would be a shame for anyone on this Board to lose the input of those posters who have actually lived the shared history of the BIO/BIS/IPLY/OBS Boards.

HA! If you're talking about folks like Volourn or Gromnir, you're missing half of what this board can offer if you decide to ignore them.

Jumping to conclusion now, aren't we? :blink:

Just a couple of minor points now:

Most of the one liners were expressions of opinion, which is certainly valid.

* Maybe this is where we differ. If somebody doesn't explain their views, preferrably in more than one line, it hardly encourages intelligent discussion. It is rare for a one line post to actually be insightful

* While I'm just whinging (and whining) about everything, I also don't like the amount of white space after quote blocks, or the amount of nested quoting people do, or the huge sig lines and images in sig lines...

That could be what bothers me most about a one liner, when it takes up my whole frickin' screen AND is pointless:-PP

I'd like to take a stab at this one as well, as we've received posts, PM's and e-mail about this very issue, and I want to express that this of great concern to us.

Since the announcement two weeks ago, we've had a lot of new folks join our boards -- almost all with great intentions, but we've gained others who simply saw it as an opportunity to have fun at other's expense. From these teething experiences, we've made a real effort internally to grow our web presence in conjunction with the growth of our forums and the community.

During this time, we've upgraded our forum servers, brought our moderator staff up to 11 with more coming soon, we've enabled inappropriate post reporting for all users, we've revised our forum guidelines with new enforcement policies, we're hiring an internal community manager, and we'll continue to grow our moderation team to meet and exceed the demand on the boards.

I just want to assure everyone that we are very serious and commited to making this a fun, mature place to talk about the games we are developing, and I hope that our efforts will become more apparent in the coming days.

I would also welcome any member to send a PM to me or our moderation staff if they'd like to learn more or are interested in helping.

We definitely want to see all of you here, and again, having a fun, mature forum community for all is our ultimate goal.

Thanks,

TG

having a fun, mature forum community for all is our ultimate goal.

i hope obsidian's conception of a 'fun, mature' forum isn't the kind of forum heralded by steel wind earlier, in which censorious prudes threaten posters they don't like with nazi-style 'purges'.

because, y'know, nobody likes a nazi.

dumber than a bag of hammers

"Even they seem to get tired of saying the same things over and over; yet those same old topics seem to pop up like clockwork whenever new games are discussed."

You win.

"Maybe this is where we differ. If somebody doesn't explain their views, preferrably in more than one line, it hardly encourages intelligent discussion. It is rare for a one line post to actually be insightful"

Wrong. You don't need 6 paragraphs to make a point. It's called KISS. If someone states soemthing and a simple no will suffice then by golly that's exactly what I'll post. if further explanation needed, imo, or am I asked in a manner that *I* approve of than i'll expand on the subject matter.

"That could be what bothers me most about a one liner, when it takes up my whole frickin' screen AND is pointless:-PP"

What's funny is that your post here could have been summed in one short sentence yet you wasted space baisclaly saying the same thing three times. Lame. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd like to take a stab at this one as well, as we've received posts, PM's and e-mail about this very issue, and I want to express that this of great concern to us.

Since the announcement two weeks ago, we've had a lot of new folks join our boards -- almost all with great intentions, but we've gained others who simply saw it as an opportunity to have fun at other's expense.  From these teething experiences, we've made a real effort internally to grow our web presence in conjunction with the growth of our forums and the community.

During this time, we've upgraded our forum servers, brought our moderator staff up to 11 with more coming soon, we've enabled inappropriate post reporting for all users, we've revised our forum guidelines with new enforcement policies, we're hiring an internal community manager, and we'll continue to grow our moderation team to meet and exceed the demand on the boards.

I just want to assure everyone that we are very serious and commited to making this a fun, mature place to talk about the games we are developing, and I hope that our efforts will become more apparent in the coming days.

I would also welcome any member to send a PM to me or our moderation staff if they'd like to learn more or are interested in helping.

We definitely want to see all of you here, and again, having a fun, mature forum community for all is our ultimate goal.

Thanks,

TG

Well I am glad to hear this because the Kotor discussion as it was not long ago scared a lot of "serious" potential participants and many I know just ran away. It seemed like every time a good discussion was initiated, it was soon swamped in an mass of pointless and immature comments which made things very annoying to read and impossible to follow. The few post I have made were "simplified" to fit the level of discussion. I was myself completely discouraged and simply renounced to post my opinions on various topics.

I think forums like this one should be a place where you can discuss the games intelligently and have fun in a manner respectful towards other users. Active moderators are definitely needed.

Thanks for taking care of the problem.