Questionable quality of Obsidian boards

Nissa_Red

Hello all,

I am not too sure how to start this topic, and I will try to keep it reasonably short. Also I fully expect to be flamed it, so do not hesitate -_-.

I have been a rather longstanding fan of roleplaying games (no need to post my resume here, as it would probably match many others anyway, Pen & Paper, BG, Planescape, Fallout, Arcanum, you name it). I am not one that has contributed in a very significant or outstanding way to the NWN community like the DLA or CODI team have, so probably my voice shouldn't have as much weight as theirs for example.

Yet, I am still interested in how the game I have been playing for over 2 years now evolves, be it as a potential futur customer, and would like to contribute again too (posting suggestions, bringing positive criticism, supporting the Obsidian team, etc.).

The thing is that I don't feel like contributing to these boards at all. I have seen and been member of boards far worse in "quality" than these, and for anyone who played on PVP servers (or other typical "Nerd" games, aka Counter Strike) knows what I am talking about. No way to post there without getting a healthy (?) lesson of american kiddie slang and insults ;).

I don't mind it to happen on those boards, because well.. there is the right for everyone to express themselves, and as long no real harm is done, why would anyone care ? However, on an official board like this one, of a gaming company that has yet to sell their game to their customers, I think it is... poor PR at best.

I heard that these boards were supposed to be moderated. When I see such threads on an almost daily basis, I keep serioulsy wondering about the real motivation of Obsidian to do so, and about the public they want to get feedback from for their game.

Once again, I don't pretend that my opinion is the only one, or the only valid here, and perhaps is it just better that I looked elsewhere for a new roleplaying game (which I will), if I am wrong about what Obsidian has planned for this game.

Am I entitled to get such a reaction with my astronomical 1 post counter ? Let me just say that my bucks aren't worth more than of the people that I criticize, but they aren't worth less either. I don't like to waste my time, and don't want to waste your either. Please just let me (us) know.

I hardly think that thread is a good representation of the type of forums we have here; I think they're quite the minority. I assume that, like in pretty much any other forum, we get our fair share of spammers, trolls and wankers, but those are usually dealt with, and in a lesser quality than more civilized people.

Granted, I didn't browse the boards and give more than one example to support my post. My bad, if I really feel like it, I could set up a list, but I doubt I will.

As I said, I am still a very occasional reader of these boards, and each time I do, I get the painful feeling that there is no point to it, it is maybe still too soon.

By the way, my point was not to invalidate arguments made by someone that uses the F word every two lines. I am a bit mature than that ;). I also won't contest my freshly acquired "noob" status here.

My point was to criticize people that have a very personal vision (or just no clue ?) and little few hmm... diplomacy to get their point through.

I don't feel like discussing with people who drip causticity like that about how a game like Obsidian's could evolve. Some of it is fine, but all day long, gosh. Maybe it is just me....

EDIT : I can't spel. And sorry for the long typing time, English is not my native tongue, as you can tell :)

Granted, I didn't browse the boards and give more than one example to support my post. My bad, if I really feel like it, I could set up a list, but I doubt I will.

As I said, I am still a very occasional reader of these boards, and each time I do, I get the painful feeling that there is no point to it, it is maybe still too soon.

Okay.

The offenders mostly have only one or two posts under their names. That shows they're not a problem. They post, and leave. Same thing happens on just about every board. The CORE members, the members that post much and post often, are usually kind, intelligent, and witty guys. These people define message boards, not the occasional "fire and forget" trolls.

We have very few people that might fit your quirk who also posts regularly. They can be easily identifiable by their -ism's.

Volourn: Why do you lie? Stop crying. No.

Gromnir: we be roleplaying a half orc on a message board. Ha! Good fun!

JN: Your points are all invalid and you should go die.

Product of the Cosmos: LMAO the government is trying to take over IMO LOL.

Other than those people, no problems.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

I have no use for diplomacy. I am simply very honest and direct. If I see something that is crap and sucks I will say it. I don't see the point of sugar coating things. I am not political correct and there are far too many people out there that are. If you have a problem with that, fine, but that is your problem and not mine.

As for the moderation on these boards, they are on quite the right level. They are harsh to the real trolls but they aren't forum nazis like Bioware's forums. Its a very good balance and primarily why I come here. That and I am looking forward in seeing BiObsidian's first couple of hand-me-downs.

We have very few people that might fit your quirk who also posts regularly. They are:

Volourn: Why do you lie? Stop crying. No.

You forgot "Stop spreading lies, myths and innuendo." and his new trademark, "R00fles!".

Gromnir: we be roleplaying a half orc on a message board. Ha! Good fun!

Yet he still manages to be much more intelligent, logical and perceptible than many people who type in correct English.

JN: Your points are all invalid and you should go die.

But he says that with style.

Product of the Cosmos: LMAO the government is trying to take over IMO LOL.

Just because he's paranoid, doesn't mean there's no one after him.

Haha, I'm not criticizing'em. I often imagine Volourn as a big huggable bear in real life and Gromnir as a... one of those... head bobbers.

JN's witty for all the wrong reasons and I can't help splitting my sides reading Cosmo's posts.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

I've been part of the NWN Community since it was announced and can tell you that immature people post all the time but never stay. The reason NWN has lasted as a game and a community is because of the larger group of mature players (and Hades_One's constant Bio bashing) that contribute worthwhile material and comments.

Know that the trolls come and go, but Hades_One's hatred of the OC is eternal... :)

"Hmm. no wonder Volourn complained about a sour taste in his mouth after last night."

With posts like this you ar eon the track of Pot. Kettle. Black. :D :)

"complete lack of quality in the NWN OC."

You mean the OC you rated 75%? R00fles!

As for the topic, meh, whoc ares if people flame. You *cannot* be hurt on message boards unless you are a weakling. On top of that, I'm not here to play politics but to share my stupid opinions and to read others' stupid opinions.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I assume that, like in pretty much any other forum, we get our fair share of spammers, trolls and wankers, but those are usually dealt with, and in a lesser quality than more civilized people.

spammers, trolls and wankers...

does it matter that i only fit the last two of those categories? i don't spam that much to be honest, but if you think it would make a difference....

dumber than a bag of hammers

I should add Hades_one to my list of board trolls, but I can't quite identify his -ism.

Repetitiveness.....ism...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"complete lack of quality in the NWN OC."

You mean the OC you rated 75%? R00fles!

Oh, and be prepared to hear this "argument" a milion times over.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta