WTB Sword+1 against loading screens!

I love playing PoE and my only issue at all is all the loading screens. It was fine at first and I didn`t really mind much, but then I got to Defiance Bay and now I`m really struggling with patience. Exploring Ondra`s Gift along meant 21 loading screens for me. And they`re just long enough to make it exasperating to have five of them pop up in three minutes and just short enough that you can`t really do much of anything while waiting for them. I now dread new buildings because of this. "What if there`s a second floor! That`ll mean at least four loading screens!". I`m not a programmer but is it really necessary for each floor of a tiny building to load separately?

I started out trying to read a book while waiting for the loading screens (Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden. Great book!) but basically have time for one paragraph and then have to put it down again. I also tried butt clenches but lost my discipline after a while. How do people cope with the loading screens? Is it just me? Maybe I need to meditate...

Edited by SKull
  • Like 1

I think a lot of this could be solved with smarter level design.

For example, travelling to your Stronghold (load screen), then running up to your house and entering (load screen), and then running to the top floor (load screen), resting (cut scene), then running back down (load screen), exiting the house (load screen), and leaving the Stronghold (load screen).

Why not just put the bed on the first floor of the house?

Or, when travelling to a map destination, why not let us choose to load straight into a certain location there?

I'm running the game on raid 0 SSDs and my loading screens have the average length of most other games running off a HDD lol.

550 Mb/s read speed not enough, Sata II is too slow :(

Edited by Mungri

Well, actually, with SATA 2, your max bandwidth would only be around 300MB/s, even with a SSD that can technically support up to 550MB/s... :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This is really weird - I'm on a fairly old HDD and my load screens are nearly instant - I don't see them being any more plentiful than they were in IE games - and they're certainly much faster for me.  My Quick saving *was* nearly instant for a large portion of them game, then around hour 40 it started slowing way down (I assume perhaps because I have a GIANT stash of crap i'm carrying around).   Maybe there's something in particular that's slowing the show down. 

Edited by Gallenger

This is really weird - I'm on a fairly old HDD and my load screens are nearly instant - I don't see them being any more plentiful than they were in IE games - and they're certainly much faster for me.  My Quick saving *was* nearly instant for a large portion of them game, then around hour 40 it started slowing way down (I assume perhaps because I have a GIANT stash of crap i'm carrying around).   Maybe there's something in particular that's slowing the show down. 

I figured that was the case and that they`re not meant to be as slow as they are for me. But my loading screens right now are about...15-20 seconds? When you`re in the Stronghold or in Defiance Bay it`s just terrible. Enter a house - loading screen - walk for two seconds to the stairs - loading screen - nothing on the second floor and down the stairs again -loading scren - out the door - loading screen. Repeat for every house in every area and every time you want to visit the stronghold and it just saps the fun out of exploring for me. I`m pretty sure that whole houses would load in BG and not just one floor at a time. That would already have helped me a lot here.

It`s weird that it changed duration for you though. Maybe there`s some issue with Steam. I suppose we`ll have to be patient for a bit and see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Broad-Sword-Matching-Scabbard/dp/B001THHXDU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427739260&sr=8-4&keywords=sword

and hit your screen. Works :)

Seriously, I am a bit annoyed by the loading screens too, especially switching between city districts - I don't mind on maps or anything like that though.

I don't know if it's linux or unity, but it seems to be pretty well cached (loading screen after the first time loading is like 1-2 seconds, and I don't have a SSD).

Well my stash isn't overly full, I did have a lot of crap in there at one point but sold it all.  It seems that some items persist in merchant stores, in turn that creates bloat in the save game which in turn causes the save time and loads to increase.  When I started my saves were ~1-2MB they're ~13MB now, and it seems that the game is loading a lot of game data into locallow as well.

http://i.imgur.com/sxMvouI.png

Edited by Mashiki