High Intelligence nerfing DoTs and HoTs?

Ansa

Question

Reposted from Steam boards,

It seems raising Intelligence happily increases duration of EVERYTHING, including HoT spells and DoT spells/effects, making them last longer, but doing same damage/healing, which in turn is bad, of course...

I would do a hard guess same problem goes for "Survival" skill extending potion effects - resulting in same amount of healing over much longer time with much smaller ticks.

1) Paladin Lay on Hands Endurance gain test by Nagumo

Ok i tested it at least for lay on hands for a paladin: (Both palas are exactly the same char except intelligence)

1. Char: Int 19 Level 1 = 33,3 endurance about 7,3sec

2. Char: Int 04 Level 1 = 33,3 endurance about 3,5sec

The point is: Yes for lay on hands it is worse but i don't know how many HoTs and Dots are in the game. Maybe they didn't thought abourt that point, maybe they said that the system works at least for most of the spells. For me it's the first RPG ever in which you got worser by improving a stat

2) Rogue tests by Eel

What's worse is rogue's Deep Wounds talent that ostensibly add DOT on each attack. Well, the problem is - it's not Damage Over Time, it's Damage _After_ Time. And the timer gets reset each time my rogue lands a strike, so the only case in which it actually gets procced is if I utilize "shoot and run" tactic

3) Chanters test by Sajah

Concerning chants, I did a bit of digging. Int doesn't affect duration, but crits do (go figure, I got an 18s of that lv 3 dragon aoe phrase on one mob while all others were at 12s...). 
And another thing, don't mistake the chanting duration with the applied effect duration. When you chant you apply an effect on a creature, but that effect is another instance, it's not part of your chant anymore after it's been applied. The duration and linger of the chant just determine if anyone coming in the aoe will be affected by the chant (ie get struck by an effect of the chant).

4) Spell tests by Blinkicide

"I can speak to dots...the info you get when you right click it appears incorrect. The spell will say d damage over t time. As you increase your int, t will increase but d remains constant in the spell description.

However, when you cast the spell, the log reports what appears to be full damage the spell will do when it initially lands and the log-reported d is much higher than the spell description, so I beleive that is because it's calculating a higher damage based on an increased duration."

Edited by Ansa

11 answers to this question

Yea it's pretty damn awful. I can't believe they missed on such a huge thing like this as I believe most players will quickly realize that intelligence works poorly on a lot of skills.

This game feels more and mor elike one where you want to wait for a month or two before playing it which is a shame.

If I remember correctly, they mentioned that there is an error of the description and not of the in-battle implementation. Basically, these spells are doing a fixed damage per "tick" and if the duration is increased so is the total damage.

If I remember correctly, they mentioned that there is an error of the description and not of the in-battle implementation. Basically, these spells are doing a fixed damage per "tick" and if the duration is increased so is the total damage.

See this calculation:

1) Paladin Lay on Hands Endurance gain test by Nagumo

Ok i tested it at least for lay on hands for a paladin: (Both palas are exactly the same char except intelligence)

1. Char: Int 19 Level 1 = 33,3 endurance about 7,3sec

2. Char: Int 04 Level 1 = 33,3 endurance about 3,5sec.

Clearly something more than just the ui is going on.

Yeah, there is a bug here. Hope they fix it very soon.

Another beta game released as a finished title. This is almost as buggy as good old ToEE.
I was so gonna play it but seeing how terrible bugs it has I will just have put it off I guess :/

Well, I would tell this is like Baldur's Gate in its release. The good news are now we have online patches and these kind of forums so it can be fixed faster. A good example is patch 1.03, which was wonderful. I hope they fix this one (And the few gamebreaking bugs more) in 1.04.

Okay, since nobody responded I tested it myself. HoTs do infact heal for less than what the tooltip says if the duration is lower than the base duration. I'm guessing the Damage/Heal value listed in the tooltip are based on the base duration. I can confirm that if you have lower duration than the base duration HoTs will heal for less. Based on this I can deduce that if you have higher duration than the base, HoTs will heal for more than the listed tooltip value.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if the descriptions of D/HoT effects gave [(Damage or Healing) per (Unit Time)] instead of [(Total Base Damage or Healing) per (Base Duration)].  There would be less confusion and it would be easier to see from the UI whether these effects were behaving as expected in response to changes (such as increasing a relevant attribute).

Edit: It would also help if those effects would put entries into the combat log each time they tick.

Edited by Emptiness