Yes I understand this is a controversial question...

so chill out when I ask this.

Do you think theres a possibility that the devs will include Party AI so we don't have to micro manage all their spells? While I love micro managing, when its my own character. When I find a new NPC and he has 15 new spells for me to study, it doesn't become fun for me to get a new follower whos a different class, I tend to sigh and go "Right, gotta take 15 minutes outta my time to read through these carefully".

Anyway, you might say this game isn't for me and your probably right. My favorite RPG is Arcanum and unfortunately there is nothing like it, not even this game touches it,  but I still would like to try and get into this and I think having Party AI would really help : )

• Like 1

Devs have said previously that they'd have liked to have party AI but weren't able to fit it into the release. This doesn't guarantee it'll reappear in a patch or expansion, but the intent might well be there. 

If handling 6 characters is too much you could just adventure with 3 or 4 - and put down the difficulty to match if necessary.

If you knew...why bother being pretentious and starting your own thread?   Plenty of other threads regarding this you could have added to...but noooo...gotta start a new one huh?

And this was always advertised as it was it was.  No lies, traps, gimmicks.  Heavy focus on micromanagement.   Accept it, deal it with it, learn to do it...or....

Devs have said previously that they'd have liked to have party AI but weren't able to fit it into the release. This doesn't guarantee it'll reappear in a patch or expansion, but the intent might well be there. 

If handling 6 characters is too much you could just adventure with 3 or 4 - and put down the difficulty to match if necessary.

Least the intention was/is there.

You suggest a good idea, I might give that a try : )

Is there any difference between the companions when it comes to active/passive abilities? Do some of them require more/less micromanagement than others? (Not really asking for specifics/spoilers, just a general idea.) Or would I be better off using adventurer's hall characters for "low maintenance" party members?

Edited by dorkboy

This statement is false.

I really don't see how the AI could possible handle friendly fire, action delay and AOE well. I'm having a hard time hitting things properly as a Wizard already because enemies won't conform to my expectations. Luckily, Edér can take it when I occasionally need to turn his surroundings into a crisp. :fdevil:

Edited by Yenkaz

Dragon Age: Origins had a nice Tactics system. It didn't do everything for you, but if you dug into it a little you could create some useful setups such as making a warrior/rogue knockdown an enemy who attacked your mages or control when your party healed themselves. 

That being said, the Engagement mechanic would make that hard. I'm not sure how the AI would react to having a script demande it to protect X character when its already engaged to 2 monsters. It would probably just eat 2 disengagement strikes.

Dragon Age: Origins had a nice Tactics system. It didn't do everything for you, but if you dug into it a little you could create some useful setups such as making a warrior/rogue knockdown an enemy who attacked your mages or control when your party healed themselves. 

That being said, the Engagement mechanic would make that hard. I'm not sure how the AI would react to having a script demande it to protect X character when its already engaged to 2 monsters. It would probably just eat 2 disengagement strikes.

I agree, this is one thing DA got it right.

OP - u can also try building your characters with passive skills, so u dont have to micromanage too much.

You can also create a lvl 1 priest or whatever it is, and learn his skills slowly, or just skip a priest (or whatever character that gives u problem) and create your own henchman :D

what_can_cb510.png

Is there any difference between the companions when it comes to active/passive abilities? Do some of them require more/less micromanagement than others? (Not really asking for specifics/spoilers, just a general idea.) Or would I be better off using adventurer's hall characters for "low maintenance" party members?

Absolutely. The 'problem' companions are the Priest, the Wizard, and the Druid - the three classes with more than a dozen active abilities each. The others (Fighter, Ranger, Chanter, Cipher, Paladin) are low-micromanagement classes for the most part; the Cipher does have a few abilities, but they're both not per-rest (or per-encounter) and faster to learn than the others because she has fewer of them than the 'problem' classes.

But triggered AI gives you the freedom to automate the simpler classes knockdowns and flame strikes and just focus on placing spells for your casters, you're not trying to automate difficult fights/choices/targeting, just the more repetitive aspects.