Ted Cruz: The Comedy Gold that Keeps on Giving

ktchong

Or, i would rather wager that the chance is higher that the Republicans adapt to the change of demographics and its subsequent values. 

Yep, I think that's the likeliest outcome. It'll be a pretty dramatic change though. 

The other possibility is that the GOP doesn't change, leaving the Democrats as the uncontested ruling party for a couple of cycles, until it splits down the middle into a liberal and conservative half. At that point, whatever sane voters the GOP has left will migrate to the con-dems leaving the rump GOP to wither away as an insignificant third party with a glorious past.

Depends on the Democrats really. Any party in power for too long will eat itself up. The cracks are already showing i would say.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority

I believe Rand Paul has the power to change this if he becomes the republican nominee in 2016.

If the US survives another 10 years

If? What, are you expecting us to disappear?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I wonder if he is completely Colbert-ing this. 

Who would be Colbert-ing what?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Ted Cruz ?

As in he's playing a persona, doesn't actually believe in anything he says. 

He does seem that way. It seems like the only time I ever believe he means what he says is when he says something I don't like.

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority

I believe Rand Paul has the power to change this if he becomes the republican nominee in 2016.

Leftists expect a civil war soon because of income inequality. Racists expect a race war. Libertanians expect a war between the states and the federal government. 

Just pick the one that you think fits the best for your agenda.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority.

LOL

No. I'm just not ruling out the possibility.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Leftists expect a civil war soon because of income inequality. Racists expect a race war. Libertanians expect a war between the states and the federal government. 

Just pick the one that you think fits the best for your agenda.

Doesn't have to be a war. Americans are, by and large, too old and too unfit to fight a proper civil war anyway. It's much more likely that any collapse of the US would be more like the collapse of the USSR, with any violence relatively local and relatively contained, and the disruption mainly economic and social.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority.

LOL

What's so funny about that?

Doesn't have to be a war. Americans are, by and large, too old and too unfit to fight a proper civil war anyway. It's much more likely that any collapse of the US would be more like the collapse of the USSR, with any violence relatively local and relatively contained, and the disruption mainly economic and social.

I just can't imagine a collapse of the US...

EDIT: Oops. Why do I keep double posting!?

Edited by Namutree

LOL

You weren't joking? I thought that was deadpan humor.

LOL

Not joking.

Edited by Namutree

LOL

Not joking.

Okay.

The GOP's long-term problem is that its electoral base consists of old and aging white men who actively shut down any attempt to address concerns relevant to any other demographic as "playing the race card" or "identity politics" or other such nonsense.

Rand Paul panders to exactly that base.

Therefore, I thought you must have been joking.

Not joking.

Okay.

The GOP's long-term problem is that its electoral base consists of old and aging white men who actively shut down any attempt to address concerns relevant to any other demographic as "playing the race card" or "identity politics" or other such nonsense.

Rand Paul panders to exactly that base.

Therefore, I thought you must have been joking.

I'm guessing you haven't been following Rand Paul very closely. Rand Paul does care about African American issues; he's also good at showing it.

https://youtu.be/BhjnyKJsB3I

https://youtu.be/mOI3-SrFZyg

https://youtu.be/6d6wA0MVMDM

The GOP definitely has problems and needs to be reformed, and I think making Rand Paul the nominee (he doesn't need to win; although that would be a bonus) would be when those reforms within the GOP begin.

EDIT: How exactly does he cater to that base, anyway? He was happy to see the defense of marriage act struck down (implying he wouldn't appoint any SCJ's that would defend any similar laws), he's extremely liberal when it comes to marijuana (by US politician standards), and wants to lower US involvement in foreign affairs. All things the old pseudo "conservatives" hate.

Edited by Namutree

Uh... no. Just... no. 

Seriously, @Namutree, if you think that's "caring about African American issues" and "good at showing it..." well, I don't know what to say.

Edit: okay, I'll try.

What he's doing here is this: one, he realizes that the GOP needs black voters. Two, his idea of how to get them is to sell them a couple of hoary libertarian talking points he thinks will resonate with them. And three, he's not even trying to sell them to black voters here: he's trying to sell the idea that he could sell them to black voters to his white voters.

So, no. Even Karl Rove knows the GOP needs black and Hispanic votes to win. That's not enough. That's not even a start.

Edited by PrimeJunta

Uh... no. Just... no. 

Seriously, @Namutree, if you think that's "caring about African American issues" and "good at showing it..." well, I don't know what to say.

Are you suggesting African Americans don't care about criminal justice reforms?

EDIT: What do you think he would have to do to say that he cares about African American issues? 

Edited by Namutree

EDIT: What do you think he would have to do to say that he cares about African American issues? 

If I had seen him staring down the riot cops in Ferguson, then I might think he actually cares.

As it is, all he cares about is libertarian issues. He just thinks he might be able to sell them to black voters. Not the same thing at all.

If I had seen him staring down the riot cops in Ferguson, then I might think he actually cares.

As it is, all he cares about is libertarian issues. He just thinks he might be able to sell them to black voters. Not the same thing at all.

What would staring down riot cops accomplish?

• Like 1

A firm condemnation on white power structures.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

A firm condemnation on white power structures.

I don't think staring people down is much of a condemnation. I think introducing or voting on laws that affect such things would have better results.

I wasn't serious.

I do not know much about Rand Paul to know his stances on thing A or issue B. But i can tell from his description by the media that he is a rich white man that is interested owning more money by shooting minorities and poor for daring to venture onto his lawn. He also likes subservient women, God and the flag.

Next thing you're trying to say that media might be exaggerating or even lying or something.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Nothing. But it would go some way to convincing me that he cares about issues relevant to African-Americans, as opposed to merely caring about their votes. (That part I can certainly believe.)

Had you asked me what I think a genuinely unifying GOP figure would look like, though, I would've answered something like this:

He—or she—would have a significant career in local and state politics: say, as a mayor of a medium-sized or larger Southern city, then as state governor. During this time, the concrete, immediate conditions for blacks and Hispanics would have materially improved: much less police violence and harassment, much better odds of getting treated justly by the courts, much more and better jobs, much better schools, much less crime, and so on. Consequently, racial tensions would have dropped significantly: as things got worse elsewhere, this figure's city and state would have gone against the trend. Due to these concrete accomplishments, he or she would enjoy genuine grass-roots support across racial lines in his or her city and state. He or she could then point to these accomplishments in his or her campaign in national politics, and model his or her program on them.

Rand Paul just isn't that figure. He's a good example of everything that's wrong with the American political system these days -- second-generation politician riding the party machine directly into national office, then repackaging his talking points to whoever will listen. With a nice dollop of populist Tea Party pap for seasoning, and a good many reversals along the way depending on which way the wind blows.

(Also, libertarian, which is the biggest con the American corporate-political elite has managed to pull on the electorate. I mean, damn -- they've somehow engineered it so that the only viable alternatives to the corrupt Dem/GOP+corporate duopoly are even more corporate-friendly. How did they do that?) 

Edited by PrimeJunta

Next thing you're trying to say that media might be exaggerating or even lying or something.

:lol:  Best comment yet!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell