Antialiasing ?

Skysect

Question

I was opened a topic about that before release . I am trying to use forced AA from my graphic card's panel . but it seems not working . Especially when I creating characters they looking terrible . I am not looking for Dragon Age 3 graphics . But weapons etc . pixellated and it seems there isn't any filter . Also wondering why no graphic options about them ? Actually even don't have any idea where is the problem . Maybe this game not working with Nvidia Card . But it seems working in my graphic driver panel .

Again I see people trying to use SMAA + MSAA. Its only going to add more artifacts, especially to text. The best thing for this game is ReShade 0.18 + SweetFX 2.0 if you want to use additional graphics features. Notice the bottom UI text when MSAA and SMAA are enabled together (without anything else set to "1" in SweetFX_settings.txt file). You actually get additional aliasing and edges don't look right at all. 

I am also confused why this game does not utilitze DSR properly. If I use FullScreen Mode and select 4K DSR/SSAA resolution on my 1080p monitor, all games use DSR properly, but not PoE. To make PoE use 4K DSR on my 1080p, I have to actually have to set my desktop to 4K and then run the game. That should NOT be needed, unless the game is running Borderless Window mode, which it isn't. Its set to FullScreen mode. Its a definite game bug.

I have not looked through the options, but is there a way to increase the size of the in-game UI? 4K DSR makes everything smaller, but most games allow you to compensate for that by increasing the size of UI/UI features...

For those using Reshade who might want something a bit different...a bit darker and a lot more colorful (I don't really care for the washed-out look), attached is my MasterEffect.h file you can use with your other Reshade files.  Just rename your current MasterEffect.h file to MasterEffectOLD.h, put my file in the root and fire up PoE and see what you think.  I like it much better than the default, but that's just my peepers, maybe... ;) (If you don't like it then you can delete my file and name your default file and you are back where you started.)

I'm also running the game in conjunction with graphics slider set to maximum quality.  Very nice....!

Important: it pays to calibrate your your monitor correctly before doing anything like this. Here is the web resource I use:

LCD monitor test images

Pay closest attention to your black levels and white-balance adjustments...they are all handy, however.  Also, make sure your GPU settings for color are set to their manufacturer defaults, along with gamma, etc., before you begin calibrating your monitor.

That is not enough. If you want to calibrate your monitor PROPERLY, you will need to get either i1Display Pro or ColorMunki Display hardware colorimeters (NOT inaccurate Spyder crap) and use dispcalGUI 2.9.0.7 with ArgyllCMS 1.7.0 Dev. Beta, which is 100% freeware with best calibration accuracy!. i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display use the same hardware, but i1Display Pro supports more software applications, which is irrelevant since ArgyllCMS is free and supports both ColorMunki Display and i1Display Pro. ColorMunki Display goes for about $175 and i1Display Pro goes for about $250. Its not something you need to upgrade and you can use those devices on monitors, TV's, projectors, etc. A one-time purchase to calibrate all your displays. Games will only utilize the grayscale part of calibration/ICC profile via software LUT, but it is still worth it.

P.S. Don't bother downloaded ICC profiles for your monitor/TV model because each individual unit needs it own separate calibration and you can end up with worse image accuracy if you download an ICC profile someone created using their own unit of the same model.

I very much agree with MonarchX about calibration. For me that's an Integral part of owning a monitor. i1 Pro FTW :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I can confirm new patch doesn't fix anything . New patch planned on May and probably nothing about this again .

I confirm. And i don't think that it is a priority for them.

But, as said MonarchX, if you use Reshape & SweetFX, you can get a real good result.

1527234074-capture-d-ecran-2018-05-25-a-

I very much agree with MonarchX about calibration. For me that's an Integral part of owning a monitor. i1 Pro FTW :)

Off-topic (regarding calibration and i1 Pro):

ArgyllCMS FTW! I've yet to come across software that can create a software LUT with such precision. Most software LUT calibrations are done with 10-20 grayscale % level patterns. ArgyllCMS uses several passes and over 200 patterns, which results in a very even, almost distortion-free gradient and of course unprecedented accuracy. i1Profiler for i1Display Pro is quite bad.

i1 Pro is a spectrophotometer. It CAN be more accurate than colorimeters, which are based purely on display-type tables, because it measures the actual light. Its great for profiling a colorimeter, but by itself, its quite limited when it comes to dark/black grayscale measurements, which are the most important ones for both games and films. Profiling i1Display Pro with i1Pro is the best thing you can do, but I had bad luck with i1Pro I purchased. Profiling my i1Display Pro with i1Pro resulted in very VERY blue grayscale. That i1Pro must have been defective or really old. I am not really sure...

On-topic:

- Does setting the game to the highest quality enable 8x MSAA? 

- For nVidia users, the absolute best AA effect you can get is by doing the following:

1. Creating a profile specifically for PoE.exe in nVidia Inspector and setting FXAA Predefined Usage to Allowed and setting Toggle FXAA On/Off to On. nVidia FXAA is of better and higher quality than SweetFX FXAA.

2. Using ReShade 0.18 + SweetFX 2.0 release to enable 2 things: LumaSharpen (default settings) to offset FXAA blur and Dithering (choose method 2)

That will result in the best possible image quality. You will get the best aliasing without any blur!

Edited by MonarchX