Antialiasing ?

Skysect

Question

I was opened a topic about that before release . I am trying to use forced AA from my graphic card's panel . but it seems not working . Especially when I creating characters they looking terrible . I am not looking for Dragon Age 3 graphics . But weapons etc . pixellated and it seems there isn't any filter . Also wondering why no graphic options about them ? Actually even don't have any idea where is the problem . Maybe this game not working with Nvidia Card . But it seems working in my graphic driver panel .

[...]

Thanks!  I'm going to try this momentarily! 

I wanted to add that I had tried forcing FSAA *Supersampling* on at the driver level (Catalyst 15.3's)--and it works, but not very well.  Whether I set 2x or 8x, or setup up edge-AA only, from 2x-24x, I get very, very blurry characters--doesn't matter the level I set!  It's all the same.  I can get rid of the blurriness by setting everything to MSAA...but then, I get no result at all... ;)   That tells me that really effective AA is going to have to come through the game engine (or through a game-specific executable like yours!)

If I use the IE Mod to force in-game FSAA, I can see no difference between 0 and 8 or even 16...so my thinking is that in the game engine itself MSAA is broken, and the engine isn't compatible with standard OpenGL API command structures from either nVidia or Ati.

But thanks for your utility...!  Will get back with feedback... ;)

Feedback:  Great...!  Good work...works flawlessly...can see a big difference...no blurring at all!  Thanks again!  (I especially like the visual feed back to let you know it's running.) Very nicely done!

I'm running a 2GB 7850 @ ~1GHz core, stock ram & cooling. Win 8.1x64, 8GB's ram.  That's it on the essentials.

Well, you're welcome, but I'd like to say that I don't want to take any credit for this.

I've done nothing but take a tool (Reshade) and set it up to work with the game. Took an effects pack for said tool (MasterEffects), enabled SMAA and tweaked it a little to my liking.

So credit where credit is due:

Reshade: http://reshade.me/

MasterEffects: http://reshade.me/forum/shaderpack-mastereffect/161-mastereffect-reborn-official-thread#381

And what I'd really like to see is a native SMAA implementation in the game.

It's free to use, it should be easy to implement, and it could be set up to work on 3D assets only.

https://github.com/iryoku/smaa

Feedback:  Great...!  Good work...works flawlessly...can see a big difference...no blurring at all!  Thanks again!  (I especially like the visual feed back to let you know it's running.) Very nicely done!

I'm running a 2GB 7850 @ ~1GHz core, stock ram & cooling. Win 8.1x64, 8GB's ram.  That's it on the essentials.

Hi, 

Can you explain how it's done (step by step ) to use and configure these tools please ?

Did you use Reshade and MasterEffects ? Or Redshape and sfx ?

I am a little confused. What tools did you use ? And procedure of installatioin / associated settings ?

it would be really nice. thank you

Very thanks a lot.

Edit : I downloaded MasterEffect and ReShade (not with sweetFX). 

Redshape for aliasing and mastereffect for an optimal ? Is that right ?

Edited by Ekkyo

1527234074-capture-d-ecran-2018-05-25-a-

Ok I think I did not understand in fact ( I do not read English very well ) . Just put (http://www26.zippysh...uSL0R/file.html) it in the POE directory and that's it ? Or does it make other manipulations ? Or I understood absolutely nothing about what to do?

Win 8.1 64 bit.

GPU : 970 Directx 11

Yes, just extract that file to your PoE directory, so that D3D9.dll, MasterEffect.h, ReShade.fx and the MasterEffect folder end up alongside the PillarsOfEternity.exe.

If you're not used to handling rar files, have a zip file with the same contents: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/QUWGBlpG/file.html

Ok I think I did not understand in fact ( I do not read English very well ) . Just put (http://www26.zippysh...uSL0R/file.html) it in the POE directory and that's it ? Or does it make other manipulations ? Or I understood absolutely nothing about what to do?

Win 8.1 64 bit.

Yes, just extract that file to your PoE directory, so that D3D9.dll, MasterEffect.h, ReShade.fx and the MasterEffect folder end up alongside the PillarsOfEternity.exe.

If you're not used to handling rar files, have a zip file with the same contents: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/QUWGBlpG/file.html

Ok very thanks a lot. I'm goind to test this this night...

Concretely , it brings what ( if it works ) ? Aliasing ? Color effects ?

And another question : Should I disable MSAA in the game? Or activate something else in the nvidia control panel ?

Thank you to you for your patience and sharing.

Edit : And it works with nividia 970 card ? (The original problem)

Edited by Ekkyo

And another question : Should I disable MSAA in the game? Or activate something else in the nvidia control panel ?

It works like FXAA, but a lot less blurry. So yeah, it is Antialiasing. No color effects are activated, but can be activated in the MasterEffect.h file. I didn't tweak any of those, though.

MSAA should be kept activated. Nothing to do in the Nvidia panel.

This should work just fine, as is, with the unmodified game.

And yes, this should work with any graphics card, but only on PC.

Edited by 3941

It works like FXAA, but a lot less blurry. So yeah, it is Antialiasing. No color effects are activated, but can be activated in the MasterEffect.h file. I didn't tweak any of those, though.

MSAA should be kept activated. Nothing to do in the Nvidia panel.

This should work just fine, as is, with the unmodified game.

And yes, this should work with any graphics card, but only on PC.

Ok ...

I thought that in addition to managing aliasing , that appointment the most beautiful textures (default) . What scares me in what you say is that I tried to force the FXAA in my Nvidia control panel , the difference I saw was certainly more blurred images , but especially aliasing identical ...

I would see so tonight . I hope ...

[...]

Thanks!  I'm going to try this momentarily! 

I wanted to add that I had tried forcing FSAA *Supersampling* on at the driver level (Catalyst 15.3's)--and it works, but not very well.  Whether I set 2x or 8x, or setup up edge-AA only, from 2x-24x, I get very, very blurry characters--doesn't matter the level I set!  It's all the same.  I can get rid of the blurriness by setting everything to MSAA...but then, I get no result at all... ;)   That tells me that really effective AA is going to have to come through the game engine (or through a game-specific executable like yours!)

If I use the IE Mod to force in-game FSAA, I can see no difference between 0 and 8 or even 16...so my thinking is that in the game engine itself MSAA is broken, and the engine isn't compatible with standard OpenGL API command structures from either nVidia or Ati.

But thanks for your utility...!  Will get back with feedback... ;)

Well, you're welcome, but I'd like to say that I don't want to take any credit for this.

I've done nothing but take a tool (Reshade) and set it up to work with the game. Took an effects pack for said tool (MasterEffects), enabled SMAA and tweaked it a little to my liking.

So credit where credit is due:

Reshade: http://reshade.me/

MasterEffects: http://reshade.me/forum/shaderpack-mastereffect/161-mastereffect-reborn-official-thread#381

And what I'd really like to see is a native SMAA implementation in the game.

It's free to use, it should be easy to implement, and it could be set up to work on 3D assets only.

https://github.com/iryoku/smaa

Well, using to the tool to apply in this game was an inspired idea...;)  Glad you had the thought....;)  And yes, the credit does belong to you in that regard.

You are right, of course, that the game should include many more internal image-quality controls than at present...it could be that what you've done here will inspire Obsidian in that direction, although I'm sure they knew what was missing when they shipped the game...'tis a puzzle, though, why this was overlooked for so long...

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

nVidia DSR doesn't work with Pillars of Eternity (the Unity engine doesn't seem to support it).

DSR and custom resolution downsampling both work with Pillars of Eternity, you just have to set the resolution on your desktop before launching the game (and then select it in-game, if it wasn't already applied).

-----

Slightly off-topic, but related to rendering weirdness:

At 1920x1080, if you use a zoom range of 0.75 - 1.5, it's slightly annoying to get back to the default zoom level using the mouse wheel if you zoom in by 3 or more levels - you have to zoom out all the way, then back in, or hit the Reset Zoom button.

If you use a zoom range of 0.5 - 1.5, you can get back to the default zoom level after zooming in 3 or more levels using the mouse wheel, but the background is blurred slightly unless you zoom out all the way, then back in, or hit the Reset Zoom button.

• Like 1

The included effects package has a lot more effects to play with, and if you want to play around, look at the MasterEffect.h file.

Just keep in mind you're not only applying effects to the background, but everything.

Anyway, have it, try it and hopefully enjoy it like I do:

http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/jB6uSL0R/file.html

Makes my game crash :(

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There is hope!

Patch Notes: 1.03 https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

Added graphics setting to toggle antialiasing levels. This can improve performance on lower end machines when disabled.

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

Any error message?

Also, you might be missing this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

None; just the standard Windows message that asks me whether I want to quit the program or look for a solution online.

Quite positive I'm missing the Visual C++ thing. I might try getting it this weekend.

On other news, I messaged a dev about SMAA and its possible inclusion in PoE and this was the answer:

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely we'll have the time to implement a minor graphical improvement like that in a patch.  It looks neat, though, I'll remember it when we're working on the expansion.

So hopefully the expansion will bring 3D-models-only SMAA to the table :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There is hope!

Patch Notes: 1.03 https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

Added graphics setting to toggle antialiasing levels. This can improve performance on lower end machines when disabled.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Doesn't sound like the actually changed the implementation but make it just adjustable.

Just registered to leave you guys a little present.

A simple Reshade effect (something like SweetFX, maybe you've heard about that), I've set up for myself. It adds SMAA to the game. In fact, to everything, even the GUI.

So some things actually slightly suffer from this. Text for example. It's much better than using FXAA though.

I really like what it does to the 3D models, though

The included effects package has a lot more effects to play with, and if you want to play around, look at the MasterEffect.h file.

Just keep in mind you're not only applying effects to the background, but everything.

Oh, MasterEffects seems to be way more effective than the SMAA in SweetFX (with Reshade), got to give that a try. Speaking of GUI and text, doesn't Reshade support reading the depth buffer? Maybe somebody can come up with a way to only effect the characters (and maybe the backgrounds for other stuff) but not the GUI?

nVidia DSR doesn't work with Pillars of Eternity (the Unity engine doesn't seem to support it).

DSR and custom resolution downsampling both work with Pillars of Eternity, you just have to set the resolution on your desktop before launching the game (and then select it in-game, if it wasn't already applied).

True! To add to that, I got to mostly change the resolution back to normal, close the window and than choose the higher resolution.

DSR (in my case 1440p to 1080p with 30 & blur) in combination with Reshade/SweetFX Lumasharpen was the best combination this far. Ingame AA or forcing via driver did nothing for me.

Any error message?

Also, you might be missing this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

None; just the standard Windows message that asks me whether I want to quit the program or look for a solution online.

Quite positive I'm missing the Visual C++ thing. I might try getting it this weekend.

On other news, I messaged a dev about SMAA and its possible inclusion in PoE and this was the answer:

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely we'll have the time to implement a minor graphical improvement like that in a patch.  It looks neat, though, I'll remember it when we're working on the expansion.

Minor ? I am thinking it's not minor . It's not gamebreaking but seems horrible sorry .

• Like 1

Any error message?

Minor ? I am thinking it's not minor . It's not gamebreaking but seems horrible sorry .

For some reason nowadays developer don't seem to care about image quality (in contrast to effects and high poly) no more... 10 years ago I couldn't even imagine playing without at least 4 MSAA + transparency and now you got to make due with ****ty post processing filter alone. Or spend more processing power than they save with modern rendering techniques (that make MSAA harder to implement) on rendering in ridiculously high resolutions to at least have a somehow acceptable picture. Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation are two harder great recent games that suffer from this.

Speaking of GUI and text, doesn't Reshade support reading the depth buffer? Maybe somebody can come up with a way to only effect the characters (and maybe the backgrounds for other stuff) but not the GUI?

Yes, but when you look at their game compatibility list, access to the depth buffer is the most common thing missing from a lot of games.

Unfortunately, Pillars of Eternity is one of those games. Well, ReShade is still beeing lively developed, so maybe they'll fix it at some point.

• Like 1

Win 8.1 64 bit.

Hi.

Ok it works !! The characters are not pixelled, more smoother.

Thanks.

Now, i look for taking more color. I saw a few threads about this. With MasterEffect or an another like SweetFX ?!!

I find a french thread about Redshape and SweetFX : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/42-29729-38959507-3-0-1-0-sweetfx-et-autre-reshade.htm

The result : http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/21520/full/

I'll try this night.

I have one question : Redshape for aliasing, SweetFX for the render (colors, effects...) and what is it GeDoSaTo ?

You can not use the original SweetFX and ReShade at the same time. There is however, a SweetFX effects package for ReShade, afaik.

MasterEffect includes most of the SweetFX effects though.

GeDoSaTo is for using downsampling in games which don't support it.

I don't find downsampling to be a good option in PoE, because of the way the background is rendered. Basically you lose the option to zoom in, or to reset the zoom to a playable default...

I've copied the color settings, and tried to emulate the sharpening, from that SweetFX preset into my MasterEffect preset.

Default: http://i.imgur.com/YieQzf2.jpg

With color adjustments: http://i.imgur.com/iKMLCnJ.jpg

With added sharpening: http://i.imgur.com/rGuRHZq.jpg

I don't like the extra sharpening, because it's detrimental to the antialiasing, so I'll leave it out of this preset: http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/GNY9hl32/file.html

Personally, I prefer the default colors..

If you want to use the extra sharpening, open MasterEffect.h in a text editor, find #define USE_SHARPENING 0 and set it to 1.

You're also very welcome to play with all the different effect settings in that file by yourself. I'll not make it my habit to create presets to everybody's liking here.

This thread is about antialiasing anyway, not about colors.

Edited by 3941

Very thanks a lot 3941 very very thanks !!

I prefer with color adjustments. But without sharpening me too. So i'm going to change MasterEffect.h in your link to my POE folder.

Very good job and sharing.

You're new package  is "With color adjustments" and "With added sharpening" ?

Edited by Ekkyo