Custom Characters in Stronghold

Hey there! I just watched the latest PAX video and also checked the wiki. From how I understand you have a total of 6 Characters in your Party. And in total there are 8 Premade Characters plus 8 you can create manually.

But in the explanation about the Stronghold it was mentioned, that you can send your characters which are not in the party to do missions which can bring in additional loot.

Doesn't this mean that you basically have to create these 8 manual characters just to run jobs in your stronghold to max out the potential there?

There is no "Have To", as the stronghold is mostly optional content. As for whether or not your custom companions can work in the 'Hold, that remains to be seen. Signs point to yes but keep in mind that each custom character costs a hefty amount of coin to recruit, especially if they are higher level. 

I'm curious about this as well. Will hiring additional adventurers increase the efficacy of an optimally run stronghold?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Heh, I think it would be funny if the hirelings could actually sometimes be a liability.  I mean, rogues, barbarians, and fighters can get into a lot of mischief in society.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I want my stronghold to be a repository of knowledge and a sanctuary for lost souls.  Having a strong commercial base would be a great help also, especially since the tax revenue would help keep things in the black.  Maintaining and policing the roads is a must.  I'd pick a broad mix of hirelings and set up two task forces, one to oversee the outside area, towns, and road.  The other would see to affairs inside the stronghold proper.  Problem is, you can't always trust hirelings, so I'd like to adventure with them first to get a feel for them before I entrust my stronghold.  Then I'll need to have people... no, not *spying,* just keeping an eye out on things and sending updates to me regularly.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just to be clear --there's a difference between hirelings and hired adventurers. Adventurers can join your party and hirelings are specific to the stronghold.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Just to be clear --there's a difference between hirelings and hired adventurers. Adventurers can join your party and hirelings are specific to the stronghold.

ohhhh, I didn't know that.  I actually never read anything about the game that I don't see here or get as an update in my email.

Obsidian Plays

Yeah, that is the issue I see here. I have no problems with the hireling mechanic. But it feels kinda stupid to create a custom party members just to let them work in the stronghold just so you don't miss out on some additional loot.

Right. We know that idle companions can be sent on stronghold missions and guard duty, but how much of it, if at all...can be applied to adventurers? Maybe this should have been one of the questions asked for the Q/A thread.

I'm curious about this as well. Will hiring additional adventurers increase the efficacy of an optimally run stronghold?

Yep - they will increase it. Sometimes adventurers staying in the stronghold can be send on a mission (eg. throw away beggar/drukard/mischief from your stronghold (strongholds will have random events)), or they can just help defend your stronghold in case of the raid on it (they can permanently die) and there may or may not be any other "uses" of adventurers. I think i heard some time ago that you can have up to 16 companions total - so 8 with soul (eg Hiravias) and 8 souless. 

Look for the vid from last PAX - some things were discussed there.

My understanding was that these missions applied to idle companions. I didn't hear or read anything explicit whether this also applied to hired adventurers.

My understanding was that these missions applied to idle companions. I didn't hear or read anything explicit whether this also applied to hired adventurers.

Why wouldn't they? If you are playing a game only with hired adventurers, why would they block you out of content? Other than story bits and such, I don't foresee any mechanical difference between companions and adventurers, because to do so would be to punish people for choosing their own preferences.

Why wouldn't they? If you are playing a game only with hired adventurers, why would they block you out of content? Other than story bits and such, I don't foresee any mechanical difference between companions and adventurers, because to do so would be to punish people for choosing their own preferences.

Because the stronghold may be balanced for only 3 companion "agents" by midgame. If you can have 3 companions and up to 8 extra adventurers acting as agents, this could potentially cause exploit issues with the stronghold mechanic. Now if there is a cap, then this could work.

Doesn't this mean that you basically have to create these 8 manual characters just to run jobs in your stronghold to max out the potential there?

So what's the problem? You create 8 adventurers, depending what level you create them at this will cost anywhere between a couple thousand and several tens of thousands of coppers. So investing money gains you an increased return from your stronghold. Or you don't and keep the money...

• Like 1

Because the stronghold may be balanced for only 3 companion "agents" by midgame. If you can have 3 companions and up to 8 extra adventurers acting as agents, this could potentially cause exploit issues with the stronghold mechanic. Now if there is a cap, then this could work.

Again, this assumes that the player has recruited and/or kept the companion NPCs alive, which is a big assumption, which judging from how they talked about player choice in the past on this project and would seem to be unlikely.

There is no such thing as having it all in case of stronghold - you will always miss something, there will be merchants selling unique items, unobtainable by other means and if you miss chance of buying that item from the merchant at specific time you wont be able to get it anymore. Same with companions - there is practically no way thet you will be able to max levels of every single adventurer you have in your group (party + stronghold), especially that they can die and there are no xp for killing a mobs. And i will repeat what was said before - stronghold is non obligatory area, that you can totally skip and is rather added to fondle us with any upgrade of our fortress we make.