Armours in the beta - it's a jungle out there

You don't have to ignore the system to avoid obsessing over it nor does your character need to be an inbred simpleton to not be aware of the detailed damage abilities of every creature in the world and choose his armor based on that information. 

There is a difference between "obsessing," and switching to a suit of armor that's better against cold If you knows you're going into a cave full of Ice SpidersTM.

Is that the cave with the sign at the entrance - beware of Ice spiders? How many suits of armor should your average adventurer carry "just in case"?

Are you seriously going to tell me that you have never encountered a plausible scenario in a CRPG where you had a rough sense of what you would be going up against? 

This is putting aside the possibility of adjusting your strategy after a TPK, which is a thing that happens in games.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

As to unlimited stash there's nothing I can do about it but about all I use it for is storage until I get to a merchant to convert it to cash or goods.

I pretty much NEVER change armor or other gear  (nor cast protection against __________ in the IE games) to deal with something I have metagame knowledge of nor do I tend to carry extra sets of armor for that purpose - generally speaking I only switch armor or other wearables when I find something better than what I'm wearing.

I do scout sometimes extensively but mostly use that knowledge for positioning and/or weapon choices which I do sometimes use general knowledge of based on facing the same sort of creatures before (crushing instead of piercing for skeletons in IE games for instance).

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

As to unlimited stash there's nothing I can do about it but about all I use it for is storage until I get to a merchant to convert it to cash or goods.

I pretty much NEVER change armor or other gear  (nor cast protection against __________ in the IE games) to deal with something I have metagame knowledge of nor do I tend to carry extra sets of armor for that purpose - generally speaking I only switch armor or other wearables when I find something better than what I'm wearing.

I do scout sometimes extensively but mostly use that knowledge for positioning and/or weapon choices which I do sometimes use general knowledge of based on facing the same sort of creatures before (crushing instead of piercing for skeletons in IE games for instance).

This really has nothing to do with the issue and does nothing to reinforce your previous points. You can play any way you want, and you can feel free to roleplay a drooling idiot that runs up to dragons dressed in robes made out of hay and dried straw, but that really has nothing to do with the rest of us.

And a lot of us wants to be able to understand the system and make informed decisions; some of us because we we have no interest in the roleplaying aspects, and simply want to do the best we can, and others want to be able to roleplay and make decisions based on what would make sense in the world as our character knows it.

Neither of it hinges on or has anything to do with what you want to do, and what you want to do in no way hinges on the factors being discussed being obfuscated or obtuse. But it's important to the rest of us that it isn't.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you're being wilfully obtuse or contrarian on purpose.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

This really has nothing to do with the issue and does nothing to reinforce your previous points. You can play any way you want, and you can feel free to roleplay a drooling idiot that runs up to dragons dressed in robes made out of hay and dried straw, but that really has nothing to do with the rest of us.

And a lot of us wants to be able to understand the system and make informed decisions; some of us because we we have no interest in the roleplaying aspects, and simply want to do the best we can, and others want to be able to roleplay and make decisions based on what would make sense in the world as our character knows it.

Neither of it hinges on or has anything to do with what you want to do, and what you want to do in no way hinges on the factors being discussed being obfuscated or obtuse. But it's important to the rest of us that it isn't.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you're being wilfully obtuse or contrarian on purpose.

So only people who have opinions that mimic yours or other players should be contributing to these forums? I thought this was a discussion about armor and how to determine what's best - my opinion is that you can overthink this stuff and that there are other viable ways to determine what to use that have little to do with diagnosing all the math - I'm not saying everyone or even anyone should play this way nor saying it's better or worse just offering my input and then responding when people respond directly to my posts!

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Exactly. I try to avoid metagaming, but if you have a quest to kill a dragon, you don't go in wearing the flammable fur armour you wear the rest of the time. Maybe you even splash out on some fire resist potions too.

Of course we're gonna use that AC2 plate instead of our current AC3 one. Simple as ****. K, now let's discuss about something NOT simple, PoE's armor handling.

I feel like most of the point of IndiraLightfoot and — to an extent — wanderon is that DR calculation is not explained well at all. TBH, I am putting all the math aside too for the moment. Not because of roleplay or inbreeding, but because I am exasperated by the murky or convoluted explanations that the game currently offers.

I still haven't understood that percentage DR thingie or whatever. What the **** really? It's presented so poorly my curiosity has been killed and I don't even wanna know any more. Please fix.

Edited by Rumsteak
  • Like 1

Aside from the convoluted way DR is presented for each armour, an issue I have is the speed penalty is too steep. I wish they at least had some "amour handling" talents to offset the penalty or get more out of armour in general. It just seems wrong that going without armour is a better choice on average.

Aside from the convoluted way DR is presented for each armour, an issue I have is the speed penalty is too steep. I wish they at least had some "amour handling" talents to offset the penalty or get more out of armour in general. It just seems wrong that going without armour is a better choice on average.

Fighters get access to an ability for that, although they of all classes don't get a ton of use out of it.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.