March 4th Interview with Josh Sawyer

Reminder that other people aren't wrong for liking things that you don't.

Whenever I present opinions, hypotheses, and facts I aim to make it clear which is which. I think they teach that in school too. Opinions can't be wrong, but they may be founded on misinterpreted or completely made-up facts. And I don't think I've ever claimed anyone is wrong about his opinion if it differs than mine.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Yeah.  I like a world where things aren't tied to the main quest and where things don't scale.  I want to be able to wander into some place and think, "oh ****!  I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!"

Having lived there, there are no wrong turns at Albuquerque.  All of them lead further away from Albuquerque, which is a vast improvement in any situation.

Am I crazy that I'm more hyped up about this game than fallout 4? And I'm really hyped up about that game lol

Not at all.  FO4 is barely announced, and who knows when it will come out.  You really ought to be more hyped for a game coming out in 3 weeks than a game that is coming out... maybe next year?

Though I'll admit to surprise for the love for New Vegas on this thread.  Granted it did more than try to just shoehorn every single thing that had popped up in fallout games so far into the Capitol Wasteland, but it felt really empty and pointless to me.  With an infuriatingly bad (and completely out of place) boss fight at the end.

I'll take your word about Albuquerque.  In fact, laughed out loud.  However, I loved New Vegas.  The big draw wasn't the end battle, but I have to admit that I thought it was one of the most clever twists on adversaries in a game.  They actually managed to fashion one of the factions in the Roman mold.  lol  Frankly, I get tired of the same ol' boss fight structure, but I figure it's probably with us for the foreseeable future.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'll take your word about Albuquerque.  In fact, laughed out loud.  However, I loved New Vegas.  The big draw wasn't the end battle, but I have to admit that I thought it was one of the most clever twists on adversaries in a game.  They actually managed to fashion one of the factions in the Roman mold.  lol  Frankly, I get tired of the same ol' boss fight structure, but I figure it's probably with us for the foreseeable future.

What twist?  It just had numbers (most especially DR) turned up to 11.  Pure bullet-sponge boringness, even for a terrible concept in general (boss fights as a concept) it was a nadir-depths implementation.

As for a big draw... no, definitely not, it was a turn off.  But what I meant by empty is I never found a big draw... just trivial errands for cardboard cutout people playing dress-up. 

As for a Roman mold... not really.  They sprinkled some names and titles about, but the Legion was a pretty typical mindless raider-rapist band from insert <post-apocalyptic> title here.

Tim Cain is so shy ;(

Looks lots of changed. I have one paranoid issue with one thing: half of the presentation some said "you get the stronghold by the half of the game" but as I recall devs said countless times that "you get stronghold from first quarter of the game" never frightened about the length of the PoE before, until that point.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Tim Cain is so shy ;(

Looks lots of changed. I have one paranoid issue with one thing: half of the presentation some said "you get the stronghold by the half of the game" but as I recall devs said countless times that "you get stronghold from first quarter of the game" never frightened about the length of the PoE before, until that point.

They have stated that it depends on what path you'll take, and that you can get it pretty early but you can also take other paths (the crit path?).

FNV grabbed me from the beginning and only later I took notice that it wasn't developed by Bethesda, and I was like "Oh, that explains it". :)

I can't argue with the Fallout 3 and Skyrim sales numbers, but let's not forget that the people who bought Fallout 3 are 7 years older today than they were then, and the people who bought Skyrim are 4 years older. Their preferences may have changed in the meantime, and I think last year shows evidence of that.

I'm betting Fallout 4 will flop, because I saw lots of AAA titles flop in 2014 and this makes me think the long trend is turning, with AAA titles with huge budgets becoming unprofitable. It took ten years for the casual audience to notice, but I think it's finally beginning to notice that it's being milked with buying the same mediocre games year after year, not to mention the dlcs, microtransactions intrusive drm "services", etc.

I can list you at least six big titles that flopped last year, and there is EA's telling silence about the DAI sales. That's mainly why I expect the market will respond badly to Fallout 4, in relation to the investment in its making.

Don't worry, if it flops, they could just say it's because of piracy (and invest 100M dollars in a new, fancy DRM), not because they crafted a subpar game :p

I tried FO3 before buying it. I felt it was boring and soulless. Finally i didn't bought it.

I tried FNV before buying it. I felt it was buggy and great. Finally i bought it.

Well, now i try before buying. Like a car. Wasn't the case some years ago.

Skyrim can become a great game with 60 mods (and Frostfall as a key one). Without any, i think it's like FO3. Very Bethesda i would say. Sad to say i bought it when the fun of the game actually comes with the mods i installed :s

PoE is an exception, as for the new Torment. Great interview here, and PoE is number 1 on my wish list since 2013 :)

Edited by Abel

I'm not saying your opinions are invalid, merely not shared by all.

Great? That seemed rather obvious from the constant stream of praise in the thread.   But you still haven't explained what the supposed 'twist' was or what filled that big empty area.

I'll oblige you this once by saying that I thought it was fairly clear that using the Roman legions as the basis for the enemy in a post apocalyptic game struck me as an interesting twist on the genre.  I get that you could now come up with many fine and outstanding reasons that's not a 'twist' and, if it is, a bad one.  Fair enough.  I entirely disagree with you about New Vegas, and in such manner that makes it clear it's probably pointless to spar with you over it.  So, take the last word with my blessing.  :Cant's tight smile icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Granted it did more than try to just shoehorn every single thing that had popped up in fallout games so far into the Capitol Wasteland, but it felt really empty and pointless to me.

giphy.gif

But yeah, looks new vegas didn't fit the open-world bs. Bethesda's will though.

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I'll oblige you this once by saying that I thought it was fairly clear that using the Roman legions as the basis for the enemy in a post apocalyptic game struck me as an interesting twist on the genre.  I get that you could now come up with many fine and outstanding reasons that's not a 'twist' and, if it is, a bad one.  Fair enough.  I entirely disagree with you about New Vegas, and in such manner that makes it clear it's probably pointless to spar with you over it.  So, take the last word with my blessing.  :Cant's tight smile icon:

Ah.  I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying the boss fight had a twist.  That confused me a great deal.

As for a post-apocalyptic army being shaped into an image of something historical by their leader, that... definitely isn't a twist.  It is a cliche of the genre. Part of the point is rebuilding the new world in whichever shape the leader's convictions or insanities dictate to be 'best.'  But you're pouting is cute, so go on.

Granted it did more than try to just shoehorn every single thing that had popped up in fallout games so far into the Capitol Wasteland, but it felt really empty and pointless to me.

But yeah, looks new vegas didn't fit the open-world bs. Bethesda's will though.

I... don't understand.  NV was entirely open-world BS.  It was the main reason I found it so empty and pointless.

Edited by Voss

I won't play fallout 4 unless it has horses. And mounted combat. And a playable horse race.

I want to be a horse wielding a minigun riding another horse into combat. Anything else is stupid.  <- Fact

Much as I loved New Vegas, a game where you can play wasteland cowboy but not have a horse to ride is just a god damn crime.

jcod0.png

I'm glad they didn't try considering how dodgy the engine is already. Oblivion and Skyrim horses were ridiculous and theres almost never any time when a horse is better than travelling on foot.

Edit: It would have been cool in terms of the cowboy theme for sho but gameplay wise, ugh.

Edited by Diogenes

Wasn't horses and cats extinct in the fallout universe?

Also I didn't like the emptyness of the mojave at first but playing with ARwens mod, it really sunk in that this is a desert and not a themepark. Once I realized that fonv wasn't a giant themepark with a shallow story but instead a Nevada desert with an open story for u to explore (aka focus wasn't on actual physical exploration but exploration of the story) made it a vast and deep place for me. The uncut mods actually added a good bit to the story, land, and atmosphere. Mileage may vary from person to person of course.