I just played Divinity Original Sin and I'm a fan of this genre now.

They translated Returns and i bought it.

They won't translate both Dragonfall and Honk Kong and i won't buy them;

I'm sorry but i can't promote a developer who decide, in 2015, to not translate a game in main languages when other minor and less-budget developers do.

Nobody should promote that crap behaviour.

Edited by Mazisky

@mazisky

Well, it's your decision but the developer has done a decent job (on those two games). They translated the first one because they promised it during Kickstarter but as it turned out the demand for a localized version isn't big enough to justify the investment. I think that the % of people who only buy a game which is localized in their language is pretty low considering that most people can at least understand english. Translating isn't that cheap and because of that you'll have to decide if it's worth it. Harebrained Schemes said that Shadowrun Returns showed that it isn't (=not enough sales connected to the translation). If that is true then their decision is perfectly reasonable. I myself prefer the english version over the german one. The only exception are games which were developed in germany (for me mostly adventures).

Edited by Shiroco
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but i can't promote a developer who decide, in 2015, to not translate a game in main languages when other minor and less-budget developers do.

It's funny, even though PoE will be available in French (it will, right?), I have never even considered playing PoE in any other language than English. 

Why would you take the chance of missing any subtleties in the original script, and favour an interpretation of it instead? :)

• Like 3

It's funny, even though PoE will be available in French (it will, right?), I have never even considered playing PoE in any other language than English. 

Why would you take the chance of missing any subtleties in the original script, and favour an interpretation of it instead? :)

Same. Better that than whining about the game not being translated into FederatedStatesOfMicronesiannish or something.

Edited by Rumsteak

Same. Better that than whining about the game not being translated into FederatedStatesOfMicronesiannish or something.

Actually multi 5 (Eng, Fra, Ger, Spa, Ita) is the European standard of every major product and even for a lot of INDIE (and often cheap) games. Welcome to the 2015.

During the 90's a lot of producs (Xcom, Baldur's gate, etc. etc.) were translated aswell. 

I decided to buy PoE only when it was confirmed my language is supported, and a lot of people actually behave like me. 

I play videogames to relax myself and i wanna read ****loads of dialogues in a smooth way, this is not Gta where dialogues or languages are secondary

Shadowrun Returns was pretty well translated btw, prob they spent a nice amount of money for that

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

Money you don't spend on translating English is money you can spend on making game better or bigger. English is pretty easy language to understand too. I was able to understand it quicker than I learned to write it. Since you're capable of posting here I assume you shouldn't have issues reading in an RPG. The only game where I had to consult my paper dictionary was Legacy of Kain series. They used many smart words there. Pillars of Eternity will most likely feature basic English, with very few fancy words.

Until you discover what makes it a classic RPG, you're not allowed to call yourself a fan.

Yeah, no. This is one step away from "playing games doesn't make you a gamer".

But that's still true. Actually both of those things (the fact that you're not an RPG fan until you know what a classic RPG actually is) are true.

There's a plethora of "games" in the world. You're not a gamer just because you play games. My mother plays those awful Facebook games, yet you'd have to be demented to call her a gamer.

t50aJUd.jpg

Why are you making POE in 2D? I saw your screenshots and the latest videos, POE graphics look extremely dated, like it's from 2001 or something.  

So that 10 years later these hand-painted backgrounds will still be decent to look at.

Just try googling some 3D games from around 2000 and compare them to old IE games.

• Like 2

Mazisky, would you say your primary objection is practical, or a question of principle?

Principle of course. I can understand english written text pretty well but i don't wanna promote a developer who deliberately ignores me as a customer only for his convenience, expecially when other devs don't, even low-budget\indie ones.

It's a matter of customers care

Edited by Mazisky

Mazisky, would you say your primary objection is practical, or a question of principle?

Principle of course. I can understand english written text pretty well but i don't wanna promote a developer who deliberately ignores me as a customer only for his convenience, expecially when other devs don't, even low-budget\indie ones.

Here's where you have it wrong. Translation need to be budgeted. 

And personally, to the question:

"Would you rather see the game translated in your language, or get one more content in the game?"

... as much as I like my language, I'd take the latter without blinking.

Here's where you have it wrong. Translation need to be budgeted. 

And personally, to the question:

"Would you rather see the game translated in your language, or get one more content in the game?"

... as much as I like my language, I'd take the latter without blinking.

I strongly disagree with this. Personally, I have a decent knowledge of english, which is more than enough for 99% of the games on the market. However, PoE happens to fall in that 1%.

In my opinion, heavily text-based RPGs with lot of unusual terms need to be translated (and translated well!), in order for them to be appreciated to the fullest. I can't really immerge in the story nor feel the atmosphere of the game if I have to tab out and check WordReference every 10 mins. Or I could pretend the dictionary was my grimoire, but still...

Maybe after the first playthrough in my language, I will consider playing the game in english, just to see if something got "lost in translation", but I'm grateful for the Italian option: it is much more important for me than any extra content.

Also, I don't know how Obsidian manages its funds, but honestly "money for translation reducing gameplay features" would be a VERY strange business model. The two things shouldn't even be related.

I think many people use that example just for the sake of the argument, but I could be wrong, of course.

Edited by SkySlam
  • Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

/snip

I strongly disagree with this. Personally, I have a decent knowledge of english, which is more than enough for 99% of the games on the market. However, PoE happens to fall in that 1%.

In my opinion, heavily text-based RPGs with lot of unusual terms need to be translated (and translated well!), in order for them to be appreciated to the fullest. I can't really immerge in the story nor feel the atmosphere of the game if I have to tab out and check WordReference every 10 mins. Or I could pretend the dictionary was my grimoire, but still...

Maybe after the first playthrough in my language, I will consider playing the game in english, just to see if something got "lost in translation", but I'm grateful for the Italian option: it is much more important for me than any extra content.

Also, I don't know how Obsidian manages its funds, but honestly "money for translation reducing gameplay features" would be a VERY strange business model. The two things shouldn't even be related.

I think many people use that example just for the sake of the argument, but I could be wrong, of course.

Well the way I see it is, PoE got $4m from KS, so it's a fixed budget. I'd rather have them spend it on content.

I guess they have considered the pros (more money for other things) and cons (losing angry customers such as Mazisky) of allocating more or less money to localisation. 

Edited by Quantics