Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Combat: Action Icon- Recovery Bar

combat action bar recovery graphics request

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
I still hope they do something for release or their promoted feature of letting some players turn off extra indicators will be nothing but words on paper made into half arsed option in the game.

Edited by archangel979, 24 February 2015 - 07:40 AM.

axedice

axedice

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Steam:axedice
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Has there been any other discussion about this? Do the devs view such UI elements as trivial issues right now? With the release approaching I'm sure bug fixes / late game design are top priority, but this seems to be an important (and lacking), yet simple to implement feature. 

Maybe something like this could be modded? 

ryukenden

ryukenden

Archwarrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really like axedice idea where enemy stats are listed next to the combat log, the action bar are located on top of the portrait, and enemy health bar on top center of the screen. All that information is actually kinda useful.

Maybe its just me but the center menu seem unnecessary.  Can we get a option where you can hide all those buttons and KEEP the clock. 

Edited by ryukenden, 25 February 2015 - 02:51 AM.

• Luckmann likes this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

I really like axedice idea where enemy stats are listed next to the combat log, the action bar are located on top of the portrait, and enemy health bar on top center of the screen. All that information is actually kinda useful.

Maybe its just me but the center menu seem unnecessary.  Can we get a option where you can hide all those buttons and KEEP the clock. 

This is what really gets me with the game UI (and also some of the fan-made mockups); why are the centre menu buttons given such prominence? They're just about useless, yet they take up prime real estate in the UI. If they should feature at all, they should be small and out of the way.

• Kjaamor likes this

Grotesque

Grotesque

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

ACTION_BARS.jpg

^One of the perks of having big characters portraits!

:)

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Is it true that in build 435 they incorporated a 'combat idle animation' ? If that's true, it is help enough for me to turn off the markers above characters.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think either ALL the information should be above the characters (XCOM:EU/EW), or it should all just be with the portraits.

Also, instead of watching bars deplete to decide when people are going to go again, what if we watched bars fill, instead? Maybe with some kind of glow/indication of "Ready for action"? You know, kinda like the old Final Fantasy "active" combat GUIs.

Havelok

Havelok

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think either ALL the information should be above the characters (XCOM:EU/EW), or it should all just be with the portraits.

Also, instead of watching bars deplete to decide when people are going to go again, what if we watched bars fill, instead? Maybe with some kind of glow/indication of "Ready for action"? You know, kinda like the old Final Fantasy "active" combat GUIs.

Fill is more intuitive, I agree. The ATB system is a good example.

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

I agree with all of Lephys's points. Either all portrait or all model. I've played similar clock-based games like Atlantica Online or the Monster's Den series and everywhere it's fill.  A small flash or other visual cue to show readiness, yes again.

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm a big fan of thing's being shown in context, and don't like to be pulled out of immersion. If the bars above the heads must be shown, I'd prefer it to only be there when I activate it, or if it only shows for a second and fades away. The dev's have over complicated the combat so you need so many visual cues to know what the heck is going on. I feel like they should have stuck with a 1 or 4 party max for a game this complex. It's completely counter productive to have a gorgeous world to play in and then have to concentrate so much on the tiny #'s on screen and try to decipher who's engaging who etc. At least their open minded to listen to our feedback. Maybe by the 3rd or 4th post launch patch it'll be more streamlined and pretty.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

@axedice: That's so much better it's not even funny, considering what a mess it is in-game right now.

SergeantHans

SergeantHans

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts

Do we really need that much info all the time? I run the beta with the recovery bar option turned off and i cant really say i miss it during any encounter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combat, action, bar, recovery, graphics, request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users