I love this game

ctn2003

All the MotB npcs were great, the NV npcs were great, the KotOR2 npcs were great, etc etc. In general, they have a mostly very strong track record here.

I must admit while I do remember the looks of MotB NPCs, I don't remember much more about them. In my book that does not make them interesting.

NV I managed to play for 12h only, only had that flying ball before I quit that boring game.

Kotor 2 for sure didn't have all NPCs being interesting although on average it has most interesting one of all Obsidian games I played (I didn't play Alpha Protocol, DS3 or South Park).

• Like 1

Quetzalcoatl, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:10 PM, said:

archangel979, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:

Well, maybe this says a lot about my love for Bioware companions.

I will admit I liked some Obsidian NPCs more (Kreia is still one of my favorite ones), and I would surely not consider those "mundane" like ctn2003 praises in PoE. The crazier = more fun. HK 47 from Kotor 2 is a lot of fun but I don't really remember any from NWN2 OC to be anything special.

Interesting is not always those with melodrama backstories, one dimension can often be more fun. For melodrama I can watch soap opera any day of the week.

I'm not sure I follow. The Bioware companions are very melodramatic, especially the silly ones you seem to prefer. The Obsidian companions are usually more subdued and less over the top, which is why you seem to find them boring.

As for great Obsidian companions, Kreia wasn't the only great character in Kotor 2, the game was filled with them. There is also Mask of the Betrayer and Planescape Torment. The latter isn't an Obsidian game, but Chris Avellone, who wrote all the companions, works at Obsidian.

None of PST or MotB companions were mundane or subdued though, in fact they were more over the top than anything Bioware ever writen.

And that's a good thing. The more crazy the better all other things being equal.

I will leave Bioware out of the comparison since their writing is mediocre and can't be compaired to Obsidian's. Take the companions of New Vegas.

The vanila NV ones were more subdued and less over the Top, while the the ones in Dead Money were way more unique/crazy/over the top. And i like the Dead Money ones way more than the vanila ones

• Like 1

IndiraLightfoot, on 09 Dec 2014 - 5:27 PM, said:IndiraLightfoot, on 09 Dec 2014 - 5:27 PM, said:

I'm extremely excited about this game, and honestly, it will surely measure up well against BG1 (without its expansions at release).

A poll in the general forum showed that were plenty of backers 20-35 years of age - which could mean that they associate Obsidian with NWN2, first and foremost, and this pretty big player base won't be disappointed.

Considering that BG1 was mediocre, PoE being better is kin of a given or i will be very mad.

And no, i'm 25 and i consider NWN2 an atrocity for which the Obsidian devs involved will answer for in the afterlife. I want nothing from that game in PoE, and i believe that if Obsidian had mentioned NWN2 in their pitch (funny how they didn't-MotB doesn't counts as it's praised only for it's narrative) they wouldn't have gathered so much money.

Edited by Malekith
  • Like 3

All the MotB npcs were great, the NV npcs were great, the KotOR2 npcs were great, etc etc. In general, they have a mostly very strong track record here.

I must admit while I do remember the looks of MotB NPCs, I don't remember much more about them. In my book that does not make them interesting.

NV I managed to play for 12h only, only had that flying ball before I quit that boring game.

Kotor 2 for sure didn't have all NPCs being interesting although on average it has most interesting one of all Obsidian games I played (I didn't play Alpha Protocol, DS3 or South Park).

People have differents tastes. Even within a lifetime, tastes can shift wildly. When I was a kid, I loved standard high fantasy stuff (Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Tanis, Sturm, Raistlin, etc). I liked the good guys and the bad guys. The good and evil. Then I got older and tried to be edgy (Black Sun Rising, Vryce, etc). I liked the flawed "antiheroes."  But now, I am even older.  I want something much more basic. I want believable characters I can connect with.

The bottom line, as how it was stated in Zero Effect (one of my favorite films), "there are no good guys, there are no bad guys, there are just a bunch of guys." Obsidian gets this. With the occasion exception, they give characters real motivations. While they may not be memorable to you, I find their characters to be moving. They are certainly muted. They are not  CARICATURES. They are CHARACTERS. As such, they may not "stand out" in your memory. However, as all true characters, they move you. They speak to the human condition.

Bioware caricutures are cute cartoon things and they are funny. But they do not help you understand yourself or your place on this pale blue dot floating about in infinity and into oblivion.

• Like 4

Obsidian is known for great stories and even greater characters/writing and mediocre/just good gameplay. This is common in all of their games, except NWN2 vanilla wich had super streotypical characters (like the first attempt of a 13 year old DM). PoE seems to be at the same standards right now (a bit better in terms of roleplay though). Let's hope it'll be the (for the better) exception in gameplay like NWN2 was (for worst) the exception in characters.

(Edit: Having watched Shevek's playthrough, I think I'll have great time with the game :) )

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Just to come back on the first post of the topic, I'm happy to finally see something else than doubt or complain on this forum.

I do like the shape of this game, and I do think it will be a great one.

The writting seems nice, I do like most of the interface (which is way better than the oldies' one like BG in my opinion). The combat do need some tweaks but feels like it's going in the right direction (I do appreciate to see obsidian trying something else than the D&D system, never really liked it, but it's just a question of taste I guess).

I also do think this game is very pretty, even if there is some visibility problem with the characters which should be corrected.

For me, they're trying to take the good things from the oldies' and change what was not so good about them, and that's nice. That's a lot of work and obviously everything is not close to be finished yet, but still.

There is a lot of feedback on the forum, which is a good thing, but I don't like the tone of it. too much negativity, some people here sounds like spoiled kids. That's a good thing to show your opinion, and even better when you make some concrete example of what's not fine in your opinion, but I must say I feel bad for the developpers when I see random player bashing the game for a yes or a no.

Well, it was my 2 cents.

• Like 3

People have differents tastes. Even within a lifetime, tastes can shift wildly. When I was a kid, I loved standard high fantasy stuff (Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Tanis, Sturm, Raistlin, etc). I liked the good guys and the bad guys. The good and evil. Then I got older and tried to be edgy (Black Sun Rising, Vryce, etc). I liked the flawed "antiheroes."  But now, I am even older.  I want something much more basic. I want believable characters I can connect with.

The bottom line, as how it was stated in Zero Effect (one of my favorite films), "there are no good guys, there are no bad guys, there are just a bunch of guys." Obsidian gets this. With the occasion exception, they give characters real motivations. While they may not be memorable to you, I find their characters to be moving. They are certainly muted. They are not  CARICATURES. They are CHARACTERS. As such, they may not "stand out" in your memory. However, as all true characters, they move you. They speak to the human condition.

Bioware caricutures are cute cartoon things and they are funny. But they do not help you understand yourself or your place on this pale blue dot floating about in infinity and into oblivion.

I guess you like mediocrity. I want NPCs that are as complex as Kreia. If that is not possible, I would rather have fun and silly ones like Minsc and Xzar than something in between those two extremes. Minsc and Xzar make me laugh each time I hear them, Kreia made for very interesting conversations. I don't want those that are not fun with their barks but also don't have anything really interesting to say when you do talk to them.

Oh and banter between evil characters in BG2 was awesome (and between evil and good ones).

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

In reply to the OP,

I too think Pillars will be a great game !

And a large part of its greatness comes from the backer community and all their nagging and hard work.

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

The new Bioware characters are boring (DAO and afterwards). None of them are silly and fun. Morrigan was memorable for other stuff, the rest are just plain and boring.

Strongly disagree. I have an extensive list of complaints with DA:O, but the characters and the humour of those characters has never been one of them. For me, Alistair remains the funniest companion I have ever had the joy of experiencing in a crpg with Morrigan running a close second. I literally laughed out loud on more occasions than I could count during DA:O, although by the end when the mechanics had become undeniable it was the last game in the series I would play.

I'm not averse to a spot of Bioware-bashing myself, but I think for crpgs to get where they need to be, you have to acknowledge what was done well and what was done badly.

The DA:O characters I played with felt appropriate to the setting, funny without breaking the third wall, and had at least a small attempt at arcing. This should be praised.

The experience was only somewhat spoiled by having a PC who could nob half of them by giving them the sweepings left from doing his job.

Exacly the first DR was great altho not for everybody (some though it was boring and had no good armor sets) But it was the best rpg at its time in 2009

Anyone who doesn't like Minsc needs to replay BG2 and have him make your case for you when trying to get into the asylum. If you don't bust a gut during that scene you might actually be dead on the inside and incapable of experiencing joy.

Ill have to try that some time. lol soooo many things i have yet to do in that game after 8 years of playing it hear and their.

"I guess you like mediocrity."

Nope.

Unless that game is really great in same way i just d

Just to come back on the first post of the topic, I'm happy to finally see something else than doubt or complain on this forum.

I do like the shape of this game, and I do think it will be a great one.

The writting seems nice, I do like most of the interface (which is way better than the oldies' one like BG in my opinion). The combat do need some tweaks but feels like it's going in the right direction (I do appreciate to see obsidian trying something else than the D&D system, never really liked it, but it's just a question of taste I guess).

I also do think this game is very pretty, even if there is some visibility problem with the characters which should be corrected.

For me, they're trying to take the good things from the oldies' and change what was not so good about them, and that's nice. That's a lot of work and obviously everything is not close to be finished yet, but still.

There is a lot of feedback on the forum, which is a good thing, but I don't like the tone of it. too much negativity, some people here sounds like spoiled kids. That's a good thing to show your opinion, and even better when you make some concrete example of what's not fine in your opinion, but I must say I feel bad for the developpers when I see random player bashing the game for a yes or a no.

Well, it was my 2 cents.

I to wonder if sometimes it hurts to see "this sucks take it out"  i dout that feels good all the time.

And still the "silly" Bg characters like Minsc are loved and remembered while "mundane" ones are not. Minsc even got into official D&D lore.

And Dragon Age's characters are more well known than Obsidian's. This doesn't mean they're better. It usually means the opposite, since anything that appeals to the lowest common denominator is more popular as a rule.

The new Bioware characters are boring (DAO and afterwards). None of them are silly and fun. Morrigan was memorable for other stuff, the rest are just plain and boring.

I don't want Obsidian to follow Bioware modern steps.

Xzar has more personally in his few barks that all the new Bioware characters together (well I didn't play DAI so maybe they got some better ones; OK, Mass Effect had some more interesting characters but also not much).

All the new DA suck to me Dr3 is imp the worst out of them all it reminds me way to mutch of World of warcraft or somthing like that or some type of online MMORPG

All the new DA suck to me Dr3 is imp the worst out of them all it reminds me way to mutch of World of warcraft or somthing like that or some type of online MMORPG

Methinks people overly associate open-world games with MMO's. What's the difference between doing a quest in BG1, and doing a quest in DA:I? It's not isometric, and there are fewer map transitions. Seriously.

I'm not going to tell anyone to like DA:I, but at least dislike it accurately, please.

Anywho, while I think DA:I is great, in its way, I feel that PoE is also going to be quite great in different ways.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Methinks people overly associate open-world games with MMO's. What's the difference between doing a quest in BG1, and doing a quest in DA:I? It's not isometric, and there are fewer map transitions. Seriously.

I'm not going to tell anyone to like DA:I, but at least dislike it accurately, please.

Anywho, while I think DA:I is great, in its way, I feel that PoE is also going to be quite great in different ways.

um...no i hate it it looks like world of war craft :/  and also the face models are terrble and acouly REALLY funny looking and theirs hardly any amor sets and no reasen the castel in the game should exist its usless.

um...no i hate it it looks like world of war craft :/  and also the face models are terrble and acouly REALLY funny looking and theirs hardly any amor sets and no reasen the castel in the game should exist its usless.

... Out of curiosity, have you played it? I've found plenty of armor sets, and you can customize the everliving crap out of whatever you want, both cosmetically AND stat-wise. And I don't see much resemblance to World of Warcraft, shy of there being a world, with humanoid people in it, and terrain and stuff.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

... Out of curiosity, have you played it? I've found plenty of armor sets, and you can customize the everliving crap out of whatever you want, both cosmetically AND stat-wise. And I don't see much resemblance to World of Warcraft, shy of there being a world, with humanoid people in it, and terrain and stuff.

Yes and for most of the game i was stuck with 1 set al least for about 60 % of the game

Yes and for most of the game i was stuck with 1 set al least for about 60 % of the game

That's pretty strange. I've found at least 5 or 6 so far, and I'm only like 20% through the game. I've only fully explored 1 out of 8 major areas. *shrug*

Quests in BG1 are actually real quests where you talk to people to get it and and to turn it in and get cool conversations.
  • Like 2