Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Tale

I just "played" depression quest. It's 1AM here and I woke up, can't sleep and need something to do. Decided to check it out to see why it gets made fun of.

OH MY GOD. I was expecting a game that's weak on game design and game mechanics but focuses more on story and meaningful messages. NOPE. This **** is a full text-based adventure on par with one of those Goosebumps choose-your-adventure books. This isn't even a video game, it qualifies more as a book.

And holy ****. As someone who's suffered depression, I can honestly say this thing is the most melodramatic piece of **** I've ever seen. Yes, depression is crippling to the point where you feel worthless and don't even try out of fear of failure, and often gets mistaken as laziness because of such symptoms. But these parts like "hey bby I'm your hot girlfriend and I'm in the mood for sex tonight <3" and your only choices are to either claim you have a headache with a "not tonight dear" or on par with going to huddle in the corner in the fetal position while crying your eyes out....?

Get the **** out.

Grade-A melodramatic bull****. Depression is just a crippling effect on your motivation, self-confidence, energy and self-esteem. It's NOT something that makes people respond to "hey do you want to eat this delicious ice cream...?" with "NO. :[ I'D RATHER CRY IN THE CORNER AND FEEL MISERABLE."

I was honestly expecting something with some degree of merit - just not merits that matter or are relevant to the gaming industry. I was expecting this to be an example of something worth defending, just not something that gamers have an interest in defending, thus we've got avant garde journalists who don't understand why we show no interest in it. The writing is god awful ABYSMAL, and the self-loathing one feels during depression is cranked up to 11 for this, making it ridiculously unrealistic as the main character almost seems to be TRYING to make people feel sorry for them. (aka being a drama queen and constantly fishing for sympathy and compliments)

All that did for me was help solidify my suspicions on the types of personalities these people are, and it certainly doesn't help combat the suspicions some have about these people being professional victims.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I just "played" depression quest. It's 1AM here and I woke up, can't sleep and need something to do. Decided to check it out to see why it gets made fun of.

OH MY GOD. I was expecting a game that's weak on game design and game mechanics but focuses more on story and meaningful messages. NOPE. This **** is a full text-based adventure on par with one of those Goosebumps choose-your-adventure books. This isn't even a video game, it qualifies more as a book.

And holy ****. As someone who's suffered depression, I can honestly say this thing is the most melodramatic piece of **** I've ever seen. Yes, depression is crippling to the point where you feel worthless and don't even try out of fear of failure, and often gets mistaken as laziness because of such symptoms. But these parts like "hey bby I'm your hot girlfriend and I'm in the mood for sex tonight <3" and your only choices are to either claim you have a headache with a "not tonight dear" or on par with going to huddle in the corner in the fetal position while crying your eyes out....?

Get the **** out.

Grade-A melodramatic bull****. Depression is just a crippling effect on your motivation, self-confidence, energy and self-esteem. It's NOT something that makes people respond to "hey do you want to eat this delicious ice cream...?" with "NO. :[ I'D RATHER CRY IN THE CORNER AND FEEL MISERABLE."

I was honestly expecting something with some degree of merit - just not merits that matter or are relevant to the gaming industry. I was expecting this to be an example of something worth defending, just not something that gamers have an interest in defending, thus we've got avant garde journalists who don't understand why we show no interest in it. The writing is god awful ABYSMAL, and the self-loathing one feels during depression is cranked up to 11 for this, making it ridiculously unrealistic as the main character almost seems to be TRYING to make people feel sorry for them. (aka being a drama queen and constantly fishing for sympathy and compliments)

All that did for me was help solidify my suspicions on the types of personalities these people are, and it certainly doesn't help combat the suspicions some have about these people being professional victims.

But how does it work as a cultural object?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Another journalist that supports bullying.

https://archive.today/pFQ0W

Can we start calling guys like him male attention whores? They really have all the hallmarks of attention seeking behavior and narcissism

What a douchebag. I feel the mood to argue why his stance on bullying is stupid, but then again, people like him wouldn't care anyway.

Sam Biddle is being moved elsewhere within Gawker. This decision was made prior to GG.

Yeah... I believe it. /sarcasm

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-biddle-is-leaving-valleywag-2014-10

That surely is some strange timing. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

But how does it work as a cultural object?

IT'S ****ING AWFUL.

It's so bad wtf. I would at least expect something like that to get a passing grade in a writing class, but no, a 14 year old could've written that to get a B+ from their english teacher.

If you haven't played it, go play it. This combined with screenshots and stuff of Brianna Wu's planned game thingy really puts things in perspective about just how astoundingly weak the opposition's argument about how this is strictly targeting female video game developers really is. We all knew it was weak, but THIS bad...? Omg...I'm in shock.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

.... this is actually mine.

Someone modded my image.

... hm. I'm not.... mad... just would like to know who did this.

Was it your idea to make it confusing and incoherent or was that the idea of the person who hijacked it?

No, that was me. GG is disjointed and nobody knows or cares what the other person "in GG" thinks. It's a bit more unclear in this one, though, but whatever. 

Wait, someone thought your graph was too coherent and modded it? dafuq, I don't even

The part about Dox and Death Threats and Rape Threads are supposed to be separate rather than "/". While they are connected by a line, its never supposed to imply that those three things are on the same level or even all done by the same people. The point was supposed to be that even though those things are denounced, nobody does anything to actually stop them from propagating. Now it just seems like the people denouncing are the ones doing the [direct] harm. I'm anti-GG and this graph's purpose is anti-GG, but I'm not going to look away from those that don't want bull****. There are degrees here. Do I think anyone associated with GG that doesn't agree with its tactics is tainted by proxy? Yes. But that doesn't make them a bad guy. 

The point was supposed to be that even though those things are denounced, nobody does anything to actually stop them from propagating.

So why don't you do something to stop them from propagating, Bryy?

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

Edited by Longknife

Bryy: Errr, i know your position on the GG thing. My point was that how someone else can think your graph would need to be more incoherent. Drugs? Booze? Sleep deprivation? I wonder how the mind and trail of logic flows for someone who already "borrowed" it to begin with.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The point was supposed to be that even though those things are denounced, nobody does anything to actually stop them from propagating.

Um... I'm not a part of GamerGate so my example kind of does not correspond to me.

Um... I'm not a part of GamerGate so my example kind of does not correspond to me.

Ok, so why don't you stop the propagating that happens from your side, such as the pro-bullying tweets?

Ok, so why don't you stop the propagating that happens from your side, such as the pro-bullying tweets?

Propagating of what? Are you honestly suggesting that people tweeting and posting "she didn't deserve it but..." are equatable to #StopGamerGate?

Propagating of what? Are you honestly suggesting that people tweeting and posting "she didn't deserve it but..." are equatable to #StopGamerGate?

I just said. Propagating of this pro-bullying mentality. There's been not one, not two, but three instances of a journalist on the anti-GG side propagating the pro-bullying stance. What's more, this isn't something that's died down as the third instance happened just today.

So why aren't you stopping it Bryy?? Could it be that you're a terrible human being who only pretends to want to stop it to further your own agenda!?!?!!? And in reality you have no intention of helping and hope it and countless acts of bullying continue happening???!!!!

You and your entire movement DISGUST me Bryy. For shame.

I just said. Propagating of this pro-bullying mentality. There's been not one, not two, but three instances of a journalist on the anti-GG side propagating the pro-bullying stance. What's more, this isn't something that's died down as the third instance happened just today.

So why aren't you stopping it Bryy?? Could it be that you're a terrible human being who only pretends to want to stop it to further your own agenda!?!?!!? And in reality you have no intention of helping and hope it and countless acts of bullying continue happening???!!!!

It's actually even worse considering we actually know that these are anti-gamergate people; rather than unaffiliated trolls who have nothing to do with anything. 

Although I can't blame Bryy for not condemning the pro-bully stance; since holding journalists to any ethical standards is the primary point of gamergate. If he did have any standards for them; why would he be anti-gamergate?

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Every single one of your posts on this topic has been punctuated by a rage and indignation that astounds me. You think you're saying these mega-important and scathing things, but really its just a tantrum akin to a child. I love how you came to that conclusion about me based on a humor image. I have no idea why I thought posting in here - or at least engaging with you - was a good idea.

It's actually even worse considering we actually know that these are anti-gamergate people; rather than unaffiliated trolls who have nothing to do with anything.

Not only that, now that I feel my point has been made, can we talk about how stupid the idea is that "I really really loathe this bad thing that the opposition is doing and it disgusts me they don't do anything about it in order to stop it, BUT BY GOD ASKING ME TO GET OFF MY ASS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT BAD THING I HATE IS RIDICULOUS."

And before the "well then why don't YOU stop their anti-bullying messages" come in, we are. Promise you those guys won't have jobs in the near future. (Mind you "near" for something like this could take a year)

Every single one of your posts on this topic has been punctuated by a rage and indignation that astounds me. You think you're saying these mega-important and scathing things, but really its just a tantrum akin to a child. I love how you came to that conclusion about me based on a humor image. I have no idea why I thought posting in here - or at least engaging with you - was a good idea.

Sure is nice that you completely dodged the main point. Why don't you stop the anti-gamergate journalists from propagating a pro-bullying stance?

The pro-bullying stance those journalists have taken really is beyond despicable. So again, WHY HAVEN'T YOU STOPPED THEM!? 

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

How about you actually address the points I'm making instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks? Or can you not because you realize I've just highlighted a massive fallacy in your way of thinking?

And on a side note, if you interpret the caps and all the exclamation points as "rage," I can assure you they're actually "comedy." I'm literally laughing at my chair about how weak your arguments are.

Edited by Longknife

Sin_t_tulo.png

"It's not sexist when we do it."

Wat?

Shouldn't you wait a little while for more facts to come out before making assumptions? If only to not seem to be taking advantage of a tragedy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just imagine if someone prominent spoke even a comparatively tame feminine stereotype like, "Women are the damsels because they are weaker than men. A feminine characteristic." That person would be lynched.

But hey...  "men and boys are killers because masculinity is toxic"... sure, no problem.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

Sin_t_tulo.png

That's shameful, even by her standards.

Who cares what she thinks? Best to just ignore her.

Aaaaand Bryy left the thread. Check the users watching this thread.

Once more for emphasis:

When I began law school I got a job doing translation work for a law firm that wanted to know english counterparts to German phrases and terms. Very first day chatting with the guy in charge of the law firm, he told me studying law will change your way of thinking and you'll have difficulty discussing issues with other people because you'll learn objective debate, and others will seem all over the place and incapable of productive discussion. At the time I found it an odd statement cause I couldn't fathom how that would work. Didn't wanna doubt a guy with world's more experience than me, just struggled imagining it.

And he was right. Sadly. :C

On that note, at the risk of sounding like an ass, as a general statement to ANY anti-GG supporter who occassionally comes by this thread? Put up or shutup. You want childish? Childish is leaving the thread the moment "omg I can't counter that argument" like Bryy just did. Childish is resorting to name-calling and ad hominem attacks. I made a point, I was called a child and he left the thread without addressing the point.
   If you want to be taken seriously, put 'em up and defend your stance. If you're incapable of doing so, kindly shutup, as you're incapable of provoking or taking part in productive debate. And yes, I can be an incredible ass to people who I feel are hiding under the guise of "oh I didn't respond cause of his tone." Why should I bother minding my tone when you seem to hate it regardless? After all, you're the one who looks bad leaving the thread without responding with counter-arguments, not me. The people who would think I look bad are the exact emotionally-driven people who I consider incapable of progress, and thus I don't care if they think I'm mean or what they think. The people who like what I say focus on the context of what I said, not who I am or how I said it.

So good riddance I say. I'm done with acting welcoming to opposition solely on the grounds of appearing more accepting and kind. That's the very same opposition that has GamerGate so ferverently trying to prove we're not monsters, I somehow doubt they'll notice any kindness given in debate. I'll give kindness to those who prove they can be objective and can actually have a productive debate. For those who can't? Well...apparently they leave on their own after some classy name-calling.

Look at the bright side: At least now he'll have more time to work on his flow chart making skills. ( <---- and yes that was childish. C: )

• Like 1

Sin_t_tulo.png

"It's not sexist when we do it."

"Not a coincidence it's always women and girls committing whoring, the pattern is connected to ideas of toxic femininity in our culture"

Her grammar sucks as well, and she's being dishonest.

Bryy: answer longknife's question

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Bryy: answer longknife's question

um, I don't really respond well to conspiracy theory tinfoil hat rants against my character.

But if you insist... the question was what am I doing to combat sexism in the industry? I'm kind of making a game with a female main character.

"Not a coincidence it's always women and girls committing whoring, the pattern is connected to ideas of toxic femininity in our culture"

Could do even worse... "It's mostly women who kill their babies, the pattern is connected to ideas of toxic femininity".

• Like 2