[301] Wut? All models are doing Michael Jackson leans?

IndiraLightfoot

Question

Are the character/NPC/enemy models exactly 90 degrees in relation to the isometric plane they are walking and standing on? Right now, that plane seem to lean ever so slightly too deep towards the right lower corner, or, if you will, all models appear to be doing the Michael Jackson leaning dance-move! :grin: 

I've been telling myself, it's just me imagining things, but I measured the vertical angle and the floor, and something is not right. They are not exactly 90 degrees relative to each other.

EDIT: This effect is easiest to study at the Dracogen, since it's confined and have that nice wooden floor.

Edited by cRichards

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

12 answers to this question

Hey IndiraLightfoot, I believe this may just be an effect of the 3rd person isometric camera view the game uses.

A lot of games have used this camera view with 2d art, so with 3d art it has to be shifted to look right in the camera. Here's an example from the recent Legend of Zelda game on the 3ds.

ZeldaCameraTrick.jpg

We appreciate the feedback. Keep it up!

• Like 2

Hey IndiraLightfoot, I believe this may just be an effect of the 3rd person isometric camera view the game uses.

A lot of games have used this camera view with 2d art, so with 3d art it has to be shifted to look right in the camera. Here's an example from the recent Legend of Zelda game on the 3ds.

ZeldaCameraTrick.jpg

We appreciate the feedback. Keep it up!

That's rather clever. O_o

I see, I figured it was something like that. :)

It must be hard to calibrate that angle, so our eyes easily pick up on even the slightest leaning effect.

Keep up the great work, you too. OE, chamone! ;)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If anyone got the time, I'd love to see a pic of that laterz. :)

EDIT: As for my pic above, it actually feels like the NPCs are leaning on one plane and my party on the other. Overall, the NPCs lean a tad more to the left. Is that even possible?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

Thx, Sensuki!

Yeah, that's quite some leaning going on, and even more interesting:

Yet again, the party and the NPCs aren't leaning exactly the same way.

Even weirder, in your pic, it's like a mirror image of mine.

In mine, NPCs lean a bit too much to the left, and my party is near-perfect.

In yours, the party is leaning to the right, and those NPCs by the fireplace is near-perfect.