"Black celebrity" claims police herassement for kissing white man in public

JadedWolf

So I was reading this today:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/14/django-unchained-actor-alleges-racial-bias-arrest-los-angeles?commentpage=2

Apparently this Daniele Watts, who had an acting role in Django Unchained, claims that when she was kissing her white boyfriend, someone called the cops. And rather than telling the person who called the cops to mind their own damn business, she claims, they came to see why a white man and a black woman were kissing in public. She felt that she was profiled as a prostitute just for being black and kissing a white man, and then refused to show her ID and tried to walk away. At this point she was handcuffed and detained, and only released when her identity was established. Her boyfriend claims the police had threatened to call an ambulance and have her drugged because she was displaying psychologically unstable behaviour.

Now, obviously this is only one side of the story, and the police has not yet given their side of the story as they're still "looking into it". And the woman admits that she didn't give her ID when asked, which probably could have solved the incident a lot sooner. Some people in the comment section claim that she should not have had to give her ID when she did nothing wrong - I am not an expert on U.S. law so I have no idea if you're obligated to ID yourself in all cases. And I have no idea how she behaved, she may indeed have behaved in a way that the police might think psychologically unstable.

So I am quite open to see the other side of the story here, and awaiting what the police will say. What puzzles me though is why they were asked to show their ID's in the first place and why the police would think it necessary to respond to a complaint about two people kissing in their car. So, to those United Statians reading this, can you guys explain this or maybe give some more background? I am trying not to jump to conclusions here, and maybe there is another spin on this story which would suddenly turn it upside down, but it looks quite bad from where I am sitting if a white man and a black man kissing in a car is reason enough for the police to come have a look.

Any public incident involving the cops in the US is going to get futzed fifteen ways from sunday.

I think this was a mistake, but wouldn't this be down to a dispatcher error, rather than the cops themselves?

to answer question, no. and the cops weren't mistaken either.  dispatcher gets multiple calls that a crime is being committed. not sending a patrol car would be appropriate response?  cops show up and and investigate crime so is not a random stop and identify situation. woman acts alternatively nutty and is unresponsive. 

dispatcher got wrong? how? cops didn't get wrong either, least not this time. the folks who got wrong were the actress-who-acted-like-an-actress at the time the incident first occurred. after the fact it were her and her boyfriend who got it wrong when they used social media to stir up a poop storm for no reason other than the fact that no-name actress went loopy.  all the local and national pundits who were crying foul without any supporting facts also got wrong, 'cause now it is fashionable to assume that cops did wrong before getting any facts.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/21/civil-rights-leaders-demand-django-unchained-actre/

am not certain where lingering confusion is.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is just another reason why Gromnir don't date actress anymore.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The actress I dated wasnt much crazier than the other women I've dated. Of course, most of the women I've dated are either bat**** crazy or evil, so perhaps I'm not a good metric.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I guess it pays to wait. Nice that they record police interactions, though in this case as the cop came out looking well it's to be expected there weren't 'technical problems' or something, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The actress I dated wasnt much crazier than the other women I've dated. Of course, most of the women I've dated are either bat**** crazy or evil, so perhaps I'm not a good metric.

Depending on how old you are it's possibly par for the course. In my experience, most women start going nuts by 25 at the latest (many men too). It's usually a function of how anchored one is in reality and how much one is or isn't in denial of X. Once you start down the path of denial it's only downhill into the abyss of insanity. A lot of people tread that path, more than not these days it seems. I'd go so far as to say bat**** crazy is getting to be the norm in the western world.

Depending on how old you are it's possibly par for the course. In my experience, most women start going nuts by 25 at the latest (many men too). It's usually a function of how anchored one is in reality and how much one is or isn't in denial of X. Once you start down the path of denial it's only downhill into the abyss of insanity. A lot of people tread that path, more than not these days it seems. I'd go so far as to say bat**** crazy is getting to be the norm in the western world.

Yeah I hear you, denial is a systemic  problem we face in many modern societies. Would you believe me if I told you that there are some people who deny that Al-Qaeda committed 9/11?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah I hear you, denial is a systemic  problem we face in many modern societies. Would you believe me if I told you that there are some people who deny that Al-Qaeda committed 9/11?

Two videos for you.

The first, short and sweet. Take it's message to heart, mind and soul.

Live it:

The second, a bit longer and more in depth, yet still the tip of an iceberg.

Be warned, you might have to think for yourself:

Edited by Valsuelm