Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question: Will there be complete Voice Acting?q

Voice Acting

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
And yet FONV was fully voiced and was a fantastic game, writing and story.

I do agree with ya that most games that do full voice usuallybhit the mark and/or stiffle and limit dialogue and such. But a very few games....FONV is the only one that comes to mind....okay 1 game was fully voiced and was able to writing and story and roleplaying options very well.

But USUALLY a game severally limits roleplaying and options and whatnot by veing fully voiced.

huang

huang

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm so happy that game devs now are brave enough again to release games with TEXT without voice acting. As powerful and great VA can be, it's just not ideal for everything. It started with the vanishing of names. Obviously if it's text only they can only add a variable that will display the player customized character name. It's also with games that want to have a deeper, more complex story, longer texts are necessary and if they would be all voice acted, it would take ages for it to be read properly pronounced. No, this really only works without voices. Also, just imagine how big these games would have to be with all these massive audio files. And how expensive this would have to be. This last part alone makes it a no go for these smaller KS projects. The classic IE games in particular showed how unncessary completely voiced texts are for this type of game. Never, while playing BG2, did I miss additional voices. Being into a certain amount of text is a requirement for this type of RPG.

• Tuckey, Malekith and Ganrich like this

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is bait, isn't it?
OP is just trying to be a master ruseman, right?

Finally somebody said it :)

Fatback

Fatback

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
Don't touch me I'm very important.

Meagloth

Meagloth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Full voice acting would be a disaster, In my opinion. Aside from the money that could have been spent, say, making more characters or areas, It would slow down the game to much. I much prefer the first few lines(or the more important ones) voiced to get an idea of who this guy is and how he's treating me. Then I can speed through the unimportant/boring stuff. Kill the goblins, bring back the princess and collect the reward. Got it.
Also, the character name cannot be voiced, but it CAN be put into the text. Seeing my name in the game(especially when it's my real name) is very immersive. Having characters intended to be close friends and such refer to me as "you there" or some way around my actual name really breaks immersion for me.
It's just not necessary. I can read. I don't have to have some actor read me every word, especially if it's just some little side quest or peasants babbling that I just need to get done.

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Don't touch me I'm very super important.

Fixed. ;)

Edited by Marceror, 15 September 2014 - 02:19 PM.

• Malekith likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I always loved Baldur's Gate 2 Chapters 2 and 3 immensely. And found chapters 4 - 7 (or however many there were) to be far less interesting.

Why? 2 - 3 were so open ended. You could play them a million different ways. I generally always tried to complete every quest possible before going to Spellhold. From that point forward, the game became very linear, and that extended into the expansion. Due to the story, it made sense, since you were literally fighting from your life from that point forward.

That said, I can sort of see Josh's point. It would probably be better to have few side quests in a single area, and make it so there is a fair amount of exploration possible during the later stages of the game as well -- of course, as long as the game isn't giving you this take care of the main quest right away or the world is going to explode sort of pressure.

If the game is going to give you things to explore, it should make sense in the context of the narrative that you would be willing to take that time.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

WillyPete

WillyPete

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You can almost tell who was around playing Baldur's Gate when it first came out and who wasn't by the comments...  One big reason why full voice acting was omitted from the IE games is that they simply couldn't fit it all on the disks.  I think Baldur's Gate had four or five and BGII had four.  The IE games handled it perfectly though.  They gave you just enough to give the game flavor and characters identity.  We all know what iconic Minsc sounds like and or course boo's squeak!

Full voice acting is unnecessary and in some ways would hurt the flow of the game.  I doubt PoE will have anywhere near the same amount of partial voice acting BGII has, but as long as it's enough to give the game flavor is all that matters!  I don't think we will be disappointed.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

VO hurts the flow of the game?

Please.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
While i do believe text is better for flexiblilty than VO in writing and adding on material and what not, i dont believe VO is necessarily a bad thing either. Yes it can be detrimental to the players immersion and interfere with a players fun or roleplay if the actor is crappy, writing is terrible, options are limited, tone or dialect is bad, etc etc but the same can be said of text as well if options are limited, writing is bad and/or doesnt fit, etc etc.
when done well, both text and VA can be great and enhance the quality of the game and the players reaction just like how both if done bad can degrade the quality of the game and the players reaction as well.
Text though i will agree does have some bonuses against VA.
1. Its more easy in being flexible. Say base game is done and alreaey have the VA for it but an dlc/expansion comes along and interacts with a part of the base game, its easier with text to have npcs react, talk, be integrated in the base game with text than with VA because with text u coukd just rewrite or add in some texts and be done while with VA u have to rehire the same actor and bring them in for the lines. Etc etc.
2. Imagination. When reading the text the npc has the voice of whatever we chose for said person while with VA we are already shown what the npc sounds like. Without VA a npc over the course of many gamers will have several different voices thanks to imagination but with VA everybody gets the same voice. Now im not saying this is always best because there are times i was introduced to a new sound of voice instead of the limited selection in my head. So im just listing this as overall.
3. Price. Its cheaper to add a few writen lines than to pay someone to voice those lines.

Now since i stated where text is better, as far as execution both ways IF done well can enhance the players gameplay experience.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

VO hurts the flow of the game?

Please.

Since you asked...

A game is something where you control the flow: do something, something happens. The same is true for reading. VO on the other hand forces its pace on you. So you get repeatedly kicked out of the natural flow that you control into something controlled by the game. Same as cutscenes. I don't like either, except in very small doses e.g. between chapters. Which is why I always switch on subtitles and ignore/skip through the VO.

So yeah, VO hurts the flow of the game.
  • Ieo and Malekith like this

Jitawa

Jitawa

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think VO can add a lot, but partial works pretty well.  When I think back on games like Baldur's Gate 2, the elements that were actually voiced by Viconia were sufficient for me to get a good sense of the tone of her dialog and I could hear her in my "head-voice" for most of the non-voiced material.  Same with pretty much all the characters.  I think we generally care more about voice with characters we might be forming relationships with in some way (Mazzy, Minsc, etc.) than having the innkeepers' lines on local gossip fully-voiced.

BG2 had David f'ing Warner as Jon Irenicus, which was great "get" for a video game role imho, but also somewhat expensive I imagine.  If you compare the amount of speaking he had to the amount of speaking the Illusive man has in Mass Effect 2 though, there's no real contest.  The exposure he had in BG2 was sufficient to establish the character very well.

I hope the "limited" VO extends to the level of BG2, but ultimately I just think it's nice to get it to an area where the character's "voice" can be well-established.

Cyseal

Cyseal

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 184 posts

In Baldur's gate , Planescape and Icewind dale games, along witty wtriting, I adore deep tone voiceovers (male and female). Do you know are there deep tone and nice voice colours actors in POE?

Edited by Cyseal, 24 March 2015 - 12:35 PM.

Kinthalis

Kinthalis

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The game features a tremendous amount of writing and dialogue.

It's just not feasible to have full voice acting for all of it without ending up with a huge voice acting budget requirement, not to mention a long delay between finalizing content and the game being ready (you can't start voice acting until all or most of the dialogue is set in stone after all!).

What you typically end up with is a narrative that features less characters, less elements, less options - basically you end up with dragon Age:Inquisition. Where sidequest consists of "pick up x number of flowers", and even where the main narrative thread, the only one with any sort of interesting meat on it, is fairly linear, and is lacking in player agency.

• Bryy likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

"Partial voice acting", though a small thing, was one of the elements of the Kickstarter pitch that got me the most excited for PE.

I know that it's "in" to not like VO, but a game without VO seriously limits its immersion.

endruwiggin

endruwiggin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts

Planescape:Torment had trizillion lines of text with only very few narrated (hello morty!). Didn't bother any of us ;)

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

"Partial voice acting", though a small thing, was one of the elements of the Kickstarter pitch that got me the most excited for PE.

I know that it's "in" to not like VO, but a game without VO seriously limits its immersion.

Well this is an old quote.

But personally, I find the opposite. Whatever immersion is gained from full VO goes out the window when I get impatient with the time they add to the cutscenes and everyone starts to

talk-

li-

thi-

• Malekith, Ganrich and Voss like this

DCParry

DCParry

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Personally, I actually prefer no voice acting to partial. I just find sudden switches between voiced and not voiced jarring, and I have a special, silent hatred for the often random and nonsensical greetings of Baldur's Gate (except for Minsc's ones). Thankfully, my strange idiosyncrasy isn't really a problem, thanks to the wonders of the mute button.

"Would you like a ladder..."

DCParry

DCParry

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

And yet FONV was fully voiced and was a fantastic game, writing and story.

I do agree with ya that most games that do full voice usuallybhit the mark and/or stiffle and limit dialogue and such. But a very few games....FONV is the only one that comes to mind....okay 1 game was fully voiced and was able to writing and story and roleplaying options very well.

But USUALLY a game severally limits roleplaying and options and whatnot by veing fully voiced.

New Vegas was not fully voiced. 

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts

Ok.... Good RPGs will come back somtime.. Im sure :)

I just have to wait once more ;)

Part of the reason they aren't going for full voice acting isn't just budget. It's that full voice acting limits both how much content you can add and your ability to change content down the road, not to mention making things a pain for modders. 

More than that, full voice acting requires the story and dialogues to be cut down to mere snippets of what they would otherwise be.   You can't tell a full story with complex dialogue if everything has to be reduced to voice acting.   It is exactly like a book to movie conversion.  It might be a better visual spectacle*, but you have to sacrifice depth and complexity to get it. 

*though I often disagree with that.  Watching modern movies, I find the action sequences dreadfully dull/lifeless and I tune out completely for 20 minutes at time, only to give up completely when the story doesn't pick back up and the whole thing rushes to the next hollow action sequence filled with cheesy effects. 

@Tuckey, yeah, that too.  I find full voice a waste, because I inevitably get fed up with waiting for the actors to plod through the lines, as I'm already ahead of the 2.5 sentences of dialogue they put on screen before the actors work their way to their second breath. 

Also, ridiculous necro.  But I'm amused by the idea that people babbling makes immersion.

Edited by Voss, 24 March 2015 - 04:45 PM.

• DCParry likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Voice, Acting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users