Soundtrack. In the long run this makes a big difference.

Hi, second post (first one, about spell complexity is here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67812-are-spells-complex-enough/). 

So...soundtrack! This makes a whole lot of difference! In my opinion Baldur's Gate 2 had -hats off - the best original soundtrack actually created for a PC game (check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS32GlvalTY, except of course Valve's incredible -and unexpected -, given the pc gaming dark age we're living in, made of $$$ hungry publishers and targeted advertising, Turret Opera, placed at Portal 2 end: 

). 

As of now I've heard pretty mediocre soundtracks in Pillars of Eternity.

This is not acceptable.

If the game designers actually hope that this game becomes the next cornerstone in old-style rpg they can't fall short on music.

Baldur's Gate 2 sound track was epic. No doubt about it. After 10 years of playthorugh...fights, dialogues, betrays, different story paths....the soundtrack, that still strucks my mind today, with all it's unequivocal beauty. 

I want something -at least- comparable to that.

I'm sure you guys want the same...

...so...

please do something about it!

In my opinion Baldur's Gate 2 had -hats off - the best original soundtrack actually created for a PC game

BG2 soundtrack was epic but music from Child of Light surpasses it. (Matter of taste, of course. :))

P.S. Portal and Portal 2 were amazing in every way.

Edited by prodigydancer

Baldur's Gate 2 sound track was epic. No doubt about it. After 10 years of playthorugh...fights, dialogues, betrays, different story paths....the soundtrack, that still strucks my mind today, with all it's unequivocal beauty. 

After 10 years of playthroughs, no wonder the soundtrack is stuck in your mind.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I only remember the title theme from BG2 though, gothic 2 & HOMM IV osts were more memorable to me.  I seem to unable remember epic orchestra type of music since the only soundtrack I remember from IWD2 was skeleton of town, and I also prefer withcer 1 ost over w2.

Edited by sorrowofwind

So...soundtrack! This makes a whole lot of difference! In my opinion Baldur's Gate 2 had -hats off - the best original soundtrack actually created for a PC game , except of course Valve's incredible -and unexpected -, given the pc gaming dark age we're living in, made of $$$ hungry publishers and targeted advertising, Turret Opera, placed at Portal 2 

Personal taste, personal taste, personal taste... imo while good the baldurs gate 1/2 soundtrack is also rather generic. Its what you would expect from such a game.

Edited by Mayama

To be honest I'm quite concerned about the soundtrack too. I understand it's still in unfinished and unpolished state in the beta, but it's generic and there is no question about that. Maybe it will be awesome in final game and maybe they still have the best pieces in reserve, but this criticism is for the beta and what we have heard so far.

For me best examples of some brilliant soundtracks from recent RPGs are The Witcher and Witcher 2 OSTs and Divinity: Original Sin. Those OSTs really add something to the game's atmosphere and personality and aren't afraid to take some risks and explore unconventional ideas.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

New to forums so 'hi'.

Listened to a few tracks from PoE and they were ambient with a bit of - am no musician, but sound a bit off center. I suppose the words are uneasy and evocative. There must be musical terminology for this sort of thing. I hope the music is a reflection of PoE, being that PoE is *not* your average hero saga with a destiny accompanied by loud brash music.

Fave game sountracks are Zork Nemesis, MoTB, and Thief Deadly Shadows.

Actual live music of the soundtrack might bring it to life a bit more as well as some alterations to the mixing.

Personally I like what we have sofar but sure live music is always better. That said if I correct and not mixing things up wasn't live instrumentation part of the final 4 Million stretch goal? Quote from the Kickstarter site:

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

So for me that means we gonna get a live music soundtrack.

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Depends on how one reads it. It could mean that they'll be using live instrumentation for certain bits only. 

Hmm I can't see a single word that would somehow limit it to olny a part of the soundtrack. When you write "enhancing the whole game" for and that talk about the soundtrack in the next sentence than its hard for me to see how you could read it in any other way than using live instrumentation for all of the soundtrack hence "the whole game". So thats just MHO and to be honest I can be sometimes a bit of a stickler for words so it could very well be that I sometimes take things too serious and for granted :(.

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Depends on how one reads it. It could mean that they'll be using live instrumentation for certain bits only.

Hmm I can't see a single word that would somehow limit it to olny a part of the soundtrack. When you write "enhancing the whole game" for and that talk about the soundtrack in the next sentence than its hard for me to see how you could read it in any other way than using live instrumentation for all of the soundtrack hence "the whole game". So thats just MHO and to be honest I can be sometimes a bit of a stickler for words so it could very well be that I sometimes take things too serious and for granted :(.

As a musician and composer, I will say that it most likely means that a few live instruments will be used along with samples to get a more lively sound. It takes a lot of money to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack played by a full live orchestra.

I would love a glorious soundtrack as well, but I don't know if this is one of their top concerns. I would sure like to hear some official response to this, however. Kinda just laying out where the soundtrack is headed and what we can expect compared to say, Baldur's Gate.

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking."

"A dozen more questions occurred to me. Not to mention twenty-two possible solutions to each one, sixteen resulting hypotheses and counter- theorems, eight abstract speculations, a quadrilateral equations, two axioms, and a limerick. That's raw intelligence for you."

-Bartimaeus