Fatal Error in GC

awakenevil

Question

8 answers to this question

Hey awakenevil,

I Googled your error and it seems to be a problem with Unity. I suggest Googling it yourself and trying some of the fixes the public has come up with. A lot of them just changed some anti-virus options. I'm definitely going to be on the look out for this on our end as well.

Keep the bugs coming.

So did you guys actually google this? Because it took me 5 seconds to remember that this issue is well known... what staff told you wasn't a joke. There is even a specific FAQ entry in KSP for this as it's a very common issue with Unity 4.*.* games

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/faq.php

When I start the game, I get a strange error that says "GetThreadContext Failed" and the game crashes.

This is most likely about a background program interfering with the execution, the prime suspect is an Antivirus, but it may be something else. Try turning the Antivirus off and see if the game starts okay. It should also help to update your graphics drivers and/or Video BIOS.

Certain applications can make Unity throw up this error, including for that matter certain applications (not AV) you think are completely harmless. They are not. If you see this error, in 99.99% of all cases, user was running some application in the BG.

For example I can make this error happen regularly when I run MPC-HC x64 with MadVR and PoEt at the same time. (Don't ask why*)

I hope this helps some of you having this error. For anyone else you need to post output.log and what applications run in the BG.

Ps.: Any Unity engine game by the way should have that particular FAQ entry. Back when KSP was starting this error drove us nearly insane to find out what caused this. (I am saying us, because at the same time another dev converted to Unity 4 (Arcengames..) and this error haunted us aka friendly people wanting to support an indy dev there for a while)

Edited by eRe4s3r

That is a very weird error.  For GetThreadContext to fail, the thread in question would have to be not suspended, which suggests a logic error in the garbage collector (something definitely built into Unity or even whatever .NET code Unity is built upon rather than in PoE application code).

In short, for garbage collection to work, the GC suspends all running threads (via SuspendThread), then calls GetThreadContext on each to figure out what memory regions to scan for references.  It almost sounds like this is timing-related.  Maybe something in Unity spawns a thread in a way where it isn't atomically added to whatever internal thread list is used for GC scanning, so it misses the suspend sweep on a GC cycle but makes it into the list before scanning begins.

So for this problem to have increased in this patch, it could be because PoE is now creating threads it didn't used to before and so there are more opportunities for this to happen, or it could simply be a matter of GC timing being changed because allocations are occurring in places where they didn't before.  I don't know Unity, but understanding the problem in general I don't know that there's anything the PoE devs can do in their own code to fix this.  And now I'm curious if the Unity source code is available to look at... :p

yes googled and yes found the same thread talking about killing anti virus and other background apps. I do normally use ESET anti virus but disabled it for the purposes of the test and same "GetThreadContext" error occurred. Started task manager and killed EVERYTHING non-essential to the OS... same thing, no dice. 

• Like 1

That's very sad to hear ;/ You can still try uninstalling Eset for a temporary moment, then reboot and then try again, but please understand that I am not making you hope here and you should only do that temporarily if it DOESN'T fix it, disabling the AV properly should have been enough!.. I am just going through possibilities that for some people fixed the issues on other forums. Do you have any USB devices plugged in apart from storage, printer and kb/mouse? Specifically headphones or the like?

Did you try starting PoE without steam running? and "as admin" ?

Essentially if you google for the KSP forum that is about this bug you will find every possible attempted solution (And some people for whom these never solved it, sadly)

Anyway.. I hope one of my ideas brings you closer to playing the game again.