About failing quests

Gonshu

I was very dissapointed in the regard of failing quests. Considering the fact that the only way of getting experience is by completing quests (which I like, though probably would do it based on objectives) you have to be super careful on what dou you consider as a failed quest (if there is any way to fail a quest at all!)

The concrete example in the beta. In the cat and mouse quest, I talked to the mobs, then go in to the inn and decided to fight the thieves and kill them, then I go out and fight the mobs and kill them too. What is my surprise when I see the quest failing negating me the exp reward. In my opinion that was disappointing, cause I resolved the quest in one way (killing both parts). I think probably money reward has to be negated but not the exp reward, since the quest got to a conclussion.

I think that making quests to fail or give different amount of experience depending on how you solve a quest, considering that it is the only way to get experience, is a design mistake that has to be addressed asap. (Sorry for being melodramatic, but I really think so). Either create other experience sources or make quests not being able to fail (just resolve them in different ways).

• Like 2

I like the possibility of inefficacy in my characters. The industry trend towards Mary Sue protagonists is disheartening.

Sometimes you're gonna screw up... Spilling the milk isn't a bad thing, it's a learning experience. Especially, if it opens up alternate quest paths.

• Like 5

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I like the possibility of inefficacy in my characters. The industry trend towards Mary Sue protagonists is disheartening.

Sometimes you're gonna screw up... Spilling the milk isn't a bad thing, it's a learning experience. Especially, if it opens up alternate quest paths.

Actually I thought it was funny to break the dragon egg.

But sadly there was no conclusion to the quest then.

I couldn't tell anyone I broke it nor did that open any new path.

(Or did I miss something?)

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I felt the same way about the Cat and Mouse quest, Honshu. It's like I had to side with the baddies waiting outside, just because I didn't have enough of whatever stat would allow me to lie convincingly. Killing all of the thieving scum should be a valid solution. Or turning them in. Something other than colluding with the first half of the bandit brigade.

It's really weird to kill the leader of a brigand pack and see "Quest Failed".

Edited by PrimeHydra
  • Like 1

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

I'd be ok with quests failing - but not if you get no experience. Characters gotta grow somehow. I think the big push seems to be for objective-based experience, which seems like a happy medium between combat xp and quest xp.

I think it's logical to assume that a character learns as much (or more) from a failed quest as a successful one.  Ideally I think there should be no truly "failed" quests, just different avenues of completion and story advancement.

• Like 2

Is there a way to save the dragon egg?

I saved the dragon egg.

Used BB Fighter.

For, fatty mcclumsy

BB Fighter

broke the damned thing. 

I want back to the herbalist person and she said nothing, no exp awarded. 

I mean, I am fine with less exp awarded (the egg would have been great, but I suppose I can use these shells as coasters) but it was a bit annoying to get nothing. 

In fact, one could argue you would get MORE experience by tumbling your ass down hill and making a giant dragon omelette then gracefully hoping up and down.

;-)

Oh, anyone try this with the grappling hook by the way? Every character I bought one with has gotten bugged out and stuck before I get a chance to use and the one time I got there I had forgotten to buy one.  

I guess you had the missing quest log bug which resets the quests. You can avoid it by always loading the game from the start screen.

Without the bug the quest giver is slightly anoyed but says she can use the broken parts you have gathered, you get XP and some stuff. I guess you get better stuff if you dont break it.

• Like 1

I guess you had the missing quest log bug which resets the quests. You can avoid it by always loading the game from the start screen.

Without the bug the quest giver is slightly anoyed but says she can use the broken parts you have gathered, you get XP and some stuff. I guess you get better stuff if you dont break it.

Ah, good to know!