This game needs polish!

Marceror

It would be one thing if OE didn't know that they were releasing the beta in a near unplayable state and beta testers happened to discover a nasty bug. But that's not what happened.

OE knew well about this bug, and opted not to fix it prior to release, "allowing" their fans to "discover" it thousands and thousands of times. Think about the amount of their fans' times they were okay with wasting. Maybe unforgivable is a bit harsh, but this definitely rubs me the wrong way.

If you know you have a game breaking bug, fix it, then release to your fans. Not the other way around.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If you know you have a game breaking bug, fix it, then release to your fans. Not the other way around.

Once again, beta test.

Go to the Bug Forum to discuss bugs. 

Ah, but this is not a discussion of bugs in this case. It's the discussion of the process of making decisions. In this case, a decision that was not in the best interests of Obsidian, it's backers/fans or the game.

Does OE really want the world to see the let's plays going up on Youtube, only to end on the 2nd or 3rd video with a declaration that "sorry, the game's just unplayable". Because that's just one of the unfortunate outcomes of their decision. Unfortunate.

That's always a risk with semi public betas. Dumbos are gonna judge the entire game based on BETA bugs because they aren't smart enough to figure out it's not final.   I don't blame Obsidian for that. I'll blame the people who don't get that. That's why while I was annoyed with the vanishing items in the beta I'm not gonna bash the game for that. They're bugs. in a beta. they'll be fixed.

Now, if they exist in the final released game, then the complaining will be justified.

• Like 5

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Marceror, that's not how beta testing works...

I reckon you want a bug-free full release. You'll get it. I suppose... I'll see you when the GAME has been released :)

Peace.

P.S. I vote an admin/mod change the topic title to the TRUTH "This BETA needs polish!", because right now the title is a LIE.

• Like 2

It must be awesome to have so much free time that even when someone knowingly wastes it you don't care.

Once again, I get that there will be bugs in a beta, but a known game breaker that gets released anyway?

It's like if I loan a friend my car, and it breaks down after he gets a few miles away. He calls me to tell that my car broke down and I reply, oh yeah I knew that was going to happen. I need to take it in for repairs.

What? Then why in the world did you loan it to me??

• Like 1

P.S. I vote an admin/mod change the topic title to the TRUTH "This BETA needs polish!", because right now the title is a LIE.

Semantics. It's the beta of a game. So the title most definitely is NOT a LIE! :huh:

Marceror, give it a rest. If the beta is too buggy for you to test, then by all means stop testing it and wait for the next build.

A lot of us are enjoying the process a lot, bugs and all, and Obsidian is getting a lot of useful feedback from us already.

As to your silly car metaphor, a better analogy would be that you're building a racing car from scratch, and then let a friend take it around the track once knowing it's half-finished. Then ithe transmission breaks down halfway around and he has to walk back.

If your friend was really touchy and entitled and is going to whine about how horrible it was that it broke down and he had to walk back, then letting him try it out was probably a bad idea. But if he's a race car enthusiast who maybe tinkers with them himself, he might still be thrilled with the experience and only looking forward to another try once you've finished rebuilding the transmission.

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 11

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Why do you say people are wasting their time on the beta? Just because you don't like it dosn't mean other people dont. Personally I love the insight and the taste of the final result I get in the beta, and I chose to play it and "waste" my time on it. Why are you even playing the beta? Seems like you were expecting nearly a perfect demo with a few critical bugs - that's not the case. If they didn't release a buggy beta we most certainly won't have a bug-free release. I suggest you lay off the beta until the release or atleast for a couple updates to fix some bugs, you will get a better experience if you can't enjoy the other parts of it. 

Marceror, give it a rest. If the beta is too buggy for you to test, then by all means stop testing it and wait for the next build.

A lot of us are enjoying the process a lot, bugs and all, and Obsidian is getting a lot of useful feedback from us already.

As to your silly car metaphor, a better analogy would be that you're building a racing car from scratch, and then let a friend take it around the track once knowing it's half-finished. Then ithe transmission breaks down halfway around and he has to walk back.

If your friend was really touchy and entitled and is going to whine about how horrible it was that it broke down and he had to walk back, then letting him try it out was probably a bad idea. But if he's a race car enthusiast who maybe tinkers with them himself, he might still be thrilled with the experience and only looking forward to another try once you've finished rebuilding the transmission.

Technically it was a car simile, not a metaphor, but whatever.

But yeah, I guess this really comes down to perspective. Your analogy is not "better" in my opinion, but it's very telling about where you're coming from. Very educational for me, actually. This is not at all how I see it. But my opinion is not inferior to yours just as yours is not inferior to mine.

In WL2 and other betas/early access games that I've played, I've always rolled with the punches. Perhaps I've just gotten supremely unlucky in my experience with the PoE beta, because in 3 games I've NEVER been able to cast a single wizard spell. The grimoire always goes poof before the first battle. And well, third time's the charm as they say. After the third time of seeing my wizard and cleric lose their gear, I concluded that the beta was released prematurely. Maybe it worked out differently for you, or the idea of having a useless wizard didn't really bother you. It did me, and it would be far better in my opinion to have that issue resolved before I go through the game.

Maybe my time is a lot more limited than yours, and so if I'm going to spend it gaming, I need just need the stability cranked up a few notches higher than you do. I know it's not that you're more excited about the game than I am, because, well, I don't think that's possible. I've been waiting for this game for a LONG time, and if it is properly completed and polished, I believe it will become my new all time fav., at long last supplanting the BG series.

I'm sure there's all kinds of psychological stuff playing into this, but at the end of the day, I see this the way I see it, and you see it the way you see it. I'm not offended or put out that we see if differently, and neither should you be.

Anyhow, I'm not going to ask you to give it a rest. And similarly, I have no intentions of doing so either. If this thread troubles you, than I encourage you to do yourself a favor and stop reading it.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I do appreciate that your slogging through this broken beta and providing bug reports. We will all benefit from that. Perhaps I'll be able to join you again after the next patch! :thumbsup:

So, when it boils down to it, the OP doesn't like a few bugs and really wants TB combat. Oh, and the area that was deliberately chosen not to be spoilerish isn't spoilerish enough.

Dude, what you really want is ToEE with the Co8 mod. Problem solved. Kthxbye because you've made your point and now you're simply being a drama queen.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

So, when it boils down to it, the OP doesn't like a few bugs and really wants TB combat. Oh, and the area that was deliberately chosen not to be spoilerish isn't spoilerish enough.

Dude, what you really want is ToEE with the Co8 mod. Problem solved. Kthxbye because you've made your point and now you're simply being a drama queen.

I'm sorry, but you just failed reading comprehension 101.

Once again, beta test.

Ah, but this is not a discussion of bugs in this case. It's the discussion of the process of making decisions. In this case, a decision that was not in the best interests of Obsidian, it's backers/fans or the game.

Does OE really want the world to see the let's plays going up on Youtube, only to end on the 2nd or 3rd video with a declaration that "sorry, the game's just unplayable". Because that's just one of the unfortunate outcomes of their decision. Unfortunate.

Well.

You wanted to know how video games were made.

Presumably. Because you paid for the beta and watched the updates.

So don't get pissed off when how games are made does not line up with your vision of how they are made.

• Like 2

Once again, beta test.

Well.

You wanted to know how video games were made.

Presumably. Because you paid for the beta and watched the updates.

So don't get pissed off when how games are made does not line up with your vision of how they are made.

So, um, are you intentionally missing my points? Because that seems to be becoming a bit of habit.

Set wrote:

It hurts so much. I'm just going to replay SRR, the beta so far is a massive disappointment. I'd be deathly ill at this point, were it not for D:OS turning out to be so amazing.

Osvir wrote:
Were you this butthurt on we ek 1 of the Divinity: Original Sin Early Access too? Or just short-term memory? (Crashing, glitching, clipping, imbalance, exploits, bugs, etc. etc.)

What I wrote on the codex. Because many people are praising Divinity: OS today, yet don't realize the process it went through before getting to the stage it is in today.

Just a reminder.
Edited by Osvir
  • Like 3

Set wrote:

It hurts so much. I'm just going to replay SRR, the beta so far is a massive disappointment. I'd be deathly ill at this point, were it not for D:OS turning out to be so amazing.

Osvir wrote:

Were you this butthurt on we ek 1 of the Divinity: Original Sin Early Access too? Or just short-term memory? (Crashing, glitching, clipping, imbalance, exploits, bugs, etc. etc.)

What I wrote on the codex. Because many people are praising Divinity: OS today, yet don't realize the process it went through before getting to the stage it is in today.

Just a reminder.

I didn't play this one during early access. I own it, but have only been able to clock in around 4 hours so far. Not enough free time I guess, and generally I have been enjoying WL2 more.

I'm seriously considering manufacturing a serious injury so I can get some extended time off work! Too many great RPGs in 2014! :p

Maybe my time is a lot more limited than yours, and so if I'm going to spend it gaming

That's your problem right there. This isn't gaming. It's participating in game development as an early playtester. If you don't enjoy that, then stop doing it and take your drama/whining elsewhere.

And yes, I will take your suggestion of not participating in this thread, or indeed interacting with you in general, unless and until you lose that entitled it's-all-about-me-and-my-precious-free-time attitude.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Set wrote:

Osvir wrote:

Just a reminder.

I didn't play this one during early access. I own it, but have only been able to clock in around 4 hours so far. Not enough free time I guess, and generally I have been enjoying WL2 more.

I'm seriously considering manufacturing a serious injury so I can get some extended time off work! Too many great RPGs in 2014! :p

Divinity: OS is one of the best cRPG's made. It took about 6-7 months of Early Access before it was released. Wasteland 2 is supposed to take some 9-10 months right? (Release is 19th September)

WL2 is also great, but from what I heard it was an utter mess as well in the beginning~ first build releases tend to be.

Remember where WL2 comes from and how it looked like before the state that it is in today, perhaps then you will be more humble and insightful when looking at Pillars of Eternity Beta. I don't think your frustration is "This game sucks!", I think your frustration is based on excitement a la "I want this game so bad!". The issue with your presentation of your opinion is that it comes off as arrogantly.

I am beta testing your opinion Marceror*, it is filled with bugs and issues! Because I think you have good intentions :)

* It's just a joke :p

Edited by Osvir

Maybe my time is a lot more limited than yours, and so if I'm going to spend it gaming

That's your problem right there. This isn't gaming. It's participating in game development as an early playtester. If you don't enjoy that, then stop doing it and take your drama/whining elsewhere.

And yes, I will take your suggestion of not participating in this thread, or indeed interacting with you in general, unless and until you lose that entitled it's-all-about-me-and-my-precious-free-time attitude.

I usually do enjoy it. Fix the disappearing items and I'll be in a much better position to. I'd like to at least have my wizard able to participate. Can't really play test a wizard when they can't cast spells, now can you?

There's that word "entitled" again. Oh, how people love it around here. At any rate, I'm not sharing my opinions just because of "my" precious time (and yes, my time is extremely precious to me, as my most limited resource), it's on behalf anyone who feels similarly to me. If it was just about "my" precious time, I assure you that I would not have spent so much of it on these forums to raise issues/concerns. Anyhow, take care then.

Wizard issue:
- Have you tried "stealing" the BB Wizards grimoire and put it on your Main? Have you made 1 Main Wizard, then went to Dengler (in the inn) and made another one with the same party? Can you still not cast spells? Does the grimoire still disappear? Have you tried finding loopholes, walk arounds, solutions to your problem so that you CAN test it? Otherwise, BB Wizard functions just fine so you can test spells with that premade unit.

GOLD TIP:
- Kill Merdreth and loot her group the second you start the game. This way you get a lot of gear and you can go sell to be able to afford 1-2 companions. You can repeat this as many times as you like (the loot respawns evertime you enter "Dyrford Village" map).

Edited by Osvir

Marceror, there is a reason so many people are using that word around you. You may not think it and it may not necessarily be true, but that's the impression you are giving off and the reputation you are developing based solely on how you are coming across in your posts. Just consider that.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I haven't played a wizard as my main character. I'm just talking about the BB Wizard. He keeps losing his grimoire. I guess I could create a second wizard and give the grimoire to BB Wizard. Seems like a waste of money to have to do that though.

Maybe I will play around with some additional options tomorrow night, if I don't get home too late.