Will the protagonist be Revan?

Being half asleep as I currently am a strange thought has entered my head. Will the mystery protagonist of Sith Lords be Revan him/herself?

The PC is apparently a disgraced veteran of the mandalorian wars. Can't get more disgraced than Revan himself. An exile for several years from republic space, at the time of sith lords Revan will have been absent from the republic for four years apparently.

Playing as Revan would avoid the "goddamn you, you ruined my character" problems from fans, as well as provide a good way of asking/answering those questions about Kotor 1 in a natural way. It would also allow the player to choose Revan's fate.

Would explain why the ebon hawk makes a reappearance as well as T3 and HK-47.

What do you all think? Am I on to something here? Will the protagonist of Sith Lords be a returning exiled Revan, out of practise with using the force, who arrives back to find the Republic in turmoil and the Jedi Order nearly destroyed?

Being half asleep as I currently am a strange thought has entered my head. Will the mystery protagonist of Sith Lords be Revan him/herself?

The PC is apparently a disgraced veteran of the mandalorian wars. Can't get more disgraced than Revan himself. An exile for several years from republic space, at the time of sith lords Revan will have been absent from the republic for four years apparently.

Playing as Revan would avoid the "goddamn you, you ruined my character" problems from fans, as well as provide a good way of asking/answering those questions about Kotor 1 in a natural way. It would also allow the player to choose Revan's fate.

Would explain why the ebon hawk makes a reappearance as well as T3 and HK-47.

What do you all think? Am I on to something here? Will the protagonist of Sith Lords be a returning exiled Revan, out of practise with using the force, who arrives back to find the Republic in turmoil and the Jedi Order nearly destroyed?

Ok idea, but i don't think that Obsidian will pull the same plot-twist as Bioware once did.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ok idea, but i don't think that Obsidian will pull the same plot-twist as Bioware once did.

Ah, you misunderstand what I meant. I didn't mean some great "MY GOD! I'M REVAN!" plot twist. I meant actually starting out as Revan, knowing that the character is Revan. Players naming their character could be accomodated by the fact that the pc may be revan but would prefer to think of himself in the only identity he remembers ie. the one from Kotor.

Ah, you misunderstand what I meant. I didn't mean some great "MY GOD! I'M REVAN!" plot twist. I meant actually starting out as Revan, knowing that the character is Revan. Players naming their character could be accomodated by the fact that the pc may be revan but would prefer to think of himself in the only identity he remembers ie. the one from Kotor.

Oh, my mistake. It would solve how HK-47 and T3 being your party-members to who's alive and not. But there's one problem though, which has been adressed several times before: How can Revan gone from being the one with the most powerful connection to the force to loosing his lightsaber, having his/her forcepowers at an apprentices level?

Also, Obsidian stated in the articles that Revan would only be a NPC in KotORII.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How bout a You a Reven and Bastilas son/daughter who was out in exile for saftey. :)

Since KotOR2 will take place 5 years after KotOR, that child must have grown pretty damn quickly. Wow, accelerated growth! *rolls eyes* Please, the "descendent of the previous protagonist" has to be one of the most hackneyed ideas ever.

I dont think that reven would be the prtagonist.

Reven was one of the most powerful jedi at the time, being a new game the main character is likely to start at level 1.

maybe reven is the antagonist following on from the dark side ending of the first game

i still don't get how you can be a 'veteran' and start at level 0.

it's one thing to have 'forgotten' how to use the force, but a veteran with 0 xp makes it sound like you also forgot how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Playing as Revan would create more problems than it solves.

I must admit; the description of your character sounds suspiciously like Revan. It's feasible, but they'd have to twist logic to make it work.

Playing as Revan would create more problems than it solves.

I must admit; the description of your character sounds suspiciously like Revan. It's feasible, but they'd have to twist logic to make it work.

I concede the earlier point about Revan being mentioned as an npc only. I must have not read them closely enough. If true that does scupper my idea quite nicely. I don't think it takes any logic twisting to make the pc Revan though, how's this:

A year after the battle of the Star Forge, Revan is still tormented by flash memories of his past. Memories of a great dark power on the outer rim begin to return in his darkest nightmares. Troubled by this, Revan secretly begins preparations to leave. Not wishing to bring danger to his friends (or give advantage to them if DS) Revan leaves the Ebon Hawk and his two faithful droids at an abandoned mining station, before setting of in an unmarked craft into the unknown regions alone.

During Revan's battle to destroy (or sieze if DS) this power it's guardians badly injure Revan and, crippled, he barely escapes with his life. He slowly makes his way back to known space, a broken man. Without his lightsaber he is defenceless against the guardians of the dark power who hunt him tirelessly, his only means of hiding from them is to cease all contact with the force. Even the slightest use of the force during his long journey would alert his hunters, and when he returns to the asteroid where he left the Ebon Hawk he is but a shadow of his former self. The force is still strong with him, but the practise required to focus it has been denied him in his years long return. That's when he learns that events in his absense have been far worse then he could ever have foreseen....

A year after the battle of the Star Forge, Revan is still tormented by flash memories of his past. Memories of a great dark power on the outer rim begin to return in his darkest nightmares. Troubled by this, Revan secretly begins preparations to leave. Not wishing to bring danger to his friends (or give advantage to them if DS) Revan leaves the Ebon Hawk and his two faithful droids at an abandoned mining station, before setting of in an unmarked craft into the unknown regions alone.

During Revan's battle to destroy (or sieze if DS) this power it's guardians badly injure Revan and, crippled,  he barely escapes with his life. He slowly makes his way back to known space, a broken man. Without his lightsaber he is defenceless against the guardians of the dark power who hunt him tirelessly, his only means of hiding from them is to cease all contact with the force. Even the slightest use of the force during his long journey would alert his hunters, and when he returns to the asteroid where he left the Ebon Hawk he is but a shadow of his former self. The force is still strong with him, but the practise required to focus it has been denied him in his years long return. That's when he learns that events in his absense have been far worse then he could ever have foreseen....

they could explaine it in a million different ways, but i kind of like your take on how things could go.

no, that sounds terrible.

if you're revan in KOTOR2, then you should be from the get-go, not another bloody game where you discover that you're revan.

if the protagonist of KOTOR2 is revan, it'll be bad enough that he/she is nerfed by another lame Bio excuse, without having to put up with the tedious plotting of the big reveal.

You won't be Revan, that much is already clear.

As far as the 'veteran' at level 1, you could easily be a veteran of a war (10 years ago, was it?) and not have kept up the physical and mental training required to be in perfect shape. I assume this is where you progress from level 1 onwards, relearning techniques with the Force as well as other important lessons.

As far as the 'veteran' at level 1, you could easily be a veteran of a war (10 years ago, was it?) and not have kept up the physical and mental training required to be in perfect shape.

that's bloody silly. since when did you have to be in perfect shape merely to have level 0? besides, i doubt you start KOTOR2 with a beer gut and a dodgy liver.

rusty is one thing - maybe a -10% penalty to skills, etc - but level 0 is another. if the PC is a vet then this is someone who's not only undergone basic training but seen actual combat. and if they survived the mandalorian wars, then presumably they were pretty tough. the idea that they'd be busted back to level 0 is even stupider than "you wake up in a dungeon with all your items gone".

i don't have a problem with starting KOTOR2 as a newb. but i'd rather they make you a proper newb and not a phony one for plot purposes.

no, that sounds terrible.

if you're revan in KOTOR2, then you should be from the get-go, not another bloody game where you discover that you're revan.

if the protagonist of KOTOR2 is revan, it'll be bad enough that he/she is nerfed by another lame Bio excuse, without having to put up with the tedious plotting of the big reveal.

I meant that you'd be Revan from the get go. That there would be no silly plot twists (Which I agree would be lame), the pc would be revan right from the very beginning of the game. Instead of creating a new pc at the start of the game you would be recreating your Revan character from Kotor.

Is that clear enough? No plot twists, no shattered memory, just revan straight from the off, playing the same character as in Kotor 1.

The thing that got me thinking is that there is only the slimmest of official detail about Sith Lords at the moment. The very vague detail of the main protagonist could just be a way of fudging the details of the game to keep some surprises later on. I mean, all the folk who've already started screaming about Obsidian messing with "their" Revan character would be surprised as hell if they started up the game and found the main character is still Revan from Kotor 1 (with no plot twists in any form, just thought I'd empasise that).

After all, going by Fallout 1&2 the guys at Obsidian do have a quirky sense of humour. This kind of real life version of the Revanlation might just amuse the hell out of them.

"When they start the game they'll find that the mysterious Mandalorian veteran is none other the Revan himself! *Gasp* A plot twist before the plot even starts. Hehe, that'll get 'em."

I personally think the game would be better if the character started of with a certain number of levels already in mundane skills, blaster profiency and things of that nature and just make up for it with higher Jedi levels at the end. After all even if someone's been exiled from the order and stopped using the force they still won't be totally useless with non-force things will they?

If Revan's an NPC in the game, I'd say we're more likely to find him/her dead than alive.

Consider: Obs doesn't want to mess with anyone's internal perception of how they played Revan. They'll 'feel us out' early in the game to see if our Revan was male/female and dark/light/neutral. That still leaves other things like appearance, equipment, skills, and voice. I doubt they're going to give us a questionaire.

They can establish in the opening text-scroll that Revan was killed in some mysterious catastrophe. Then, they can make Revan a Force ghost, offering us advice based on his/her former devotion. Put the traditional deep-hooded robe on him/her, and give the voice a nice wispy quality, and there you have it. Much less hackneyed than having us be him/her or kill him/her. Less problematic for each player's internal perceptions, too.

As for the level 1 start, I don't have much of a problem with it. Jedi powers are so ridiculously strong that I'd say that you'd have to be well into your training before you qualified as a level 1 jedi (about the point you became a full Padawan and got your lightsabre). From there it's easy to explain that you were sent off on a mission where you didn't see any action (i.e. got no XP) and your master died or lost you or turned evil or something. Not too hard to get around.

If Revan's an NPC in the game, I'd say we're more likely to find him/her dead than alive. 

They can establish in the opening text-scroll that Revan was killed in some mysterious catastrophe. Then, they can make Revan a Force ghost, offering us advice based on his/her former devotion.  Put the traditional deep-hooded robe on him/her, and give the voice a nice wispy quality, and there you have it.  Much less hackneyed than having us be him/her or kill him/her.  Less problematic for each player's internal perceptions, too.

That's a damn good idea, a kind of Obi-wan ghost style of thing, giving out sage advice to the PC. Hehe, having a light side pc with a dark side Revan's ghost whispering vengeance in his ear would be funny.

that's bloody silly. since when did you have to be in perfect shape merely to have level 0? besides, i doubt you start KOTOR2 with a beer gut and a dodgy liver.

You might want to reread what I wrote, instead of taking it a step further with exaggeration.

You're assuming they are 'level 0' over their entire lifetime. The way I see it, the levels are simply a way to show how much experience he/she gains during the course of the game (and the game's storyline), not the character's ENTIRE life. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to start them off at a beginner's level (No XP, level 0, 1, whatever).

I'm not too keen on this veteran idea myself, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief if it's handled well. All depends on how they explain it. Being "out of touch with the force" is the reason they give now, but I'm sure that will be expanded upon.

btw, you should start Kotor2 with some powers, like you do feats and skills. You are a Jedi. Even if you're rusty you'd still remember something. There's plenty to choose from that won't unbalance the game.

When you lose touch with the force, you lose it. No skill degradation whatsoever; it's gone.

As for the explanation of you being a veteran, well... you're the PC. The PC is always hailed as way more powerful than the NPC's just because the player is controlling them... rightfully so. It follows that a veteran who lost touch with the force, quite likely the only thing they ever used to fight, would still remember the strategy of war, which they'd get from the player. It's not a matter of being out of shape, just a matter of not having the force. Well, that's what I'm thinking.

First of all:

Being Revan's and Bastila's child? Oh my god, since when did a female Revan become able to have children with Bastila?

Second of all:

Being Revan in KOTOR 2? Main storywise i suppose that would make sense. You are supposed to be a Mandalorian War Veteran and the most important person that can change the course of a war. Very Revan like. But i really hope not. Would be a little...cliched. How can you make a plot twist without copying the first game?

Third of all:

If you start with a few force powers it would be good. Otherwise you may aswell start as a scout/scoundrel/soldier again ;)

Fourth point:

Level 0 at start? Well, probably level 0. And using the rules of RPGs, your level does represent your power. For EG in original KOTOR they used starwars d20 rules, (which they probably will use in kotor2 but you are supposed to be able to go above level 20 which kinda screws the rules over), level 20 is the highest level and the equivalent of Yoda/Palpatine, which means you are the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy or at least one of them.