BETA LIVESTREAM INFO/COMPILATION: Bro, do you even Livestream?

Bryy

Here's a place to compile all information pertaining to if you want to livestream the beta on Monday. 

And please, do link to your stream in this thread. The more the merrier.

Step 1: Download Open Broadcaster.

Step 2: Read the OBS Quickstart Guide. I clicked the YT links. The visual guides are awesome.

Step 3: Make her open the box.

Step 4: Find a suitable streaming site. Twitch is great, but it has a huge con: a sixty second delay between your game and the stream. DailyMotion doesn't have this problem, but the chat box is a comment box and it deletes your videos after thirty days.  

As of now, I'm rocking a Twitch channel (http://www.twitch.tv/aspie_lad). I plan on streaming as soon as the beta is installed on my Steams on Monday. I'll have to deal with pesky birthday BS throughout the day, but I'm sure it will be fruitful. Due to the lag, I won't be able to be as interactive as I'd like. 

• Like 6

streams are overrated :p I don't understand why people would do it unless they are someone that already has a following like certain gaming Youtubers such as Northernlion or Totalbiscuit.

Personally, I'm not sure this specific game that was labeled as a game for people who love reading will lend itself all that well to streaming. I might give it a try, though.

streams are overrated :p I don't understand why people would do it unless they are someone that already has a following like certain gaming Youtubers such as Northernlion or Totalbiscuit.

Personally, I'm not sure this specific game that was labeled as a game for people who love reading will lend itself all that well to streaming. I might give it a try, though.

People really need to get over that quote.

• Like 1

You could do something like what Dansgaming (https://www.youtube.com/user/DansGaming) did when he played Torment and voice all the characters.

I dunno, I thought I'd do it in case anyone who isn't part of the beta would like to see character creation and combat.  And listen to the wonderful sound of my voice. :p

People really need to get over that quote.

Get over it implies that I was being negative - but I like that about it. It's one of the reasons I liked the IE games. At the same time,  I've yet to see a stream or LP of the IE games that I personally found entertaining. Some games are interesting to watch other people play, some are only fun if you play them yourself. :geek: I'm sure the tactical aspect, the combat and such, will be fun but I'm not sure about the famous Obsidian style enormous dialogue trees.

@Bryy,

If you're using Twitch, I don't think that 1-minute delay is supposed to be standard. I could be wrong, though. My friend watches a lot of Twitch streams, and they seem to be doing things in the game, AND talking about them with the people in chat, relatively lag-free (maybe a second or two). Of course, they're all pretty big streamers, so maybe until you're a money-receiving level of streamer, you have the evil lag? *shrug*

I can ask him. He wants to start streaming on some kind of regular basis, so he's researched it a bit, specifically with Twitch.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Bryy,

If you're using Twitch, I don't think that 1-minute delay is supposed to be standard. I could be wrong, though. My friend watches a lot of Twitch streams, and they seem to be doing things in the game, AND talking about them with the people in chat, relatively lag-free (maybe a second or two). Of course, they're all pretty big streamers, so maybe until you're a money-receiving level of streamer, you have the evil lag? *shrug*

I can ask him. He wants to start streaming on some kind of regular basis, so he's researched it a bit, specifically with Twitch.

Ask. Him.

@Bryy,

Yeah definitely not standard. I've watched plenty of twitch streams and big part of that stuff is communicating between the caster and viewers. I'm certain that there are different delay values you can add, like up to 5 min or so.

@Bryy,

Yeah definitely not standard. I've watched plenty of twitch streams and big part of that stuff is communicating between the caster and viewers. I'm certain that there are different delay values you can add, like up to 5 min or so.

It's apparently only available to Twitch Partners.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

It's apparently only available to Twitch Partners.

The lack of delay? As in, the default "you're not a partner yet" setting is "Have fun with a 1-minute delay"?

I can't ask my friend yet, btw. He's asleep right now. He works the night shift. He'll be in in a couple of hours.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, the default setting is the delay.

Which makes no damn sense considering the chat is not delayed.

EDIT: So I guess what I'll do is one run and then a second with people's opinions taken into account?

Edited by Bryy

The quality of my Offline image. Yes, it is of fine Malachian silver.

EDIT: I'll be doing some test streams tonight on various games and various settings. Going to be trying out Hitbox to see if its delay is any better.

Edited by Bryy

Yeah, the default setting is the delay.

Which makes no damn sense considering the chat is not delayed.

EDIT: So I guess what I'll do is one run and then a second with people's opinions taken into account?

Bummer... Either that, or, at pretty significant choices, you can dilly around for a minute while the chat comes up with feedback for you. I know a lot of people on there set up really quick polls, and link to them in chat, etc. That way, people: A) don't waste time telling you stuff you're not even considering doing at all, and B) can quickly and efficiently pitch their choice to you.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

The quality of my Offline image. Yes, it is of fine Malachian silver.

Went on "past broadcasts" and saw your TF2 gameplay  :facepalm:

I have since turned off archive since it's just me testing, but maybe I'll turn it back on.

@ashtonw Haha, I get that comment but I think many people are interested in seing reactions of the player as well. To bring up a very mainstream gamer - I don't think PewDiePie would be doing good if it wasn't for his reactions for example. Although Pillars of Eternity isn't a horror game I think it still will be a better stream with a webcam. Personal taste perhaps.