PC death (gamescon)

Enjoyed seeing the beetle struggles. 

Does the game always auto end if the PC reaches 0 health? Or will they be allowed to be maimed like companions (depending on difficulty settings)?

Edit: My understanding is there are two options depending on your settings:

1) if you have permadeath enabled 0 health = death. 

2) Alternatively, 0 health = maimed, and if they then later reach 0 health again while maimed = death.

My question is if #2 can apply to the PC (like companions) or if #1 always applies to the PC.

In the gamescon video the game ends when the PC reached 0 health. But the settings seemed to be on "easy" which would imply maiming would be enabled. 

Edited by Bazy

Well, considering that resurrecting people from death is impossible in this game...

It wouldn't really make sense for game not to end if PC dies

But can the PC be maimed before they "die" like companions?

The PC was maimed in the stream and the game continued.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, considering that resurrecting people from death is impossible in this game...

I guess you can, If you lose enough health over the course of several battles. Though, it seems you can't afford to get knocked out in a fight.

Doesn't the system work like, if stamina is reduced to 0, character gets maimed, but if health reaches 0 they die?

BrokenMask: I think that's correct, yes.

No.

When you lose all stamina during a fight you get "knocked out" for the remainder of your fight. But if you reach 0 health at any point you become either 1) maimed or 2) dead depending on your difficulty settings.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61533-update-24-less-than-30-hours-to-go-life-and-death-and-audio-cd-soundtrack/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1241976

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Vitality 

• Like 2

Indeed, in the first wipe, Sassy was taken to 0 Stamina, and maimed, and then so was the rest of the party, so game over.

In the second, Sassy2 was taken to 0 health, and died, so game over, even though some of the rest of the party stayed standing.

• Like 1

The PC was maimed in the stream and the game continued.

I don't see this. The PC's health only reaches 0 once, and the game ends. Nor did I see a "maimed" icon above the portrait. 

You are correct. By maimed, I meant knocked out.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Alright, so what is it now?

Stamina to zero in combat means "knocked out", "unconscious".

Health to zero means a percentage roll for either maimed or dead.

Is that correct?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Alright, so what is it now?

Stamina to zero in combat means "knocked out", "unconscious".

Health to zero means a percentage roll for either maimed or dead.

Is that correct?

0 Stam = knocked out (if you still have health)

0 health = maimed or death (depending on your settings)

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/484107370339788244

Edited by Bazy
  • Like 1

Indeed, in the first wipe, Sassy was taken to 0 Stamina, and maimed, and then so was the rest of the party, so game over.

In the second, Sassy2 was taken to 0 health, and died, so game over, even though some of the rest of the party stayed standing.

I don't see any indication that Sassy or anyone in the party was "maimed" on the first wipe. 

What I'm unclear about is why Sassy2 reaching 0 health means game over. He should have been knocked out and maimed while combat continued for the rest of the party. Unless permadeath was enabled. 

Edited by Bazy

Could it be that they stick with "your main pc dead equals game over"-concept, unlike NWN2, where your PC could be killed in combat, and then the rest of your party fought on and rezzed you later?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I just realized that I'd like to play PoE with maiming and death as possible outcomes. I wonder if any game mode will allow for that.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

The way I remember it being explained, (on the non-expert settings, anyway.) the first time your health reaches 0, you become maimed. Meaning a bunch of offensive and defensive penalties. The next time you go down, you die. (I'm ... not entirely sure how "next time down" is done. Do you get to burn through a full stamina bar each encounter, or do you get a few "we really mean it this time" health points?)

So, both outcomes are in, but you only risk death if you decide to push on after being maimed.

Edited by Ark Evensong

Me neither. I mean, in Dragon Age: Origins you had maimed conditions, and they were sort of separate from you dying - they were merely severe disadvantages that were slightly difficult to get rid of, IIRC. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66100-death-dying/?p=1443390

"The Stamina/Health mechanics still work as they have previously.  The one exception is how Maimed works on non-Expert settings.  Maimed is now only a stop-gap before death.  I.e., even on ordinary difficulty settings, any character can die if they are currently Maimed and lose their remaining Health.  As before, Maimed characters have terrible penalties to their Accuracy and all defenses but move at full speed.  Using a Maimed character in combat is asking for them to get killed.  The reason for this change was to prevent the use of Maimed characters as immortal trap-sniffers or recipients of an enemy's hard first volley."

The maimed character's remaining Health is 1, unless it's been changed so that people automatically regain more than 1 point of H. after getting reduced to 0 the first time.

If Im down to 1 HP (meaning any hit at all will kill you) and cant fight, or defend myself, and have gimped stats, Im just going to reload or camp. Who the hell is going to walk around with maimed party members? The penalties are too harsh imo and that's on Easy! Is the purpose of this mechanic to be a gold / camping supply sink?

I don't think you'd want to reload. If your character is maimed, and therefore alive, you've just possibly defeated a tough encounter. You'd just need to rest...

Alternatively, you could turn on expert mode and outright die when you reach 0 health to avoid the "inconvenience" of being maimed. :)

• Like 2