I'm sorry if this has been announced somewhere, but I found myself out of the loop with updates (Purely my own fault - I have been busy), but I was wondering if/when there will be a beta. Not an exact date or anything, more of an estimate. I'm pretty sure that part of my pledge was an "Early Access Beta Key" and I'm getting pretty excited. :) Thanks!

There's always a beta, except when devs don't use typical software development lingo. Whether or not you get to pay to be an unpaid QA non-employee is up in the air. Seems like it's becoming a trend, lately. Personally, I don't want to play an unfinished game until it's finished.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

You guys know the game comes out in December at the absolute latest and could in theory even hit late November for black Friday?  I can't imagine a game dev could want much more than their game landing on the steam front page on black Friday.

So it seems like waiting for October is maybe a bit much.  If the beta is only going to be a month or two at best you may as well not even have it because they aren't going to do anything other than bug fixes with 1.5 to 2 months to go.  The game will basically be done at that point and they will just be "polishing/fixing" and you don't need thousands of people in beta to do that.

I would like to see it land somewhere in later August or at least early September so we could have some level of input and maybe effect the final product slightly more than.  "Yeah Josh that door going into the basement of the Eomund's Manor actually puts you in the basement of the Granary, clearly a miss placed transfer tile."

This post may come across as pessimistic but it's not meant to be. :)

Brandon did say to see some gameplay sometime in the next couple of months. It's now July and I don't expect to see footage in the next two updates. So that leaves August imo. And then maybe a few weeks after that for the beta. 

Then the question of will the beta be available on all platforms? Windows, Mac and Linux? One would think so. They're not making one beta, but three. If they don't have it ready for each platform, then they may hold back two of those platforms for a week or two while they finish the third platform. I'm thinking September the earliest, possibility early October if there is a delay.

Then they have a few weeks to release the game. A few weeks doesn't seem like a lot of time and expect the new PoE technical support forum to be flooded with 'This game doesn't work' posts. So Obsidian will be fielding queries on the forum while trying to squash bugs.

Maybe gamers have gotten used to playing a beta for months from different companies. Obsidian doesn't seem to have the luxury of time giving backers months to play the beta. It seems more like a few weeks. I'm also thinking Obsidian's QA are frantically trying to squash bugs as I write this to avoid any delays any everything will be okay. :)

You guys know the game comes out in December at the absolute latest and could in theory even hit late November for black Friday?  I can't imagine a game dev could want much more than their game landing on the steam front page on black Friday.

So it seems like waiting for October is maybe a bit much.  If the beta is only going to be a month or two at best you may as well not even have it because they aren't going to do anything other than bug fixes with 1.5 to 2 months to go.  The game will basically be done at that point and they will just be "polishing/fixing" and you don't need thousands of people in beta to do that.

I would like to see it land somewhere in later August or at least early September so we could have some level of input and maybe effect the final product slightly more than.  "Yeah Josh that door going into the basement of the Eomund's Manor actually puts you in the basement of the Granary, clearly a miss placed transfer tile."

As they are keen not to show game us before its polishing is nearly complete, I would except that their goal with beta will be more about checking that they got class balance is what they intended it to be and maybe also check that UI works as it is intended. Of course any bug that we will find that they aren't already aware is plus. But I don't think that they intended to do beta so that we can give them much feed back about content. So to me it seem that they aim more like Blizzard beta than what for example inXile did with Wastland 2.

Frankly, I think that from Obsidian's POV the so-called public beta is marketing only; something they're doing because that's increasingly become the expectation with this type of thing. They've got their internal QA, they've got the publisher's QA, and they've been doing this for a very long time. It's too late in the process for the public beta to provide much meaningful feedback that could make it into the game, and since it's only a small off-critical-path portion of the game, it's unlikely to catch a large number of bugs either, most of which will only manifest in particular places in the game.

This is qualitatively different from how inXile did it; they really did throw WL2 out there early enough that player feedback could make a material difference. Which was a brave thing to do, because by definition the game was not in great shape at the time and it showed in the feedback.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

There's always a beta, except when devs don't use typical software development lingo. Whether or not you get to pay to be an unpaid QA non-employee is up in the air. Seems like it's becoming a trend, lately. Personally, I don't want to play an unfinished game until it's finished.

I feel the same way except I want to play PoE so badly I can't stand the thought of other people playing before I get to. 

I dont even want to "play" bugtest a beta. I want the whole gaming experience when it is ready and i dont mess up my own joy and excitement visiting each area for the first time once i definately know i can also complete it. So why are so many beta horny? Is it better to test a buggy beta then to enjoy the finished game? I dont understand where is the point... well... other then hell yeah me beta man :D from planet betanistan of uncomplete gaming experience but dont matter cuz i rock anyway... lol

So i will never ever again playtest a beta. I did that one time before and it was just "work". We had fun yes but i had to stand up right in the night because of the different timezone. That was one hell of a test! But great memories anyway. And now it kicks in, many ppl may dont be aware that a betatest is work and not just enjoy me leet i can play now i´m somewhat a special choosenNinja!

Yes this chosonNinja from youtube. This guy is so mental in beta... now you know what can happen if you dig to deep in betas!

Edited by NWN_babaYaga
  • Like 1

It seems to me like Obsidian's going to summon tyrannosaurs from an alternate dimension and ride them into battle against the Greek Gods, who are real and moved to Mars to live, and have been plotting mankind's demise ever since. This whole project has just been a cover for that, raising the funds to build the interdimensional portal generator.

Behold, the power of speculation. :)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u