The NPCs of PoE and their classes

I tried searching the forums for threads regarding the NPCs but found nothing. If there is already previous threads about this, please lock this one.

Anyway, I am wondering how much information there is about the joinable NPCs in the game. This is there information I have picked up through updates (please correct me if I'm wrong about this):

Edér - Human Rogue

Pallegina - Godlike Paladin

? - Orlan Cipher

Have any others been confirmed? There should be 8 in total if I remember correctly. I am mostly interested in the classes covered by the NPCs, since there will be less NPCs than there are classes in the game, it might influence what class I pick for my PC.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I kind of doubt we'll get the full list until the game is released - Spoilers and such.

There's always going to be the adventurer's hall where you can make your own.

Yeah, I realize they probably won't release the names and other details of all NPCs but perhaps getting informations about the classes could be possible.

The most important part of the game, for me, is the fully fleshed out companions. I want there stories, banters and quests. So the adventurer's hall does not help me there.

• Like 1

It is unlikely that this information is available due to spoilers etc. Some of the characters that we know of May or may not be companions.

Aloth

Sagani

Eder

Pallegina

Orlan cipher

Forton

Red headed priestess whose name eludes me at the moment.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

^Cadegund

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It is unlikely that this information is available due to spoilers etc. Some of the characters that we know of May or may not be companions.

Aloth

Sagani

Eder

Pallegina

Orlan cipher

Forton

Red headed priestess whose name eludes me at the moment.

Regarding Aloth, Sagani, Forton and Cadegund; they are not certain at all, since none of them are confirmed.

I am assuming the four base classes will be covered. To that we count the paladin and the cipher which are confirmed. That leaves us with two more classes for the joinable NPCs.

To me, getting the info on the classes, isn't that much of a spoiler. But granted, that is subjective of course.

Maybe it's best this topic be moved on the Gameplay & Mechanics section as this here is the spoiler-free zone.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

But that list is the same as the one I offered in the original post. So your link didn't make me wiser I'm afraid. :)

What he meant - probably - was that you should check this link every now and then to be up to date.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Maybe it's best this topic be moved on the Gameplay & Mechanics section as this here is the spoiler-free zone.

I was thinking about where to post this, however I'm not sure this (classes of the NPCs) could be considered spoilers after all, given the fact that the classes of three of the NPCs have been announced openly in updates from the devs without any spoiler tags or similar warnings.

Yeah, I realize they probably won't release the names and other details of all NPCs but perhaps getting informations about the classes could be possible.

On that note, I think it's actually kinda great when you meet a goodly amount of interesting NPCs in the game, but don't really know which ones, exactly, are going to be able to join your party. You kinda meet people and say "Oooh, I wonder if they'll join me at some point?" Or, they could end up being "bad guys," or just being part of some elaborate plot or something.

It's kind of a nice mystery. Or, it can be.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

On that note, I think it's actually kinda great when you meet a goodly amount of interesting NPCs in the game, but don't really know which ones, exactly, are going to be able to join your party. You kinda meet people and say "Oooh, I wonder if they'll join me at some point?" Or, they could end up being "bad guys," or just being part of some elaborate plot or something.

It's kind of a nice mystery. Or, it can be.

I totally agree. But I don't think knowing the classes of the NPCs will take the mystery part away.

I totally agree. But I don't think knowing the classes of the NPCs will take the mystery part away.

Oh, not at all, not at all. I didn't mean to suggest that we shouldn't know anything about them. I was only observationally commenting on that mystery aspect, just when you're not super sure of the exact identities of companions, as separate from non-companions. Not necessarily all of them, mind you.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What I hope about party members is we don't have to start with another Imoen. I'd hate to ditch them out in the wild right after the prologue.

My point is, you want me to get a starting companion, invest in making them familiar to me beforehand.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Please see Chris avellone updates on companions. Companions shall be written in ways that allay many of the old fears. If there's one thing I trust obsidian to do, it's to make the companions a non-issue.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

I kind of doubt we'll get the full list until the game is released - Spoilers and such.

In the Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn manual all joinable NPC's were exposed. It didn't hurt nobody. A little basic information, a guide for finding some of them, nothing more for you to panic about revealing too much of the story. However, if there's some major spoiler on the horizon, better not to show 'em too quickly.

(...) since there will be less NPCs than there are classes in the game, it might influence what class I pick for my PC.

There is something about it. I don't like having multiple party members with the same class. I know the AH will grant us the ability to add new NPC's but there will be no story behind them, as far as I know. If I were to play a rogue, Edér will bug me a bit - and It has been stated that he will play an integral role in the story of Pillars of Eternity, goddamit.

First world problems all over again :aiee:

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Chris avellone, again in his updates, has mentioned that having multiple members with the same class will allow players to access certain benefits either through story or through mechanically interesting methods. So it shouldn't be a problem with you having two rogues in the party. Also, the game mechanics are being made in a way where being a rogue should still allow you to go down a different path than another rogue.

Basically, you shouldn't really care what the make up of your party is: they've already taken that into account and are doing things to remedy those sorts of situations.

My DXdiag:

Chris avellone, again in his updates, has mentioned that having multiple members with the same class will allow players to access certain benefits either through story or through mechanically interesting methods. So it shouldn't be a problem with you having two rogues in the party. Also, the game mechanics are being made in a way where being a rogue should still allow you to go down a different path than another rogue.

Basically, you shouldn't really care what the make up of your party is: they've already taken that into account and are doing things to remedy those sorts of situations.

I'm not claiming it will be a problem having one or more characters of the same class, that's not the issue.

The point is that I want diversity. I'd like to know the classes cause it might affect my class choice (I have a few classes that I'm considering playing with my PC).

So basically, I do care.

Aloth - Elven Mage

Sagani - Dwarven Ranger

Eder - Human Rogue

Pallegina - Godlike Paladin

Orlan cipher

Forton - Human Monk

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion

This interview shows them as companions.

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58248

That's an old interview from 2012. Things have changed since then.

There are eight characters in the game, if you want to mess around with multiple class mechanics either pick five of those characters that aren't your class or make a new char at the adventurer hall. I don't think obsidian should really tell us anything about the story even when it comes to the classes of joinable npcs.

Really, all you're asking for is meta game knowledge.

My DXdiag:

There are eight characters in the game, if you want to mess around with multiple class mechanics either pick five of those characters that aren't your class or make a new char at the adventurer hall. I don't think obsidian should really tell us anything about the story even when it comes to the classes of joinable npcs.

Really, all you're asking for is meta game knowledge.

1. I stated in an earlier post that companion NPCs with backstories are one of the fundamental parts of the game for me. I wouldn't trade one of them for a paper doll in the adventurer hall for anything.

2. They have already told us the classes of 3 of the NPCs which are in the game. So how could knowing the classes of the rest of the 5 NPCs be any worse than already knowing the first 3?

I think it's likely that the core four classes(priest, fighter, mage, rogue) will all get one npc. If my guess is right there are only two unknown classes.

I think this quote from the pcworld interview confirms a priest as a party member. (The other character is likely eder).

Maybe. And some priests think that it’s actually fine and okay. One of the good things about companions is that these companions all have some stake in what’s going on in the world and so their opinions can become a springboard for discussion. You can have that back-and-forth banter with them.

For example, there is going to be a priest companion and that priest companion can give their opinion on how they feel about what’s going on and if you’re a priest or whatever you can give your own opinion. You can respond to it.

Another character who’s a soldier from the Dyrwood, which is where you’re from, he might have a very different opinion on the gods. The Dyrwood was attacked by the manifestation of a god in the Saints War, so a lot of people have mixed feelings about, “How much do we care what the gods think?”

Edited by Prometheus

"If there's one thing I trust obsidian to do, it's to make the companions a non-issue."

NWN2.

That said, they've been clear that all companions are optional which makes sense since you can throw them out in the trash in exchange for player created chaarcters anyways.

I personally prefer knowing little or nothing about potential companions pre playing since that ruins  discovering the game. Not a game breaker though.

tThat name change on that E guy  is awful. I can't wait to bang the dwarf chick though. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.