Weapons getting renown or fame after defeating enemies

Saw this on the annoying orange:
skyrimshop2.jpg

And thought: "That's kind of true in every game"

Topic:
Could the value of an item grow as you defeat V.I.P enemies?

Modding thoughts/reflection:

Not to mention the modding opportunities for it, could potentially reach Fable levels of weapon molding.

Why do I bring up modding? Because I don't know how hard something like this could be to implement if there's no script, code or trigger for it to happen. If Obsidian would entertain the thought and implement it in maybe 3-4 instances (bosses?), it would be easier for modders to copy+paste the existing ones and modify it even further.

Thoughts?

• Like 7

-snip-

A weapon leveling-up? Hmm...that's not a bad idea actually. Maybe one of the things that a modifiable weapon needs to become more powerful (through crafting for example) is that it has been "tested" against the mettle of difficult enemies.  That way you can't just make every weapon into a 2+ sword and sell it off to a merchant.

It's probably a little late to add such a mechanic into the game, but it's a good idea.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I believe it could work fairly easily:

1. Regular Longsword equipped
2. Slaying Captain Concept
3. Add Description+Buff/Enchantment+Raise Currency Value

When you have the Regular Longsword equipped and defeat Captain Concept with it, the gold value for the Regular Longsword could rise. "This is the sword that defeated Captain Concept". Not only that, it could gain some trait from Captain Concept (an enchantment or whatnot, stat boosts and so on). Potentially explainable that some of Cap' Concept soul latched onto the sword (what with cutting the mans flesh and bloodying the sword as well).

It could add a row in the description of the Regular Longsword, at the bottom of it "- Has slain Captain Concept = +1 X thing".

If you slay a strong soul or a character with a strong soul, perhaps even a sword could get "cursed" or we could even get the whole "Talking Sword" thing we discussed a long time ago.

The only real issue I can see with it is the Player and situations where: "I wanted to take him out with my Fighter's weapon but I accidentally took him out with my Ranger's weapon... gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!". This doesn't make the mechanic bad, in my opinion, it's merely an affirmation from the Player's side that they made a mistake.

Also, you bind souls and magic to the material "bronze" (IIRC), so in my speculative mind we might already see some Bronze Weapons that becomes stronger and better the more they slay.

I believe it could work fairly easily:

1. Regular Longsword equipped

2. Slaying Captain Concept

3. Add Description+Buff/Enchantment+Raise Currency Value

When you have the Regular Longsword equipped and defeat Captain Concept with it, the gold value for the Regular Longsword could rise. "This is the sword that defeated Captain Concept". Not only that, it could gain some trait from Captain Concept (an enchantment or whatnot, stat boosts and so on). Potentially explainable that some of Cap' Concept soul latched onto the sword (what with cutting the mans flesh and bloodying the sword as well).

It could add a row in the description of the Regular Longsword, at the bottom of it "- Has slain Captain Concept = +1 X thing".

If you slay a strong soul or a character with a strong soul, perhaps even a sword could get "cursed" or we could even get the whole "Talking Sword" thing we discussed a long time ago.

The only real issue I can see with it is the Player and situations where: "I wanted to take him out with my Fighter's weapon but I accidentally took him out with my Ranger's weapon... gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!". This doesn't make the mechanic bad, in my opinion, it's merely an affirmation from the Player's side that they made a mistake.

Also, you bind souls and magic to the material "bronze" (IIRC), so in my speculative mind we might already see some Bronze Weapons that becomes stronger and better the more they slay.

the idea itself is not bad, however i dont think that any weapon should be able to become more powerful. the fame of a weapon should come with the fame of the owner. if you are Osvir the master swordsman and dragon slayer, then your sword should be a famous dragon killing weapon, since it needs to be able to cut a dragon's hide.

however if you are Osvir the sniper, your bow will not be famous if you kill a dragon, because what you hit the dragon with are arrows and it's your skill at shooting them (not the bow's) that let's you win. if the wizard kills the dragon, will his grimoir become famous? a spell he may have invented for the fight may be, but not his items

so it is not as easy to implement in a fair way for all classes as you think

however, having a magical weapon that can absorb the souls of certain enemies of magical nature (just by being there when they die, it does not have to deliver the kiling blow), adding some of their traits to it's stats would be cool. however the weapon should be something you make with a normal weapon of your choice and some ancient artifact or something (to avoid forcing a specific type of weapon on the player)

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

weapon prestige

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

This sounds awfully cool. The only problem I could see with this is if only the slaying weapon/character gets the buff. For instance this would lead to a player blooding' the enemy, (Read - low hp.) Then withdrawing the rest of the party to ensure the character you wants to recieve the buff gets it. Would have to be applied over all the characters participating in the encounter to ensure that didn't happen.

Teknoman brings up a good point as well, about Grimores -bows - or even a martial artists fists. This is likely one of those things sounds cool on paper not so good in practice. I think this is an idea we won't be seeing implemented in a game - computer or otherwise any time soon. Unless a game's mechanics are based on that items themselves are the where the player recieves his powers/attacks/etc from. Just my two cents, interesting concept none the less. Good Mod idea for sure.

Edited by W.MacKinnon

weapon prestige

Weap-utation! 8)

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't allow your kind in here. Uh-uh-uhh... you there, longsword. You are most welcome to enter, :)."

Really, though, Osvir... it's a pretty good general idea. I couldn't tell you how to implement it in the best way into PoE, but, I very much enjoy the general concept. ^_^

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Splendid idea.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So much yes. I think I once brought up something along these lines in times of yore, or possibly I just brought up something tangentially related. Either way, I have... very lengthy opinions on how this might be handled. I'll spare you all the details unless anyone's actually interested, but suffice to say I heartily approve of the concept.

Teknoman brings up a good point as well, about Grimores -bows - or even a martial artists fists. This is likely one of those things sounds cool on paper not so good in practice. I think this is an idea we won't be seeing implemented in a game - computer or otherwise any time soon. Unless a game's mechanics are based on that items themselves are the where the player recieves his powers/attacks/etc from. Just my two cents, interesting concept none the less. Good Mod idea for sure.

I sell fist?

Yeah, I don't see that working with fists. I mean, your fists might get renown, but I don't see you selling them.

Items used for mighty deeds by mighty people get fame. Simple as that.

And it does work for bows too. Bows need to be strong and accurate.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

While the renown concept is interesting, it would be difficult to implement into gameplay.

However I specifically like the idea 'slaying a powerful soul and your weapon gets to absorb part of it'.

But I doubt we will see that as well.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I sell fist?

Yeah, I don't see that working with fists. I mean, your fists might get renown, but I don't see you selling them.

Items used for mighty deeds by mighty people get fame. Simple as that.

And it does work for bows too. Bows need to be strong and accurate.

Well... someone is making a fortune on hands!

Its a nice idea, especially if it were tied into damage levels versus boss monsters. Perhaps you might influence a bard into retelling the tale of the amazing victories earned, thereby multiplying the reputation? A reputable weapon could, say, allow you to earn special upgrades for that weapon that might not otherwise be available.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That is a terrific idea. I agree it's probably too late to implement, but expansion packs have to have something to expand.

What would happen if Captain Concept had a baby with Captain Obvious ... or is it impossible for two officers to fraternize.  

All Stop. On Screen.

I like the idea of your chosen weapon absorbing a portion of the soul of the defeated foe, but perhaps this could be a unique ability of the Watcher protagonist, a power that only he could use on the fleeting soul of a powerful monster. Imbuing his personal choice of weapon with an ability bound to that creature, fire for a Dragon, strength for a great Jotun etcetera.

Edit: Personally I think the Monks forearms being stained with the blood of the great foes he has slain sounds very interesting, maybe even catching fire during combat, or perhaps access to a new appropriate spell for the Mages.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!