What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

Ribeye steak and mash for lunch with Spanish red wine.

_Saved the fat_

Pasta with sauce made of tomato, garlic, anchovies, beef fat, two rashers of bacon (sliced) basil, fresh spinach, and scraps of mash to thicken. Dry white wine to cut across the heaviness. Just fantastic, to my palate at least . :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The missus and I went out to a place called Panzano for their happy hour 

They have these really delicious small plates and a good wine selection on the cheap

This is what we had (yes, all of it. They are really small plates)

2 orders of Crespelle ai Funghi - Hazel Dell mushroom stuffed crepe, fonduta sauce and white truffle oil 

Tartare di Tonno - Tuna tartare with lemon, capers, shallots, micro basil, and chili threads served with piadina crisps

Ragu di Cinghiale Farro - pappardelle tossed in wild boar Bolognese;topped with Grana Padano

Acero Agnello Costole - Lamb ribs in a fig maple glaze, goat cheese, walnuts
Pollo al Marsala - Chicken scallopini served over mushroom risotto in a marsala demi-glaze and topped with fried prosciutto
Gnocchi al Coniglio - Sautéed gnocchi with rabbit confit, leeks, shallots,mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and gorgonzola cheese
Capesante - Pan seared sea scallop with grilled asparagus and prosciutto risotto, over a basil leek nage topped with parsley
Budino de Caramelo - Butterscotch pudding topped with salted caramel and whipped sour cream, topped with a rosemary pinenut cookie
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

The missus and I went out to a place called Panzano for their happy hour 

They have these really delicious small plates and a good wine selection on the cheap

This is what we had (yes, all of it. They are really small plates)

2 orders of Crespelle ai Funghi - Hazel Dell mushroom stuffed crepe, fonduta sauce and white truffle oil 

Tartare di Tonno - Tuna tartare with lemon, capers, shallots, micro basil, and chili threads served with piadina crisps

Ragu di Cinghiale Farro - pappardelle tossed in wild boar Bolognese;topped with Grana Padano

Acero Agnello Costole - Lamb ribs in a fig maple glaze, goat cheese, walnuts
Pollo al Marsala - Chicken scallopini served over mushroom risotto in a marsala demi-glaze and topped with fried prosciutto
Gnocchi al Coniglio - Sautéed gnocchi with rabbit confit, leeks, shallots,mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and gorgonzola cheese
Capesante - Pan seared sea scallop with grilled asparagus and prosciutto risotto, over a basil leek nage topped with parsley
Budino de Caramelo - Butterscotch pudding topped with salted caramel and whipped sour cream, topped with a rosemary pinenut cookie

That sounds amazing, you have some really cool bars and restaurants in your area :)

I made myself gourmet toasted sandwiches last night, they had

• Stilton Cheese
  • Goats Milk Cheese
  • Steak with Worcestershire sauce
  • Avocado

The combination really worked, they were delicious :dancing:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There is a lot of good food around here, I was surprised when I moved

I think I mentioned it before but Williams and Graham is one of my favorite bars in the area. It's set up like a prohibition era speakeasy with the front as a small bookstore and one of the bookshelves is a secret door to bar behind it. I really like their New Old Fashioned

Last night I made some short ribs in the slow cooker and they came out very, very good. I wish I could remember what all I put in there but I was more than a bit tipsy when I started cooking and more than a little past that when I finished

• Like 1

Won't have the chance to try this,k but it's mark II of something I tried yesterday.

Good roasting chicken, stuffed two ripe oranges into the cavity (after removing entrails for gravy). Thyme, and Maldon sea-salt heavily seasoned. Plenty of oil. Tinfoil hat for the bird to keep in moisture. Cooked for about 2 hours.

Oranges came out firm, but cutable with a table knife.

I intend to try serving these oranges* as dessert, alongside a slab of soft goat's cheese, drizzled with two kinds of honey, _maybe_ warmed cinnamon. OR sweet dessert wine, and cracked black pepper.

*The next time I cook them. I ate them this time thin sliced, alongside the bird, where they counterpointed the liverish richness of the gravy extremely well.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Won't have the chance to try this,k but it's mark II of something I tried yesterday.

Good roasting chicken, stuffed two ripe oranges into the cavity (after removing entrails for gravy). Thyme, and Maldon sea-salt heavily seasoned. Plenty of oil. Tinfoil hat for the bird to keep in moisture. Cooked for about 2 hours.

I intend to try serving these oranges* as dessert, alongside a slab of soft goat's cheese, drizzled with two kinds of honey, _maybe_ warmed cinnamon. OR sweet dessert wine, and cracked black pepper.

*The next time I cook them. I ate them this time thin sliced, alongside the bird, where they counterpointed the liverish richness of the gravy extremely well.

Add some small red potatoes and onions around the chicken.  They will cook in the chicken grease and will brown nicely.  :)  So you end up with main course, two sides and desert all at once.  :)

• Like 2

Add some small red potatoes and onions around the chicken.  They will cook in the chicken grease and will brown nicely.  :)  So you end up with main course, two sides and desert all at once.  :)

That's clever, I like it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I prefer to keep potatoes separate.  They suck up fat and flavor that I want for my gravy.  I'd prefer to cook them in a separate dish in the oven, or make mashed potatoes on the stovetop, then serve them with the awesome gravy I've made from pan drippings. 

The onions can stay, because they contribute flavor to the gravy.  As do other aromatic vegetables (carrot, celery) left to roast in the pan under the bird.  Even if you use limp old veggies and toss them after cooking, you'll taste them in your gravy.  (I usually don't bother using a rack for a my chicken, and instead rest the bird directly on some carrots and celery ribs.  Racks are a pain to clean.) 

Apart from aromatic vegetables, the secret gravy ingredient is a good splash of white wine, preferably one with a prominent acidic quality.  The decendants of teetotaling Midwesterners will tell you to use milk as the liquid addition to pan juices for gravy construction.  Wine works so much better, it's not even funny. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I envy you kitchen magicians. Right now I'm mixing the pesto chicken pasta my buddy's wife made, in with a can of broccoli, cheese, and potato soup on the stove. I'm sure it's probably a civil culinary crime, but ...  

It probably is a crime but if it tastes good then doing the time will be worth it :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

I didn't mention the potatoes under the bird because I figured you chaps aren't idiots. Like Enoch I use them to keep the animal free of stewing in its own fat. Unlike Enoch I don't mind them soaking up fat. Note that I don't parboil them first.

-Elwood Blues

I didn't mention the potatoes under the bird because I figured you chaps aren't idiots. Like Enoch I use them to keep the animal free of stewing in its own fat. Unlike Enoch I don't mind them soaking up fat. Note that I don't parboil them first.

Walsie never underestimate our stupidity  :biggrin:

Always include all steps or cooking methods in your dishes so we get the full picture

John Milton 

Walsie never underestimate our stupidity  :biggrin:

Always include all steps or cooking methods in your dishes so we get the full picture

No. firstly because I'm lazy. Secondly because I'm especially too lazy to work out what you need explaining. Thirdly, it would deprive you of opportunity to exercise your imaginations. hence you can assume the use of moon-soil, giraffe's tongues, orbital lasers etc.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

spiced rum and dr pepper

I'm currently floating in vanilla heaven

That's beaver-butt heaven, I think you'll find.

-Elwood Blues

Tonight I'm having Chicken Pie with oven backed Chips, not fried Chips as baking is healthier  :)

John Milton 

Managed to avoid booze yesterday, so am now capable of planning Sunday lunch. Going to have large tray of roast veg, and sausages.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

This one caught my eye and I thought it might serve well for pork loin, too.

Seared Loin of Venison with Brandy Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

Meat

1 1/2 Lbs. Venison loin

Salt and pepper

Sauce

1 lb. Mushrooms of your choice cut into about 1 inch pieces

1 Shallot cut into small dice. You can substitute 1 tablespoon finely diced sweet onion

1/2 Cup brandy or cognac

3/4 Cup cream

1 Tablespoon dijon mustard

Salt and pepper

1/2 Teaspoon raw brandy or cognac

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Heat pan over medium high heat with 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil until just smoking

Liberally salt and pepper venison

Being careful not to burn, sear venison for about 30 seconds on all 4 sides

Place venison on an oven safe sheet or disposable pie plate and roast in oven for 8-10 minutes for medium rare

Sauce

Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the same pan the venison was seared in while still hot

Add mushrooms to pan while maintaining the medium high tempeature on the pan

Let mushrooms brown for about 3-4 minutes without touching pan - add Shallot

With wooden spoon stir mushrooms around and allow to cook for 2-3 additional minutes

Add brandy or cognac to a cup

Remove pan from heat

Keeping pan away from you add brandy or cognac and ignite

Place pan back on stove and cook till flames are out

Add cream and reduce by 3/4

Add dijon, salt and pepper

You can now add additional 1/2 teaspoon of optional raw brandy or cognac if you like

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

This one caught my eye and I thought it might serve well for pork loin, too.

Seared Loin of Venison with Brandy Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

Meat

1 1/2 Lbs. Venison loin

Salt and pepper

Sauce

1 lb. Mushrooms of your choice cut into about 1 inch pieces

1 Shallot cut into small dice. You can substitute 1 tablespoon finely diced sweet onion

1/2 Cup brandy or cognac

3/4 Cup cream

1 Tablespoon dijon mustard

Salt and pepper

1/2 Teaspoon raw brandy or cognac

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Heat pan over medium high heat with 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil until just smoking

Liberally salt and pepper venison

Being careful not to burn, sear venison for about 30 seconds on all 4 sides

Place venison on an oven safe sheet or disposable pie plate and roast in oven for 8-10 minutes for medium rare

Sauce

Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the same pan the venison was seared in while still hot

Add mushrooms to pan while maintaining the medium high tempeature on the pan

Let mushrooms brown for about 3-4 minutes without touching pan - add Shallot

With wooden spoon stir mushrooms around and allow to cook for 2-3 additional minutes

Add brandy or cognac to a cup

Remove pan from heat

Keeping pan away from you add brandy or cognac and ignite

Place pan back on stove and cook till flames are out

Add cream and reduce by 3/4

Add dijon, salt and pepper

You can now add additional 1/2 teaspoon of optional raw brandy or cognac if you like

I just printed this out. I am so going to try this the next time I have venison in the house. Which, hopefully, will be this weekend.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The missus bought some bacon that was labeled as Black Forest bacon and my god was it delicious

I was a little apprehensive about trying it at first because it's mostly black in color but the flavor was so great that I quickly got over the color and I'm assuming it was just from the smoking of the bacon anyway

This evening I will be mostly eating a cheese and onion sandwich.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I did make a lovely meal for some guests on Saturday. 

Pork tenderloin (lightly seasoned, browned, then roasted), with a simple balsamic sauce (1/2 cup each balsamic vinegar and chicken stock, plus 2 tbs of honey, reduced in the pan that I browned the pork in), scalloped potatoes with mushrooms and goat cheese (make a mushroom cream sauce, add soft goat cheese, stir until smooth, fold into thinly sliced potatoes, then bake, with extra cheese on top), and some steamed vegetables. 

Last night, I made a pot of jambalaya.  I plan to eat some more of that shortly. 

• Like 2

I set up some chicken gumbo in the crock pot this morning. it's been slow cooking all day. Everything in it except the chicken came from my garden. I really should get some chickens.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell