New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

The anchor harpoon didn't fire. Hope it doesn't float away!

got source? I read that it was anchored :( sad news it will make drilling much more complicated

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I just watched some replay stuff, and there he said that the harpoon did fire. What gives?

Some info:

Key Points

1.  Confirmation received of the first ever comet landing
  2.  Successful touchdown marks climax of 10 year, 6.4 billion km journey
  3.  Lander robot Philae was released at 08:35 GMT and took seven hours to reach comet 67P
  4.  Pictures have been received of the descent in progress - more should soon arrive from the comet surface

Latest tweet:

@esaoperations

Posted at

16:50

tweets: It looks like @Philae2014 made a fairly gentle touch down on #67P based on amount of landing gear damping #CometLanding

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

got source? I read that it was anchored :( sad news it will make drilling much more complicated

Sorry, no. I was watching the feed in Meshugger's link and it was reported live. They also stated some tank didn't open that was supposed to.

Sorry, no. I was watching the feed in Meshugger's link and it was reported live. They also stated some tank didn't open that was supposed to.

crap already reading about it, hopefully they will manage to refire it

More analysis of@Philae2014telemetry indicates harpoons did not fire as 1st thought. Lander in gr8 shape. Team looking at refire options

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Gfted1 is correct:

Joel Parker, astronomer and Nasa scientist

@joelwmparker

Posted at

16:51

tweets: Philae sank about 4cm... but the harpoons didn't fire and the thruster problem was real and so it also didn't fire? Yow, the drama continues! #CometLanding

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

BTW thruster should be ok, it was probably malfuncting sensor

Mark Bentley, planetary scientist involved in the mission

@msbentley

Posted at

16:59

tweets: Deciding whether to re-fire the harpoons is tricky - without the hold-down thruster, presumably @Philae2014 could recoil? #CometLanding

• Decisions to be made

Posted at

16:58

The Esa Operations team confirms that the harpoons designed to attach Philae to the comet did not fire.

But they say the lander is in great shape, and the team is "looking at refire options".

How cool is this? THE SOUND OF A COMET!!!

Comet noise goes viral

Posted at

17:01

Our colleagues at #BBCtrending write:

The sound coming from comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko has caught the imagination of hundreds of thousands on social media.

The scientists are just as surprised as social media users.

"This is exciting because it is completely new to us. We did not expect this and we are still working to understand the physics of what is happening," Karl-Heinz Glaßmeier, head of Space Physics and Space Sensorics at the Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany, explained on the ESA Rosetta blog.

EDIT: It sounds like the Predator!

http://www.cnet.com/news/rosettas-comet-is-singing-and-it-sounds-totally-bizarre/

Oscillations in the magnetic field around comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko produce a song that is inaudible to humans. Listen to a version of the song at a higher frequency.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

Size of comet 67p relative to LA

Stuff like that is probably giving those Homeland Security guys nightmares... (time to call Bruce Willis!) laughing.gif

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I am looking forward to laser weapons, they seemed more civilian friendly than missiles

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I am looking forward to laser weapons, they seemed more civilian friendly than missiles

The problem is laser based weapon systems have very limited use on the battlefield, as weapon. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Getting close to solve one of the great mysteries of the universe?

Why you can't tickle yourself

"Since Blakemore’s ground-breaking studies, many others have tried to find ways to find ways to trick the brain into tickling itself. Controlling someone’s foot movements with magnetic brain stimulation, so that their hand tickled their foot against their will, seems to do the trick. But it is one of the few experiments to succeed – others have produced puzzling results."

Forcing people to tickle themselves... talk about cruel and unusual punishment ;)

Also covers some possible implications for Artificial Intelligence research.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein