Hurlshot's Summer RV Trip 2013 Edition

Hurlshort

Pics or it didn't happen :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

... Wait, the girl in jeans was that strawberry from a halloween?

O.o

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My grandparents liked to frighten me with things like giant (to a 4 year old), battery operated walking dolls that walked upright while making horrible whiny mechanical noises, waving their arms up and down moving their head like in the Exorcist. I'm still scarred from that, scarred I tell you.

:biggrin:

The thought of a giant mechanic doll ,intended to be cute, terrifying the grandkids makes me laugh

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Day 8 - Posting this a day late, as we were in an area with no internet.  We spent the night at an animal sanctuary, then took a tour in the morning.

wcch.jpg

It was a very interesting place.  They could really use a decent business manager, as most of the people working there are better at communicating with animals than humans.  It was difficult to have the RV there as most places were not accessible for us, and they had no transportation available.  Still, the animals are well taken care of and it was fun seeing the cats and dogs.

ntnb.jpg

Afterwards we went to the Moqui Cave down the road, and it was very cool.  It was built as a bar and dance hall, and the tours are run by the son of the people who built it.  

7xzl.jpg

It even had a real man cave!

upjm.jpg

It was a busy day and we hiked back up to the cave again.  We slept in, I'll post an update on Day 9 later tonight.

• Like 2

The very top of that  cave pic, where the cliff face has stripes, fascinates me. I assume it's where the reddish top layer has been worn away, but I wonder what caused the stripes. Rainwater? Seems an odd pattern for that, based on angle, but that's my guess.

Does the cave go very far into the cliff?

Edit: also ... cats! Just sayin'. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They don't got very far back, but there are a bunch of cubbyholes.  I hiked up to one higher up and it had two branching rooms.  We also went by one with a firepit.

qsm1.jpg

qxiq.jpg

I got a good picture of my wife and daughter from above.

z1t2.jpg

Day 9 - We made a short drive to Bryce Canyon, settled in and did some laundry.  Later we went shopping at a gem store, and they had piles of Obsidian!

g3b0.jpg

i0ie.jpg

Then we went to a dinner show, where they sang and danced while we ate piles of meat.  The kids chowed down and now we are back in the RV and they've passed out.  

o44y.jpg

• Like 1

Day 10 - We went to Bryce Canyon and took a hike around the rim, it was about 2 miles when all was said and done. Logan was super difficult the whole time, arguing with a 3 year old is never easy.  He wanted to be carried, but he wouldn't ride on my shoulders.  Here he is looking grumpy surrounded by beauty.

e2jk.jpg

My wife and daughter went ahead, and I could see them pretty well from various parts of the rim.

wlb1.jpg

We are back resting at the RV.  I don't think we will hike much tomorrow, maybe just check on the visitor's center.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

I think the staff of Obsidian should all visit that gem store and take a snapshot of them standing in that yard, holding a chunk of obsidian.

Some truly lovely sights you and your family are getting to see.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think the staff of Obsidian should all visit that gem store and take a snapshot of them standing in that yard, holding a chunk of obsidian.

Some truly lovely sights you and your family are getting to see.

Was thinking the same thing when reading it... "piles of Obsidian" :lol:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Day 11 - We took it easy today.  We are all dried out from the desert sand and sun, my daughter's legs are a red mess.  So we are just putting on some aloe and relaxing at our campsite.  I ended up playing a few hours of Skyrim, which was actually pretty fun.  I guess I just need to be in another state to enjoy that game.

We headed back to the rock shop after dinner and Skylar picked out a geode for them to cut in half.  It looks pretty neat inside.

pysl.jpg

If they had any humour, they should post a pic of them all lying in a big pile with Feargus sitting on top. PILES OF OBSIDIAN

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If they had any humour, they should post a pic of them all lying in a big pile with Feargus sitting on top. PILES OF OBSIDIAN

He'd certainly get some, sitting on that.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Day 12 - Today is our last day in Bryce, so we took a wagon ride out to the northern rim.  It was very nice, we were the only people on the ride.

ig0u.jpg

We got to see a lot of cows.

9jlx.jpg

When we got to the rim it was an amazing view.

2d9r.jpg

We went to a little museum in the park afterwards, and now we are relaxing back at the RV.  Tomorrow we start driving home, but we won't get there until Friday so there may be a few more updates.

You've taken some good photos, nice one :)

I have had my own vicarious trip around the USA through your updates.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Day 13 - We drove through Utah and into Nevada.  It was pretty empty, at one point we drove for about an hour without seeing another vehicle.  Now we are in the town of Ely.  Tomorrow we have a long drive to Placerville, which is back in California.  I'm going to try and wake up early and just start driving while everyone is asleep.

These mountains were laying down on the job.

bu75.jpg

This is pretty much what we drove through for about 4 hours. 

I love all that open country out west!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Day 13 - We drove through Utah and into Nevada.  It was pretty empty, at one point we drove for about an hour without seeing another vehicle.  Now we are in the town of Ely.  Tomorrow we have a long drive to Placerville, which is back in California.  I'm going to try and wake up early and just start driving while everyone is asleep.

These mountains were laying down on the job.

bu75.jpg

This is pretty much what we drove through for about 4 hours. 

That picture reminds me of Tremors.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

That picture reminds me of Tremors.

:lol:

I like watching open land and mountains. Must have something to do with being born and raised in Denmark.