Fear of women body in modern videogames

But that's the thing, Dragon Crown is an extreme example of how women look in games. I don't see it as the norm

There are many different female characters in video games and even in Dragon Crown they all look different, The sorceress is not a norm is an extreme, and she doesn't represent all women anymore than Super Mario represents all men, they are cartoony characters, not an example of how looks or should look like in real life. I find her to be over the top but I also think that people reactions to that game is even more over the top, that's why I defend them.

Edited by Chaz

But that's the thing, Dragon Crown is an extreme example of how women look in games. I don't see it as the norm

There are many different female characters in video games and even in Dragon Crown they all look different, The sorceress is not a norm is an extreme, and she doesn't represent all women anymore than Super Mario represents all men, they are cartoony characters, not an example of how looks or should look like in real life. I find her to be over the top but I also think that people reactions to that game is even more over the top, that's why I defend them.

Okay I see what you are saying, you are defending the principle?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm sorry, what's the original poster's point? Women are not objectified enough in video games? I find the trend towards treating women like human beings better than implementing them as giant floating boobs with some dialogue thrown in as an afterthought. 

Not to mention:

gpFAJN2.jpg

How come female game characters' bodies have to be realistic, yet a lot of the male characters look like He-Man?  Guys have body image issues as well, you know!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm sorry, what's the original poster's point? Women are not objectified enough in video games? I find the trend towards treating women like human beings better than implementing them as giant floating boobs with some dialogue thrown in as an afterthought. 

Not to mention:

gpFAJN2.jpg

Hello There...    (and don't give me that objectification crap, what are you going to talk about next? the patriarchy?)

87992-050-9606422F.jpg

NOT QUESTIONING HIS CHOICE OF ATTIRE AT ALL!

Edited by Chaz

Not that I'm a fan of Dragon's Crown distorted spines and contortionist poses (it's pretty obviously an intentional artistic choice, but it's still not to my taste), but looking at the whole gallery of characters and going from interviews with the art director, it's pretty obvious that classic fantasy art from Frazetta and Larry Elmore was exaggerated to an extreme degree, with every single man being buff to the point of making Arnie look wimpy and every woman sexualized and in a skimpy outfit (the Sorceress is an extreme example anyway, the Amazon and the Elf aren't as obviously meant to be titillating).*

Anyway, good news for the OP: Dragon's Crown and games with sexualized women are definitely not disappearing! There's really a lot of them if you take a look around you! In fact, the reason some people protest, is that character design choices of this kind have become so commonplace that it's difficult to find games where women characters don't have the sole or secondary purpose of titillating male players! And that's a problem, sorry. Because it puts off a significant part of potential players, because it reduces the amount of options the developers have in terms of both art and character development **, and because it's a sign of an immature industry.

* Yeah, those are arguably stereotypical traits in terms of gender, but if you look at Frazetta's art (which is amazing!) it's easy to see where they originate from.

** I still hear too many stories about publishers or devs in lead positions that ask to sex up character designs. Some of them are most likely going to be false, but there's a bit too much smoke for my tastes.

• Like 1

Fear of women body in modern videogames

Wiat ......wut?

Do we live on the same planet?

Since when has "oh my god, there is one game that doesn't have EPIC BEEWBAGE! GAME FEAR THE WOMAN BODY!!!" become anything but a source for redicule?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Welcome to the internet, where men that feel threatened by feminism and band together dwell.

Welcome to the internet, where video games are considered a tool of the patriarchy to oppress women

Edited by Chaz

Welcome to the internet, where men that feel threatened by feminism and band together dwell.

Welcome to the internet, where video games are considered a tool of the patriarchy to oppress women

LOL. Someone's just had one of his nerves touched.

Ok? :wacko:

Did you just basically said "UMAD?"

Edited by Chaz

Seems it's just social justice warriors these days. Maybe we should make a petition to stop this trend of boobs in games?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did you just basically said "UMAD?"

More or less? Not only you accused me of making an argument I never made, but it's clear from how you structured that response that you don't understand what feminist critics mean by using patriarchy. Hint: they don't think there's actually a man's club conspiracy to put them back in the kitchen!

• Like 1

Depends on which one you ask and how crazy they are. That's labels for you, I suppose.

I forget though, why does this matter again ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Depends on which one you ask and how crazy they are. That's labels for you, I suppose.

I forget though, why does this matter again ?

It matters because many of us are opposed to the objectification of women in games, but I'm not sure if all the comments in this thread are related to that  :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It matters because many of us are opposed to the objectification of women in games, but I'm not sure if all the comments in this thread are related to that  :unsure:

I see. Can't fault oby's content generation skills if he prompted this much.

• Like 1

Of course, while little girls are getting acid thrown in their face in the middle east, just because they want to attend school, the typical western feminists is much more concerned with breasts size in video games or comic books. You're not fooling anyone, this is not helping women and this is not helping the gaming industry either. This is only a matter of some people stroking their ego by attacking anyone who doesn't share their prudishness.

btw, liking attractive females =/= objectification

Edited by Chaz

I see. Can't fault oby's content generation skills if he prompted this much.

Never underestimate how much discussion an important topic can generate, irrespective of who makes the original post :)

John Milton 

Of course, while little girls are getting acid thrown in their face in the middle east, just because they want to attend school, the typical western feminists is much more concerned with breasts size in video games or comic books. You're not fooling anyone, this is not helping women and this is not helping the gaming industry either. This is only a matter of some people stroking their ego by attacking anyone who doesn't share their prudishness.

Meanwhile, by defending the right of big breasted women in video games you sure are doing wonders to help middle eastern girls! If that's *really* your problem and not just a poor attempt to divert a discussion, why don't I see you opening threads on the patriarchal societies in certain middle east countries?

• Like 3

Well for the record I am opposed to abuse of any women throughout the world. But in many countries where women's rights are marginalized there is very little we can do as we don't control the culture or laws in those countries. But we can object to how Western gaming  development companies  portray women if we feel its offensive. We can use forums and have discussions that raise awareness. As someone who travels to the Middle East for work I firmly believe we can have more impact on changing gaming companies  than some of the cultures in some parts of the world.

• Like 1

John Milton 

Never underestimate how much discussion an important topic can generate, irrespective of who makes the original post :)

Not really seeing this as 'important', really, it's about video game sprites having large breasts. Although the discussion at this point will just entail people preaching at one another :lol:

Well done oby, this troll thread has managed to go on for 13 pages and there is still heated discussion.  I haven't been here long enough to know if this is a record for one of your threads, but it's an impressive achievement either way. 

/pats oby on the back

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks