Windows 8.1

Bokishi

For a desktop or lappy I've still not seen a single compelling reason to switch from Windows 7 (In fact my lappy came with 8 and I switched to 7 :p).  Windows 8 is designed for tablets and other touchscreen devices, bringing back the start button doesn't change that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Complete fail on their part. Not including the damn thing in the first place is just poor requirements capture (see my sig).

But refusing to back down tells me that the senior strategic leadership at Microsoft just can't admit mistakes.

And that's a massive ****ing warning indicator. If I were an investor I'd be seriously rattled. A business that is lead by people who won't admit mistakes is one that is _inevitably_ bound to fail.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, I don't like many, many developments that are currently happening at MSFT. I'm quite surprised how many online publications rejoice about some "return of the start button", when it really isn't that - see Humanoid's post.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

It kind of misses the point - they've brought back the start *button* but not the start menu.

That's what hubby said when I mentioned this ... and I went "...oh. never mind then." :lol:

I have no objection to MS wanting to capitalize/create stuff for a certain type of burgeoning market, but their mistake, imo, is assuming everyone on a computer wants to be forced to be part of that market all the time, taking away options. It's a mistake a lot of companies make over time, I think. Sometimes it works (financially/company wise), sometimes it doesn't. I don't have much confidence in the leaders at MS these days.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The office I work in recently bought several new desktops that came with Windows 8.

It hasn't been fun.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I morphed my Windows 8 Pro to a desktop counterpiece it has been going straight to that mode.. That's about 8 months ago, maybe less.  Sometimes I get a little too close to the edge of my screen and I feel lost again, but it's only a momentarily lapse of judgement, which seems to be happening more often lately.. Like posting this.  

It's so easy to turn Windows 8 from a Tablet-PC into a desktop version, even though it took me some time to realize the how's which I accredit to my age, bad habits, prolonged exposure to pheromones and a bit of Alpha Protocol, that it really puzzles me why that choice wasn't offered from the beginning.

A simple choice at the beginning of use would have been so easy to do. 

Configuring Windows for Personal use:

[1] Tablet PC

[2] Desktop PC

Would have saved me from that horrible learning experience that gave me flashbacks to chemistry in high school.. Not really, but close, or it could have happened, in some crazy dream I never had, yet.. 7-9.. uh, period.

(Signatures: disabled) 

If you guys are so concerned about Classic Menu, get classic shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) and your start menu is back. Your old windows desktop is back. The app itself is free, easy to install, and have no ads.

...and don't complain you have to use third party apps to enhance performance. I have to do this in Linux all the time to make my computer work right (or mac since they don't have window snap) and besides, it's just a single app to install and then your windows work exactly like windows 7, of course with better performance :)

I myself find start menu obsolete with window search, just tap the window button and type the name of the app I want, then press Enter. Beats long list of apps (which I can still access) anytime. Give me reasons why classic start menu is superior, I can shoot them easily.

Edited by exodiark
  • Like 1

Does anyone but MSFT fans trust them anymore? Every product they've made after Windows 7 was a failure (W8, WP7/8, XBone. Surface Pro is an expensive exception), they keep forcing things on people, they seem to be obsessed with becoming the second Apple and sucking private and statistical data on their users.

I'm not getting anything from them until Ballmer and his people are kicked out.

Complete fail on their part. Not including the damn thing in the first place is just poor requirements capture (see my sig).

But refusing to back down tells me that the senior strategic leadership at Microsoft just can't admit mistakes.

And that's a massive ****ing warning indicator. If I were an investor I'd be seriously rattled. A business that is lead by people who won't admit mistakes is one that is _inevitably_ bound to fail.

This combined with their attempt to force SaaS on the common consumer through both the XBone and their current Office offerings is a pretty bad sign. Especially since there is no real benefit to said consumer. On a corporate basis SaaS is useful but except for the support issue none of the other benefits transfer over and the average person just doesn't need lots of tech support.

...and don't complain you have to use third party apps to enhance performance. I have to do this in Linux all the time to make my computer work right (or mac since they don't have window snap) and besides, it's just a single app to install and then your windows work exactly like windows 7, of course with better performance :)

The difference is that Linux is FREE. Windows is not. Nor is it legacy software. So having to **** around to get basic functionality back(As the W8 interface sucks donkey shlong without a touchscreen interface) for a piece of software costing over $100 is blatantly unacceptable

Edited by ravenshrike
  • Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I wonder who of you guys have actually spent much time with W8?

I hear a lot of complaining but it's really not a problem at all once you get used to it.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I hear a lot of complaining but it's really not a problem at all once you get used to it.

And what's the added value except being slightly more effective with SSDs and memory?

This combined with their attempt to force SaaS on the common consumer through both the XBone and their current Office offerings is a pretty bad sign. Especially since there is no real benefit to said consumer. On a corporate basis SaaS is useful but except for the support issue none of the other benefits transfer over and the average person just doesn't need lots of tech support.

The difference is that Linux is FREE. Windows is not. Nor is it legacy software. So having to **** around to get basic functionality back(As the W8 interface sucks donkey shlong without a touchscreen interface) for a piece of software costing over $100 is blatantly unacceptable

Did you see the word "Mac" there? Also Linux is gratis in money only, the time needed to configure and support it can be very, VERY expensive.

You can buy $100 OS and just add one third party app to make it right, or you don't spend any money but spend hours just to figure out how to make Linux bootable in Secure Boot PCs, only to find that you have to deal with Nouveau graphic driver being slow without wifi connection, since they don't support your wifi adapter :).

And the functionality of Start Menu is still there, only in new skin. Start menu is obsolete anyway, you can do anything Start Menu can do with Windows Search (which power-user already do since Windows Vista).

Edited by exodiark

Why not Windows 3.3?

(Apparently there was a Windows 3.2 for the Chinese market that I'd never heard of before)

Then I'd probably have to worry about conventional memory again. :biggrin:

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The next MS O/S will be ... Windows:One! ... not to be confused with Windows 1.0.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And what's the added value except being slightly more effective with SSDs and memory?

I'd like to hear the answer to this question as well.

Upgrading carries a lot of potential driver and compatibility related issues that haven't yet been exposed through regular use. Certain costs are incurred as well.

A new above average configuration today runs programs and games at top speeds (my 6 year old machine is pretty fast, I can only imagine what a newer PC with a better CPU and SSD is like) on the generally stable Windows 7.

Why would anyone need/want Windows 8 in the foreseeable future?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm trying to download the preview for the second time now - Even though it has now been officially released (not just the preview) for a couple days now; just not to the general public.

MS without Gates are just a bunch of fu&^#ards. Same evil, just really, really, really stupid on top of it, and kinda dominating the evil part. MS is now Otis.

Otis.jpg

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

This stupid thing is demanding a MS account. I don't know what hers is, and it wont let me skip it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: /5

EDIT: Got past that by going back and forth a lot that the machine got confused an couldn't get ahold of MS to create an account and just let me by.

I've been blaming Norton for some of the problems since it monitors the computer and shut crap down when it thought I was using too much memory. A fudging i7 processor with 8GB ram, and running one program is too much for it. I uninstalled it and go to install Avast. MS blocks avast on me saying there's compatibily issues, but a patch is available. Meanwhile it shuts down Avast, and I have to find it now. This is a new f'n verson of Avast, and should need a patch right away.

You are my operating system. YOU ARE NOT MY ****^%$#^%$#^$ BABYSITTER! GO AWAY!

This block was probably sponsored by Norton.

Edited by Gorth
Language
  • Like 1

This 8.1 crap isn't any better.

I've never had a real problem with XP Pro. I wish they would give it the new DirectX's; I'd use it forever.

Windows Vista was annoying, because I thought its sole purpose was to make you buy new programs because it just made most of your old ones incompatable with it.

I don't care for Windows 7, because it seems to like scattered fancy boxes over nice, neat and organized menubars and toolbars. At least I can use it.

I hope people lose their jobs and become crack addicts. That's how much I now hate Windows 8. I wish many bad things on anyone being responsible for putting Windows 8 on anything besides a tablet or smart phone. No one will ever be ready for a complete steaming pile of crap for an operating system. It's not us, it's you.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You can make a crap game. No one will buy it and it doesn't matter.

You can make a crap console. There are others available.

My mom needed a new laptop for school. There wasn't one with Windows 7 available where she looked, or where she ended up getting it.