Request: country brief - Estonia

Walsingham

@obyknven - I approved the above post w/an edit, but do you think maybe we could focus a little less on political/bashing articles/vids in a thread where the OP (Walsh) just wanted some basic thoughts re: maybe living somewhere for a few years? This isn't really the thread for such debate, I think.

My point is simple. When you visit some country as tourist, or expat - you pay money to them, funding them. In other word you support all things what happened in this place.

My point is simple. When you visit some country as tourist, or expat - you pay money to them, funding them. In other word you support all things what happened in this place.

... but it's also true that sometimes, one should/may need to visit or live in a place before making their full judgements/decisions about a place as a whole. If one wants to experience/learn more of the world 1st hand, at least. Not to mention, sometimes if one did want to try to change things, you can't always do it while standing outside.

Anyway ... I have no advice for Walsh myself, since I haven't been there. I would have liked to see some more places, when I was a lot younger, but at this point it's not likely in the cards until I'm much older. Isn't that the way it works sometimes...

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I must say I do second some of Oby's criticisms in this case. Do steer clear of sex tourists/prostitutes and the Russian Mafia in Estonia and you should have a pleasant stay, though.

In those regards, Estonia isn't half as bad as Kaliningrad, though. :/

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Since Oby seems to try to change the subject of every thread that he posts in, i suggest that his tag should be changed to "Master goal post shifter" or something similar.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I must say I do second some of Oby's criticisms in this case. Do steer clear of sex tourists/prostitutes and the Russian Mafia in Estonia and you should have a pleasant stay, though.

In those regards, Estonia isn't half as bad as Kaliningrad, though. :/

But to be honest thats advice thats given to any tourist who travels to a foreign country, so no credit to Oby for stating the obvious :)

Also I may not know not Walsie personally but somehow I think he is savvy enough to not walk into questionable bars and start hanging with suspect looking tattooed covered Estonian Mafia strongmen :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Also I may not know not Walsie personally but somehow I think he is savvy enough to not walk into questionable bars and start hanging with suspect looking tattooed covered Estonian Mafia strongmen :grin:

Those who have known him for a while wouldn't place bets :grin:
  • Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't know if there is a condition where one obsessively generalises about countries, if there is Oby is patient zero. I don't think I have ever seen a post of his not related in some way.

Isn't it called Trolling?

But I know what you mean, I genuinely think he does believe what he posts

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know if there is a condition where one obsessively generalises about countries, if there is Oby is patient zero. I don't think I have ever seen a post of his not related in some way.

Sufficiently advanced trolling is indistinguishable...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sufficiently advanced trolling is indistinguishable...

Perhaps, but would someone really spend all that time posting links just in the interests on Trolling?

John Milton 

Before him we had Lord of Flies (I almost miss him), who was more of an extreme marxist leftwinger. When he stopped, Oby came along.. So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that it's trollig for the art of it. Just take it as entertainment. It livens up the place a bit ;)

Some people watch bad soap opera for hours on end to feel entertained, some pretend to be ultra nationalist Russians.

--

In regards to the topic, I've never been to Estonia, but I've been to it's neighbour countries and they were certainly pleasant enough. They are remind me of the more shady parts of a big western city, a lot of character, a lot of life, looks a little rough, but is all charm if you know how to behave.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

--

In regards to the topic, I've never been to Estonia, but I've been to it's neighbour countries and they were certainly pleasant enough. They are remind me of the more shady parts of a big western city, a lot of character, a lot of life, looks a little rough, but is all charm if you know how to behave.

I like that description "a lot of character, a lot of life, looks a little rough, but is all charm if you know how to behave" :)

John Milton 

Before him we had Lord of Flies (I almost miss him), who was more of an extreme marxist leftwinger. When he stopped, Oby came along.. So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that it's trollig for the art of it.

Views-Clark-Kent-Shirt-Rip.jpg

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Before him we had Lord of Flies (I almost miss him), who was more of an extreme marxist leftwinger. When he stopped, Oby came along.. So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that it's trollig for the art of it. Just take it as entertainment. It livens up the place a bit ;)

Some people watch bad soap opera for hours on end to feel entertained, some pretend to be ultra nationalist Russians

I think I've seen Lord of Flies post a few things recently, although he isn't as prolific as his super-Russian alt.

Is Flewllian( or whatever the super-Christian called himself) still around? Seeing him post in the scientific threads was damn funny.

Since Oby seems to try to change the subject of every thread that he posts in, i suggest that his tag should be changed to "Master goal post shifter" or something similar.

"Minister of Russian Fantasies"?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

@obyknven - do you think maybe we could focus a little less on political/bashing articles/vids in a thread where the OP (Walsh) just wanted some basic thoughts re: maybe living somewhere for a few years? This isn't really the thread for such debate, I think.

Hm, not really that irrelevant if he's planning to be there for years. That and you all are pretty easy to troll too :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@obyknven - do you think maybe we could focus a little less on political/bashing articles/vids in a thread where the OP (Walsh) just wanted some basic thoughts re: maybe living somewhere for a few years? This isn't really the thread for such debate, I think.

Hm, not really that irrelevant if he's planning to be there for years. That and you all are pretty easy to troll too :lol:

Well I still don't think Oby is Trolling, I think he believes what he posts. He knows its controversial but he doesn't care, thats not the same thing as Trolling

John Milton 

Since when did being a noisy waste of space qualify as art?

reedlereedlereedlereedlereedlereedlereedlereedlereedlereedle

reedlereedlereedlereedlereedle

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well I still don't think Oby is Trolling, I think he believes what he posts. He knows its controversial but he doesn't care, thats not the same thing as Trolling

That doesn't really change what I said. See above, for example. *shrug*

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That doesn't really change what I said. See above, for example. *shrug*

Okay allow me to qualify what I mean, for me a Troll is someone who makes posts to get an emotional response from people. He doesn't care if what he says is true or not and its irrelevant if he believes what he says. For me Oby is not a Troll by that definition, I find him annoying as he is repetitive and very seldom discusses what he says. But he is not a Troll, anyway thats just my view :)

John Milton 

Gentlemen! I'd like to us to forget our differences and come together over this as one community.

Can we just agree that obyknven's posts are annoying and mental?

-Elwood Blues

... I'd still like some good hints and tips on Estonia if anyone's interested.

Where do Estonians see their country being in five years? Ten?

Obviously this just made me ask the same about Britain. To which the answer is that I imagine 90% of Britons will be in reality TV shows about 'heritage' or 'quaint' activities.

-Elwood Blues

Gentlemen! I'd like to us to forget our differences and come together over this as one community.

Can we just agree that obyknven's posts are annoying and mental?

Okay, I hear you :)

John Milton