Demographics of these forums.

BruceVC

Anybody familiar with Smurfs?

99 Smurfs and 1 Smurfette. Talk about unbalanced demographics.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i was hoping this thread was gonna be like

male

single

partially employed cake decorator

instead its more like "blah blah women blah blah men blah blah"

so im outta here!

I believe this is the thread you want - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/135-location-no-age-or-sex-required-yet/ - albeit a decade out of date, apparently. 

Time for a new one?

>Wow, a lot of names there that aren't around an

ymore.

Thats is interesting. I only found Majek, Mkreku and Volourn who actively post nowadays

Oi!

Thats is interesting. I only found Majek, Mkreku and Volourn who actively post nowadays

Then you only read the first few pages; Meshugger, Purkake, Morgothm GhostOfAnakin, Samm (somtimes), Pidesco, Monte Carlo, Enoch. You get the picture. :)

But that's like from the first week, some of us took a few months to arrive (can't belive it's been 9! years.. crazy)

Now for old school demographic fun.. There's always the Dating Thread.

You guys are right, I did only read the first few pages. I apologize, I also see Gorgon is an old member

I chuckled when I read Monte's controversial and borderline insulting comments about not feeling European. I see somethings don't change :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Anybody familiar with Smurfs?

99 Smurfs and 1 Smurfette. Talk about unbalanced demographics.

"Gorthfucious" :biggrin: , you crack me up

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

;)

I know it was a bit tangential, but it was sprang to mind when thinking of the forum "regulars". Not sure about the Project Eternity section, but the old community sections here seems mostly populated by males (Hi LC). They all seem to have developed idiosynchrasies over time too. Not sure if they are really all blue faced though.

Do we really need to strive for a 50/50 composition?

I would like to think we are not so much discouraging "the other half", as much as maybe the appeal to the male population is just stronger for historical and/or sociosomthing reasons. Besides, nothing is ever permanent. Ever.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

;)

I know it was a bit tangential, but it was sprang to mind when thinking of the forum "regulars". Not sure about the Project Eternity section, but the old community sections here seems mostly populated by males (Hi LC). They all seem to have developed idiosynchrasies over time too. Not sure if they are really all blue faced though.

I would like to think we are not so much discouraging "the other half", as much as maybe the appeal to the male population is just stronger for historical and/or sociosomthing reasons. Besides, nothing is ever permanent. Ever.

You raise some good points, for me in an ideal world I would want any forum to represent the accurate demographics of gamers. So yes 50/50 would be great but there are several legitimate reasons why we don't see that on these forums and others. Thats fine and I think we all understand the reasons. I am much more concerned with the  general level of sexism that exists throughout the Internet and that is something I will always make a point of making a stand against when I see it. Also just to be clear these forums don't have a culture of sexism as has been raised by our female members. But my post was never actually about these forums specifically but it was really more of  a general question to get some understanding of the issue

John Milton 

No, even as a guy, I completely understand the desire for women to hide that they are such on gaming sites/ while playing games. As a guy with a high voice, virtually everyone assumes that I am a woman, so I get discriminated against and sexually harassed even though I am a twenty-something straight male. It's depressing every time I get called a fat **** who has "my boyfriend" playing for me, to the point that I will not use xbox live chat or anything else that allows anyone to hear me. It's sad, but true. And if those attitudes exist over voice chat and in games, I can't believe that it would magically change because we switched to a forum with text. If I were a woman, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it on a gaming forum.

Wow, that sucks. Interesting to see it from that perspective. An interesting experiment would be to go play some online games with an obviously female monniker to see how much more abuse you get.

;)

I don't really think we should strive for any composition. I think that we should approach all forums members equally, regardless of gender, though. You should not be defined primarily by your gender but through your personality and opinions.

Although we don't see a lot of that here, it is important that we show that behaviour such as "get back in the kitchen" jokes are no more OK than "get back into the ghetto" jokes towards Jewish members of the board, for example.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Rostere I've loved your posts to bits for years, but is a bit of bone-headed sexism (get back into the kitchen) *really* as bad as a reference to ethnic cleansing and / or genocide (get back into the ghetto)? Really?

This is the problem with political correctness: it is too proscriptive and has a tendency to become dogmatic. It also tends to ignore context (I was once told to 'consider my audience' when choosing what language to use, and of course this is true).

If this board becomes a po-faced, sanctimonious haven of thought police then that would be a shame. And after all, we've tolerated haters like Oby and LoF for years, haven't we?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Rostere I've loved your posts to bits for years, but is a bit of bone-headed sexism (get back into the kitchen) *really* as bad as a reference to ethnic cleansing and / or genocide (get back into the ghetto)? Really?

This is the problem with political correctness: it is too proscriptive and has a tendency to become dogmatic. It also tends to ignore context (I was once told to 'consider my audience' when choosing what language to use, and of course this is true).

If this board becomes a po-faced, sanctimonious haven of thought police then that would be a shame. And after all, we've tolerated haters like Oby and LoF for years, haven't we?

Yes I do see it in the same light, sexism is a form of discrimination and so is anti-semitism

No one is going stop you making crass or insensitive jokes about women but just be prepared for people to object to it. There are thousands of things we can joke about so why would you not joke about something that isn't offensive to women, is that such an issue? I fail to see how this is becoming sanctimonious, its not like I expect peoples behavior or the current rules of these forums to change. All I'm asking is for people to be aware of the current prevalence of sexism on the Internet and to object to it if you encounter it.

And for the record I have several times disagreed with Oby's posts. But he also is a difficult person to understand, his motives aren't clear to me.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Well good luck running your re-education camp. Because this is crazy.

Yes I do see it in the same light, sexism is a form of discrimination and so is anti-semitism

I can explain why your logic is flawed for you, but I can't understand it for you.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Maybe we should make forum sigs!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well good luck running your re-education camp. Because this is crazy.

I can explain why your logic is flawed for you, but I can't understand it for you.

No please explain to me why these both aren't forms of discrimination,  I'll try to understand it.

John Milton 

I don't really think we should strive for any composition.

We should strive for a 100% awesome composition.
  • Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

>I don't really think we should strive for any composition.

Aren't we at 95% right now anyway?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

365578825">

>I don't really think we should strive for any compos

ition.

Aren't we at 95% right now anyway?

I'm still posting, so it's got to be lower than that!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maybe we should make forum sigs!

...someone call me??... :dancing:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Uncle Sargy's here!

...and that percentage continues to go downward... :p