Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

I might have to rediscover baseball, padre.

I would like to but....Astros.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

*cusscusscusscuss*

Man I thought they'd pulled off this awesome play and then ... obstruction? wtf? Sigh. I've seen that type of call before. I personally think if it seems unintentional it shouldn't be obstruction. What a load of bull. But I can't really blame that...since imo I think Salty shouldn't have gone for 3rd in the first place. Tie game like that...play it safer.

Oh well. They better kick butt tomorrow.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Obstruction. Really. Wait, maybe I'm not qualified to comment on something I know nothing about. Still, "intent does not matter in cases of obstruction" sounds wrong to me. I think whoever made up this rule also puts cheese on their apple pie.

And yeah, I think our Padres might even be worse than Houston. 

All Stop. On Screen.

*cusscusscusscuss*

Man I thought they'd pulled off this awesome play and then ... obstruction? wtf? Sigh. I've seen that type of call before. I personally think if it seems unintentional it shouldn't be obstruction. What a load of bull. But I can't really blame that...since imo I think Salty shouldn't have gone for 3rd in the first place. Tie game like that...play it safer.

Oh well. They better kick butt tomorrow.

LOL  By that logic a hit batter shouldn't count if it wasn't intentional.   Taking intent out of the call makes it a clear cut decision.  Did the player interfere or impede the runner's progress?  If yes, it's obstruction. This wasn't even a borderline call LC.  It was obvious.   Tough play, tough call (but the correct one) and a tough way to lose. 

Was it unintentional?  Probably, you can thank Salty for the throw that put Middlebrooks in Craig's path.  But it doesn't matter. 

That's the second game the Sawx have lost with an errant throw to third.  Breslow airmailed one in game two.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Poor Bill Buckner, he's in the news again now that a second WS game ended in an error. 

In other news there are rumors of the Rays moving to Montreal is they will build them a stadium. Seems unlikely to me. The ran off the Expos with extreme prejudice.

Last but not least the Rays sent two middle of the road prospects and a bag of cash to the White Sox for Jesse Crain. What a bust that was. That guy never pitched an inning. Talk about buying a lemon.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That was a crazy game last night.  It sucks that the Sawx lost, but man, that game was exciting.  Hopefully Buchholz comes through today.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

LOL  By that logic a hit batter shouldn't count if it wasn't intentional.   Taking intent out of the call makes it a clear cut decision.  Did the player interfere or impede the runner's progress?  If yes, it's obstruction. This wasn't even a borderline call LC.  It was obvious.

Well, pardon me for being a gurl or something and thinking the rule itself is stupid. A lot of rules in life and games are often stupid. :p

I was not arguing whether the rule was technically wrong regarding how the rule is currently written. But I would rather, on the rare times such types of obstruction occur, that they put everyone back where they were and just re-do the whole at bat. I'd want it even if it was reversed and STL was the one who would have lost with such a call.

And I don't think it's the same thing as a batter being hit by a pitch.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LOL  By that logic a hit batter shouldn't count if it wasn't intentional.   Taking intent out of the call makes it a clear cut decision.  Did the player interfere or impede the runner's progress?  If yes, it's obstruction. This wasn't even a borderline call LC.  It was obvious.

Well, pardon me for being a gurl or something and thinking the rule itself is stupid. A lot of rules in life and games are often stupid. :p

I was not arguing whether the rule was technically wrong regarding how the rule is currently written. But I would rather, on the rare times such types of obstruction occur, that they put everyone back where they were and just re-do the whole at bat. I'd want it even if it was reversed and STL was the one who would have lost with such a call.

And I don't think it's the same thing as a batter being hit by a pitch.

Your gender had nothing to do with my comment.  Salty's throw had already gone past Middlebrooks there was no issue of Wes being "in the act of fielding a ball."  That's the only time obstruction is a judgement call is when a fielder is interfered with.  Since that didn't apply, the rule simply asks "Did the player impede the runner?".    How is that stupid?    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_(baseball)

I haven't read one comment on any sports site that says the umps got the call wrong.  They all say it was a totally bizarre and unusual play, but everyone agrees that they got the call right.  :)

Edited by kgambit

The call was correct.  The Sawx didn't lose because of a bad call, they lost because Salty made a bad throw, and one he shouldn't have made in the first place.  Even on a perfect throw I doubt he would have gotten the runner at 3rd.  Still, it was a heat of the moment split second judgement for him to make that throw, so I can't really put too much blame on the guy.

I would like to see Farrell start Bogaerts at short and Middlebrooks at 3rd.  I know Stephen Drew is a great fielder, but he has done NOTHING at the plate.  Having him in the lineup is akin to having a pitcher in the lineup, or a second pitcher when they're playing in St. Louis.  I just don't think his defense is worth enough to make up for his complete and utter lack of production at the plate.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The call was correct.  The Sawx didn't lose because of a bad call, they lost because Salty made a bad throw, and one he shouldn't have made in the first place.  Even on a perfect throw I doubt he would have gotten the runner at 3rd.  Still, it was a heat of the moment split second judgement for him to make that throw, so I can't really put too much blame on the guy.

I would like to see Farrell start Bogaerts at short and Middlebrooks at 3rd.  I know Stephen Drew is a great fielder, but he has done NOTHING at the plate.  Having him in the lineup is akin to having a pitcher in the lineup, or a second pitcher when they're playing in St. Louis.  I just don't think his defense is worth enough to make up for his complete and utter lack of production at the plate.

Game 4:  Bogaerts at 3B, Ross at C, Gomes in LF, Nava in RF, Victorino scratched (banged up)

@kgambit - my "gurl" comment wasn't a direct note to you. It's my sometimes standard disclaimer that I'm making an emotional opinion vs. a logical one. Living with a slightly more humanistic Spock, it's become rather a habit to preface opinions that way. :p

As I tried to say, I take no issue with the call being technically correct, so you can stop trying to convince me how it was the correct call, as if I said it wasn't, which I didn't. I also already said I blame Salty more than anything, not to mention other things in the full game.

As you stated, by the pure rulebook, intent does not matter. All I'm saying is that applying such a black/white to a rule in a game where people are making split second emotional/physical decisions and can't always help having some contact or whatever, is rather absurd. Sometimes stuff happens that shouldn't, imo, be ruled by black/white rulings. Should be more like a judgement call rule or something, perhaps.

Also, there's this: :lol:

QL1y7NI.jpg

• Like 1

@kgambit - my "gurl" comment wasn't a direct note to you. It's my sometimes standard disclaimer that I'm making an emotional opinion vs. a logical one. Living with a slightly more humanistic Spock, it's become rather a habit to preface opinions that way. :p

As I tried to say, I take no issue with the call being technically correct, so you can stop trying to convince me how it was the correct call, as if I said it wasn't, which I didn't. I also already said I blame Salty more than anything, not to mention other things in the full game.

As you stated, by the pure rulebook, intent does not matter. All I'm saying is that applying such a black/white to a rule in a game where people are making split second emotional/physical decisions and can't always help having some contact or whatever, is rather absurd. Sometimes stuff happens that shouldn't, imo, be ruled by black/white rulings. Should be more like a judgement call rule or something, perhaps.

Also, there's this: :lol:

Okay.  I got it.  

The whole purpose of the rule is to make it as clear cut as possible.   

That being said, there are instances where the umpires do not get things right.  Reggie Jackson getting in the way of a throw in game 4 of the 1978 WS is a classic example. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWKWvrVfrI

The funniest part of that is watching Tommy Lasorda got flipping nuts.  :)

PS:  Gomes just went yard for the SOX.  They lead 4-1 in top of the 7th.

Edited by kgambit

After being rock solid during the second half of the year and the earlier postseason rounds, Craig Breslow has become somewhat shaky during the world series.

Edit:  Farrell bringing Lackey in for the 8th?  If he only goes an inning (I'm assuming Uehara will come in for the 9th if the Sawx are still leading) would he be able to start game 6?  I suppose if not, he could switch spots with Peavy and be ready for game 7.

Edit 2:  Holy ****, the game ended on a pickoff!  Has that ever happened before in a world series?  2-2, we're going back to Beantown no matter what!

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sawx strike right away before Wainwright got into a groove with back to back double by Laser Show and Papi to go up 1-0.  Papi is inferno hot right now.  I mean, he;s batting almost .800 in the world series.  .800!  That's ABSURD!  I don't want to give the Cards pointers, but I would walk him every time he comes up, EVERY TIME.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

With two games to go, both in Boston, I wouldn't call it a lock but it's the next best thing to it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's certainly not a lock, but I'd definitely much rather be in the Sawx' shoes than the Cardinals right now.  With Lackey on the mound on Wednesday, I feel pretty good going forward, he's been really good all year, even if his record doesn't reflect it, on account of the lack of run support he's gotten.  Also, I'd like to throw some praise in Xander Bogaerts' direction.  The guy has been in the majors for about a month and a half, maybe two months, here he is starting games in the world series, and he's got no stage fright whatsoever.  That guy is going to be a multiple time all-star.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If I'm the Cards, Ortiz should have been walked in the first inning after Pedroia's double.  I'm giving him anything in the strike zone.  The guy is hitting .733 and the rest of the team is hitting .151.  If Drew, Ross, Gomes beats you, fine.  But I wouldn't let Papi see anything that even sniffs the strike zone. 

Nobody is hitting in this series (except Ortiz).  I think combined the two teams (minus Ortiz) are hitting .186

I just re-read my OP with all my predictions. I suck at baseball prognostication!

Thomas Sowell

Nobody is hitting in this series (except Ortiz).  I think combined the two teams (minus Ortiz) are hitting .186

Bogaerts is batting .294 and Laser Show is batting .264.  Otherwise I agree with nobody hitting in the series as it pertains to the Sawx. 

I just re-read my OP with all my predictions. I suck at baseball prognostication!

You sort of got the Sawx prediction sort of right:

5. Boston Red Sox: Still rebuilding. They still have some good hitters but pitching is a problem Lester and Buchholz had bad seasons last year. Ryan Dempster is their #3. Seriously? Fraid so. The bullpen is even worse. They are weak defensively and while they might score some runs they will also give up too many.Prediction: Sorry Lady Crimson, it’s gonna be along year. 65-97.

You were right about them having a long season, they're still playing now.  Also, you got the number of wins and losses correct, just backwards.  :p

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Bogaerts is batting .294 and Laser Show is batting .264.  Otherwise I agree with nobody hitting in the series as it pertains to the Sawx. 

The Cards have a couple of guys hitting better than 300; Beltran, Molina and Craig and Holiday is at .286 but overall the bats aren't coming through for either team.  Or maybe it's just a lack of timely hitting.  The Cards have scored 11 runs total in 5 games.  That's isn't going to get it done. 

**** yes!  **** yes!  **** yes!  Shane Victorino, the Miniature Giant Hawaiian puts the Sawx on top with a 3 run triple!

Edit:  Make that a double plus an extra base on the throw home.

Edit 2:  So much for Stephen Drew's slump as he smashed a solo blast into the bullpen to put the Sawx up 4-0. 

Edit 3:  Wacha Wacha Wacha exits the game and Napoli greets the new pitcher Lynn with a single to put the Sawx up 5-0.  The Cards' season is on life support.

Edit 4:  The Miniature Giant Hawaiian hits a ribbie single.  6-0, this game has been broken wide open.  Lackey is FINALLY getting run support.  I suppose this is as good a time as any. :biggrin:   

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸