Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

I just realized that the Sawx have already won 2 in a row (games 2 & 3), so let's just pretend that I wrote "no team will win 2 games in a row in this series again".  Yeah, let's do that.

:-

Last night's game had a little bit of everything, but I think it hinged on baserunning. The inexplicable blunder by Miggy early in the game when he tried to score from second on a single and was thrown out by 5 1/2 country miles may have changed the complexion of the game right from the get go.  Had Miggy stopped at third there's no guarantee he scores, but it would have put pressure on a somewhat struggling Lester and the chance for a big inning would have remained.  Later in the game Will Middlebrooks made a heads-up, aggressive baserunning play when he went from 1st to 3rd on a bunt when he noticed the catcher was late covering 3rd.  While he didn't wind up scoring, it was indicative of the smart, aggressive approach the Sawx were taking.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So the Cards punched their ticket to the World Series last night.  In the end, they were just too much for the Dodgers to handle.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Glad to see the Doyers lose. Loved every minute of it.

But not so glad to see Nolan retire. It was a battle in that front office and I don't blame him for leaving. JD already has enemies at Oakland for pretty much stealing their Scouting Director, Grady Fuson, away from them. Both JD and John Hart never gave Fuson the credit for bringing all that talent to the farm. He practically laid the foundation for their recent success. Heh, it's funny that Wash is the last member of the group that came from Oakland.

I won't be surprised to see Mike Maddux leave too.

I'm betting the Rangers will fade into obscurity pretty soon here.  Two WS losses, then two late season collapses, and now management trouble.  I don't follow them too closely, but it sounds bad.

I laughed at this:

995215_10151699924048587_1280241407_n.jp

Edited by Hurlshot

**** yes!  Shane Victorino had struggled all series long at the plate, with one swing he got redemption in the greatest way possible.  World series bound!

Coming into this series, who would have thought that the Tigers would be 0-3 in games started by Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've always liked Shane, from watching the Phillies.

Had the little TV in my pc room tuned to the game while hubs and I played BL2 and in the middle of killing some big bad hubby got an earful through the headphone mic. "Shane! Wooooooooo!"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There were a lot of factors in the Sawx victory over the Tigers, but baserunning has to be right at the top of the list of things Detroit has to be kicking itself about.  The Fielder play in that gif and a hobbled Miggy inexplicably trying to score from 2nd on a sharply hit single were the most prominent blunders.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

@Keyrock

What's the story with Buchholz?  I heard he might be pulled from the WS rotation.  Something about a neck or shoulder issue? 

"We're still working on which day each guy will go," Farrell told Boston radio station WEEI on Wednesday. "And I know there's been a lot of buzz on Clay's physical condition -- you know, where is he at, what's taken place the last couple of starts. He's ready to go. He will start."

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

**** yes!  Napoli comes through again in the 1st with a 3 run double.  He's a very streaky hitter, he goes through ice cold streaks and super red hot streaks.  He picked a really good time to go on a hot streak. 

:biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sawx won 8-1.  Lester was terrific, Wainwright had a bad night, Kozma had a trrible night fielding.

Buchholz acknowledged shoulder soreness after game 1.  Right now the word is that it's 50/50 whether he or Doubront starts game 4.  Buchholz is a very good pitcher, but his body is made out of paper mache.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sawx won 8-1.  Lester was terrific, Wainwright had a bad night, Kozma had a trrible night fielding.

Buchholz acknowledged shoulder soreness after game 1.  Right now the word is that it's 50/50 whether he or Doubront starts game 4.  Buchholz is a very good pitcher, but his body is made out of paper mache.

Three Card errors not counting the pop fly that Wainwright - Molina let drop for an infield hit.  Yikes!     Beltran's catch at the wall prevented it from being even uglier but he bruised his ribs in the process (x-rays negative). 

I kind of think the Sawx were going to win yesterday anyway, without the Cards having a terrible fielding night, because Lester was dealing and Wainwright was clearly off, even before Lozma's first error.  However, the Cards didn't do themselves any favors by literally dropping the ball several times.  Wacha has been on fire this postseason, but Lackey has been really strong too.  It should be a really good game tonight.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I kind of think the Sawx were going to win yesterday anyway, without the Cards having a terrible fielding night, because Lester was dealing and Wainwright was clearly off, even before Lozma's first error.  However, the Cards didn't do themselves any favors by literally dropping the ball several times.  Wacha has been on fire this postseason, but Lackey has been really strong too.  It should be a really good game tonight.

I agree.  The Cards were likely not going to win yesterday considering Wainwright was off his game, but they sure looked ugly losing.  Wacha has been off the charts in the postseason.  Not a bad choice for the draft pick they got from the Angels for losing Pujols.  :)

Edited by kgambit

Well, the Sawx defense took a turn losing a game.  Sadly, Lackey will be credited with a loss, when he pitched very well and it was the defense commiting not one but two errors on one play that lost the game for the team.  Oh well, onward to St. Louis.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Saw the first game and that was nice comedy of STL errors for the Redsox to take advantage of. Saw the 2nd half of the 2nd game and that one wasn't so nice. But I didn't really expect to sweep 'em. Some want them to win in 6 so they can get the win in Boston. :)

Not sure if I'll get to watch the next game, but hopefully I can catch a little of it. Go Red Sox!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts