Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Come on, Pirates. YOU HAVE ONE JOB. The fabled Pirates vs. Oakland world series won't happen if you lose!

It's looking like the Pirates magical season is coming to an end, unless they can pull off a miracle rally.  Too bad.  I don't particularly care who comes out of the NL, but I'll generally lean toward the underdog if I have no favorite.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's a shame too. I have all the respect in the world for the Cardinals but their fanbase is insufferable... well, the fans I've encountered anyway. If the team is not up against the Rangers or Rockies, I'm rooting for the underdog. Which makes the NLCS is so awful for me; a team with a 9 figure payroll going up against the Los Angeles Doyers. A lose-lose situation, if I ever saw one.

But I'm keeping the faith as moneyball can still happen tonight.

Balls.

Verlander is pretty good.

Yeah.  Makes me happy the Sawx won't have to see him in game 1 or game 2.  They almost certainly won't have to see Scherzer in game 1 either.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Balls.

Yeah.  Makes me happy the Sawx won't have to see him in game 1 or game 2.  They almost certainly won't have to see Scherzer in game 1 either.

But the Sawx will likely face both twice if it goes seven, and Sanchez is no slouch.    Sanchex vs Lester

The Tiger's weak link is their bullpen - which frankly sucks. 

LA vs StL shapes up like this:

1) Greinke vs Kelly

2) Kershaw vs Wacha

3) ? vs Wainwright

Going to be an interesting series.

Edited by kgambit

I like both of the match ups. I really don't have a team to root for at all so I'm just an interested observer on this one. I think the Sox will get past the Tigers just on their hitting alone. For the Cards it is imperative that they put the Dodgers in a hole right away. LA has shown a tendency to implode when things are not going well. But if you let them get ahead, they STAY ahead.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Balls.

But the Sawx will likely face both twice if it goes seven, and Sanchez is no slouch.    Sanchex vs Lester

Still better than the prospect of having to face either Scherzer or Verlander 3 times, which is impossible now since it would require one of them to start game 1 (then pitch game 4 then game 7).  Conversely, the Sawx could potentially pitch Lester 3 times, if they chose to do so.

The best thing about the Sawx is that they have no real weakness.  While they're not as top heavy in starting pitching as the Tigers, all 4 of their postseason starters will keep you in the game.  Their middle relief is very good and they have a lights out closer.  The lineup has plenty of power and a good bit of speed, plus it's loaded with disciplined hitters.  Also, their defense is very good.  There is really nothing for an opposing team to exploit.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I feel bad for the A's, but then again, I'm glad I don't have to play the ping-pong rooting game if they played the Redsox. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wow, what a tight game last night. That is a huge win for the Cards.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I didn't get to see it finish.  I stayed up until the 12th, then tiredness took over.  Had it been a Sawx game, I would have kept myself awake to see it to the end.  I'd be quite happy to see the Dodgers and Cards go extra innings in every single game of the series, plus go 7.  Tire yourselves out fellas.

:biggrin:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No score after the 1st.  Sanchez had 4 strikeouts in the 1st inning, yes 4.  The good news for the Sawx is that Sanchez threw 26 pitches in the first inning.  They need to get him out of the game and get to that soft bullpen.

Edit:  Through 2 innings it's a case of good news and bad news for the Sawx tonight.  

Bad News:  They don't have a hit off Sanchez and have only managed to make contact a few times.  

Good News:  Sanchez has thrown 51 pitches through 2 innings (compared to Lester's 33).  It's unlikely Sanchez lasts more than 6 innings (if he even lasts that long).  The Sawx will get a crack at the Tigers bullpen.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Man, Tigers pitching was just ridiculous in game 1.  Buchholz is going to have to be spectacular to beat Scherzer and keep Boston from going down 0-2.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Man, Tigers pitching was just ridiculous in game 1.  Buchholz is going to have to be spectacular to beat Scherzer and keep Boston from going down 0-2.

Uchiyama say "Red Sox have hole(s) in their swing".       :)

I was surprised that Sanchez lasted 6 innings, I didn't think he would make it thru the 5th.

Uchiyama say "Red Sox have hole(s) in their swing".       :)

I was surprised that Sanchez lasted 6 innings, I didn't think he would make it thru the 5th.

They got aggressive later in the game and gave him a couple easy 10 pitch type innings.  Sawx couldn't hit anyone except Benoit last night.  That guy is super shaky as a closer, but he did get the job done.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dear Tigers pitching: could you start being really...mediocre, just for this week? Thanks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That was a sweet, sweet victory. I was screaming at the screen and clapping. Wooohooo!

Edit: Now I won't be able to sleep.

I'm ready for some baseball! Maybe Verlander will do poorly today. I can dream ... more likely, I'll be able to shower and do a store run in the middle innings and not miss anything.