Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

What justice did he obstruct? The harassment and attempted lynching himself over some silly drugs that hurt nobody? he should be awarded a medal for standing up to the bullies and scumbags who tried to destroy him. He should them for a billion dollars minimum.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As far as I'm concerned, Barry Bonds can do no wrong.

Was he a jerk? Yep.

Was he the most hated superstar of his day by fans and media alike? Yep.

Was he the most destructive force on earth within the battery's box since Babe Ruth? Undeniable.

Was he a product of his age? Check.

Gents, you have Ted Williams.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What justice did he obstruct? The harassment and attempted lynching himself over some silly drugs that hurt nobody? he should be awarded a medal for standing up to the bullies and scumbags who tried to destroy him. He should them for a billion dollars minimum.

No this wasn't a freaking witch hunt.  The 2003  grand jury that called Bonds to testify was not investigating Bonds at all, but rather BALCO and Greg Anderson.   Bond's steroid use started before any MLB official testing and sanctions were in place.  At the time of the grand jury MLB had just started instituting full drug testing with suspensions for failed tests so Bonds wasn't subject to any punishment for his prior use.  (The official steroid testing program went into effect at about that time based on a steroid test survey that triggered a 5% threshold)  So what persecution was there again? 

The only charges that could be levied against the witnesses testifying before the grand jury were for perjury or obstruction of justice.  And guess what?  Barry obliged them and got convicted.   The obstruction charge carries a recommended sentence of 15 to 21 months.  Bonds got off with a hand slap.   

Bond's performance fell off after MLB testing was implemented in 2003 and his hr totals dropped precipitously in 2006 and 2007 after missing the entire 2005 season.  He was 42yo  in 2007.  His career was at an end.

I keep forgetting that you seem to think that you get to choose which laws you get to obey and which ones you don't.  Things don't work that way.  Learn to deal with it.

@Hurlshot

There are a lot of things I think the US wastes money on that are far more trivial than this.  But point taken.

@Lefered

The big difference between Williams and Bonds is that Williams never padded his stats by cheating.  He never felt he had to.  Bonds did so because he hated being deprived of the limelight by cheaters like Sosa and McGuire.  Bonds was a stone cold lock for the Hall of Fame without doping.  Now?  He's probably a 50-50 shot.

Valid points and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with them if they were true. Barry Bonds was taking flax seed oil as far as he/I was concerned and it was that villainous Stan Conte and presumably Greg Anderson who allegedly injected/rubbed on certain controlled substances that may have allegedly extended his career peak.

Marvel the greatness that is Barry Bonds:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

30 days home confinement for being the alleged victim of a conspiracy?

Barry Bonds can do no wrong.

PS his 2004 season was just absolutely amazing.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

There is no way they go after Bonds for obstruction of justice of he isn't Barry Bonds.  The perjury charges were a stretch and he wasn't convicted of them.  Basically he was put on trial for not telling the truth (while not fully lying), which is absolutely ridiculous.  The slap on the wrist is simply something they wouldn't bother with if it was some no name guy, but they wanted to make an example of him.  We are going after a baseball player for being evasive in front of a grand jury about performance enhancing drugs.  I really can't think of anything that sounds more silly.

In the baseball world Bonds is going to suffer the consequences, which is more understandable.  Him and Roger Clemens should be obvious 1st ballot HoFers, but instead they are going to get the cold shoulder for a bit.  But it would also be ridiculous not to have them in the HoF, because they absolutely dominated their era of the game, even if it was the steroid era. 

Edited by Hurlshot

Barry Bonds was taking flax seed oil as far as he/I was concerned  .......

PS his 2004 season was just absolutely amazing.

Ahhhh, it's the Marion Jones defense! Or did Marion use the Barry Bonds Flaxseed oil defense?   lol

Bonds took the following: 

• human growth hormone,
  • Depo-Testosterone,
  • undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear,"
  • insulin  
  • Clomid, the fertility drug that enhances the effect of testosterone;
  • modafinil, an anti-narcolepsy drug used as a stimulant
  • the steroid trenbolone.

Those are all verified by drug tests and confirmed by purchase receipts.  So either Bonds is tremendously naïve, stupid or is lying thru his teeth.   

The thing that stands out about 2004 is the 232 BB and the phenomenal 1.42 OPS.  Nobody wanted to pitch to the dude. 

Look at his career stats thru 1999.  3 MVP awards (plus 4 others in the top 5), 10 All star appearances, 8 golden gloves,.  He was routinely putting up 40 HR, 110 rbi, 0.300+ BA seasons.  The guy was a cinch to get to 600 homers without doping and was a freaking lock for the Hall. 

There is no way they go after Bonds for obstruction of justice of he isn't Barry Bonds.  The perjury charges were a stretch and he wasn't convicted of them.  Basically he was put on trial for not telling the truth (while not fully lying), which is absolutely ridiculous.  The slap on the wrist is simply something they wouldn't bother with if it was some no name guy, but they wanted to make an example of him.  We are going after a baseball player for being evasive in front of a grand jury about performance enhancing drugs.  I really can't think of anything that sounds more silly.

In the baseball world Bonds is going to suffer the consequences, which is more understandable.  Him and Roger Clemens should be obvious 1st ballot HoFers, but instead they are going to get the cold shoulder for a bit.  But it would also be ridiculous not to have them in the HoF, because they absolutely dominated their era of the game, even if it was the steroid era. 

I think you're parsing words over not telling the truth versus lying.   But no matter.   Maybe they did want to make an example of him.  He still got off on all but one charge and still got a slap on the wrist. 

I'll agree that the HoF consequences are going to hurt a lot more to Barry.   I'm not convinced he and Clemens get in.  We'll see how the next vote turns out.

Edited by kgambit

Reminds me of that chap I met from Nigeria who claimed that it was unfair that athletes couldn't use steroids. That it was an American conspiracy to dominate sports.

When I pointed out that this seemed odd, given it applied to American athletes as well, he said it didn't, because Americans had access to super steroids and stuff that were super advanced and undetectable. He said that this was unfair on athletes from smaller countries who couldn't afford the undetectable stuff.

Apparently this theory is quite popular in Nigeria.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Look at his career stats thru 1999.  3 MVP awards (plus 4 others in the top 5), 10 All star appearances, 8 golden gloves,.  He was routinely putting up 40 HR, 110 rbi, 0.300+ BA seasons.  The guy was a cinch to get to 600 homers without doping and was a freaking lock for the Hall. 

Yeah, some people have this weird misconception that steroids made Bonds a great hitter.  He was already one of the best hitters of his generation.  And I don't need to see receipts or drug tests to know he was on something, my eyes do the job well enough on their own:

barry-bonds-before-and-after.jpg

I mean, you can change your body naturally through proper nutrition and hard work, but there are limits.

In other news, Sawx got their 90th win last night.  What's even better is that it came at the expense of the Yankees.  Oakland is on a hot streak right now, so the Sawx need to keep winning to make sure they get the #1 seed.  It would be nice to get that all wrapped up with some 3 or 4 games left in the season so they can rest guys and set up their rotation for the playoffs.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Have to root for the Royals and Pirates to get in the playoffs.

Oakland going for the jugular against Texas.

Have to root for the Royals and Pirates to get in the playoffs.

Oakland going for the jugular against Texas.

Rangers are pulling a repeat of last year - a season ending death spiral.  The difference is that this year the spiral started MUCH sooner.  This time last year the Rangers still had the best record in baseball.  This year?  They're 4 1/2 behind the A's with 16 to play and hanging onto a 2 1/2 game lead on the Indians for the wild card.  The team's pitching is in the crapper and the hitting (until last nights 8th inning outburst) has been just as bad.     Washington has over-worked the pen and now it's struggling too.  I'm not optimistic.

Meh. Darvish loses his second straight 1-0 decision.  :(

Former major leaguer Wladimir Balentien hit his 56th and 57th home runs on Sunday, breaking the Japanese single-season record set by legendary slugger Sadaharu Oh 49 years ago.

balentien-gif.gif

Geez, that was an ugly one.  It must have caught a good wind, it looks like a pop fly coming off the bat.

Yeah it sucks when a hitter gets a 90 foot pop fly up in one of those typhoon strength jet streams that let a ball carry 400+ feet.  :)

Edited by kgambit

Sawx broke out the brooms and swept the Yankees right out of Fenway.  Buchholz struggled with his command a bit, but he battled through it and got stronger as the game wore on.  I'm starting to think they may get to 100 wins.  They'd have to go 8-3 in their remaining games, so it's unlikely, but definitely possible.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's basically down to 3 teams for those 2 AL wild card slots: Rangers, Rays, and Indians.  I expect the Indians to get in because they're hot right now and they have a really easy remaining schedule.  That would leave the Rays and Rangers to duke it out for that last spot.  Both teams have been fading, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It's basically down to 3 teams for those 2 AL wild card slots: Rangers, Rays, and Indians.  I expect the Indians to get in because they're hot right now and they have a really easy remaining schedule.  That would leave the Rays and Rangers to duke it out for that last spot.  Both teams have been fading, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

Tampa has been limping home but the Rangers are on life-support ....lol

Schedule favors the Indians I think .....

Cleveland has 3 against KC, 4 against Houston, 2 against CHW, then finish with 4 against Minn

Rays has 4 against Texas, 4 against Baltimore and then 3 each against the Yankees and Toronto

Texas has 4 against the Rays, 3 against KC and Houston, then 4 against LAA

Texas needs to at least split with Tampa

Rays 1, Rangers 0. So far so good but these next three games are just going to KILL me with suspense! But at least this will take my mind off of how lousy the Buccaneers have played these last two weeks.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Rays 1, Rangers 0. So far so good but these next three games are just going to KILL me with suspense! But at least this will take my mind off of how lousy the Buccaneers have played these last two weeks.

Rays up 6-2 thru 5; Garza pulled after 4.1 .....  looks like Game 1 to the Rays 

Rangers lose 6 - 2, losing streak is now at 7 straight; KC beats the Tribe 7-1, LAA rips Oakland 12-1

The wild card in the AL is a clusterf**k

Tampa is a game up on the Rangers who are a half game up on Clev who are 1 1/2 games up on Baltimore and 2 up on the yanks and KC

That's 3 1/2 games total that separates 6 teams with 12 or 13 games to play

In the National League only Washington has any chance of snagging a wild card and they are 5 games back The race is for the Central division lead

First pitch tonight and Hellboy gives up a walkoff homer. Hopefully it gets better from here. A three game sweep of the Rangers would not be enough to lock it up but it would help.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

First pitch tonight and Hellboy gives up a walkoff homer. Hopefully it gets better from here. A three game sweep of the Rangers would not be enough to lock it up but it would help.

Rangers  7-1   Ogando and bullpen combine on a 4 hitter  

Wash needs to sit Berkmann, preferably in Round Rock (Ranger minor league reference) - guy is just a massive liability on the base paths and at the plate. 

Edited by kgambit