Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Damn the Giants & Bumgarnder. He looked like he was going to get rocked in the first few innings then shut the Rays down afterwards. We'll get 'em tonight!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good stuff from Peavy in his first start for the Sawx today.  7 strong innings, 2 runs given up and a W.  It's only one start, but he looked like the guy the Sawx were hoping he would be when they traded for him.  If he pitches like this for the rest of the year then the Sawx are in good shape.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Damn those Red Sox. Apparently they didn't get the message they were supposed to be rebuilding this year! Big win in extras last night for the Rays. Will Myers is awesome.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Damn those Red Sox. Apparently they didn't get the message they were supposed to be rebuilding this year! Big win in extras last night for the Rays. Will Myers is awesome.

No, the Sawx ain't going away.  I'm just happy that it seems the Rays have cooled off a tiny bit from their insane hot streak during July.  On the plus side, for both the Sawx and Rays, the Orioles lost, finally creating some separation between the top 2 teams in the AL East and everybody else.  It's looking more and more like a 2 horse race for the division, and both team will most likely make the postseason.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nice win today to take 2 of 3 from the Giants. It's gonna be an interesting day tomorrow once MLB drops the hammer.

Thomas Sowell

Really frustrating game for the Sawx for 8 innings.  They had opportunity after opportunity to score and squandered a lot of them, meanwhile the 'Stros had few opportunities and made the most of them.  Then in 9th inning a 3 run homer gave the Sawx the win.  Frustrating game to watch, but a W is a W.  Now if I could just get a Rays loss tonight, I'll be a very happy man.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

An ERA of 81.00. A WHIP of 15.00.

Dang, Rodney. I've had some bad results from my pitchers this year, some from you, but I think that one takes the cake.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The Sawx are in the midst of the toughest stretch they have remaining on their schedule, two road trips with a 3 game set against the Yankees at Fenway sandwiched in between.  Basically they're spending the vast majority of August on the road.  They just came off a rough 4 game set in KC where they lost 3 out of 4 to the scrappy Royals (I can't believe I just wrote that).  Luckily, the Rays helped them out by going on a 5 game losing streak so the Sawx actually stretched their lead to 3 games despite the rough series.  On the down side, this allowed Baltimore back into the race.  Hopefully they make it out of August still in 1st and get Buchholz back for the final push for the division.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Rays are in real trouble if they don't break out of this free fall real quick. The Sox are not going to oblige us by starting to suck. They've lost six of the last eight and the last five straight.

Thomas Sowell

Rays are still lookin' good for at least a wild card, though they've lost much of their cushion.  There are still over 40 games left this season so we're far from deciding anything. The Sawx were on the verge of eliminating the Os from the division race, but this latest stumble has let them back in.  I would feel a lot more comfortable with a 2 team race than a 3 team race.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Manny Ramirez has been released by the Rangers.  

Thomas Sowell

After an ugly six game losing streak the Rays are hot again and the Red Sox can't even buy a win. Nice to see Alex Cobb back, Matt Moore comes back this weekend. If we can figure out what's wrong with Hellickson we'll be in good shape for the stretch run!

Thomas Sowell

ARRRGH!  Holland throw a two hitter thru 7; leaves leading 1-0, and Rangers bullpen blows the save.

And in other news, Miguel Tejada joins the PED 13 and is suspended for 105 games for amphetamine use.  (That was his third failed drug test)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23194239/miguel-tejada-suspended-for-105-games-for-amphetamines

After an ugly six game losing streak the Rays are hot again and the Red Sox can't even buy a win. Nice to see Alex Cobb back, Matt Moore comes back this weekend. If we can figure out what's wrong with Hellickson we'll be in good shape for the stretch run!

It's been frustrating to watch the Sawx for the last couple weeks.  They have had no shortage of scoring opportunities, and the pitching has generally been good, but they keep wasting said opportunities.  They may as well be called the Boston Left On Base.

On the bright side, the Sawx managed to get to Hiroki Kuroda, who's one of the best pitchers in the AL, today, and Lackey (yes, Lackey) has been pitching a gem.  Hopefully they don't blow it in the late innings.  A big win over one of the top pitchers in the league may be just what the doctor ordered to get things back on track. (or just wishful thinking)

Edit:  Woot!  Insurance run.

And another insurance run.  This should be it for Kuroda.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Caught a bit of that game. Glad they won, but I still dislike Fox baseball coverage. :p Lackey's been pitching well so I give him team-props for that, but I still don't like personally like him. He rubs me the wrong way ... at least on TV, not like I know the man.

Feeling bad for Remy ... the father, not the son. I don't feel sorry for the son one bit, he sounds like trash.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Caught a bit of that game. Glad they won, but I still dislike Fox baseball coverage. :p Lackey's been pitching well so I give him team-props for that, but I still don't like personally like him. He rubs me the wrong way ... at least on TV, not like I know the man.

It still feels weird to see Lackey come off the field to a standing O.  I'm not a fan of the guy either, but after the last couple of years, it's good to see him have a good year and actually help, as opposed to hinder, the team.  Tazawa and Uehara have been the key guys on the pitching staff this year, especially with Hanrahan and Bailey going out for the season.  They've been all types of great as the set up guy and the closer.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I was a Boston Red Sox fan for 30 seconds last night. When Ryan Dempster nailed A-Rod after throwing at him three times I thought that was a beautiful thing.

Thomas Sowell

You believe in assault. I believe in filing assault charges when someone attempts to injure me with something that could kill me. Dempster is a coward who can't even admit he did it on purpose. The fact you believe that A Rod deserves the death penalty because he did some drugs is laughably disgusting. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

:lol:  Allow me to repeat my previous question to you Volo, when did you lose your sense of humor? It's been so long I've forgotten! 

Thomas Sowell

Volo made a great joke in that avatar thread from 2004, so it was some time after that I suppose.

...not long after that, though...not long at all... :biggrin:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I kinda actually liked A-Rod again when he hit that shot against Dempster in the sixth.

Then again Barry Bonds was one my all time favorite ball players, and still is.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle