Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Doesn't he have anything else to do in his life? No other interests? I'm not saying that as a jibe, I just mean...he's 41 and rich. I understand some people don't like to "sit still" for very long, but maybe he could start up a business. Or learn management/coaching. Or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When Jack Nicklaus retired from golf, he refused to watch it because he hated not being out there. Manny's probably the same way. The thing is; who really needs him?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

"Doesn't he have anything else to do in his life? No other interests? I'm not saying that as a jibe, I just mean...he's 41 and rich. I understand some people don't like to "sit still" for very long, but maybe he could start up a business. Or learn management/coaching. Or something."

Yeah, how horrible of him. He wants to do the thing he's been doing for the past 2 decades.. I dunno because he enjoys it and he is good at it. What an evil, evil, evil man. EXECUTE HIM.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm sure most players would like to play into their 40's, but most can't and Manny hasn't shown that he can.  The A's gave him a shot last year, he was hitting for a decent average, but he didn't have the power and he can't field.  There is nothing personal about it, there simply isn't enough DH spots for a guy at his age.

Manny is done. Stick a fork in him. At this point, he's well below replacement level as a ballplayer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yesterday Will Myers hit a grand slam off CC Sabathia and James Shields lost... again. Any doubt on who came off the winner in that trade?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's why the Royals are the Royals. Outside of the wins, Shields is pitching typical Shields. He's only allowed more than 2 ER once in the last 10 games, and he only has 1 recorded win in that time.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Anytime the Royals are involved in a trade, they always come out behind. It's a rule. It's been stipulated since the '94 collective bargaining agreement. It is known.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

The Red Sox & Rockies combined for 31 hits, 15 runs and 4 errors tonight. Wow. I don't think the Marlins have that many hits this month!

Rays won again. That's 5 of their last 7, and Hellickson & Moore seem to be back in form. Woo-Hoo!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is a good read. I've always been fascinated with indy league ball: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/51667380/

Thomas Sowell

Apparently no pitchers showed up at US Cellular Park on Friday. The Indians and White Sox played a double header and between both games combined there were 46 Runs, 59 Hits, and 2 errors. Please tell me they were using the batting practice pitching machine!

Thomas Sowell

Rays take two of three from the tigers. Then they go on a little vacation of sorts, three games in Houston.

Thomas Sowell

Dear SF Giants: So, guys, what's upppppppp? Can we do a little better than last place?

Dear Red Sox: Even if it falls apart at the end, it's still overall far more than I was expecting from the year. Which of course, makes it more interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As a former die-hard Giants fan, the Giants were lucky in '10 and luckier in '12. They were really are not that good those years.

You don't get lucky when you win championships. You earn them. they were good enough tow in that makes them the best team. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Lack of slugging is not sustainable for a winning team. They won a lot of close games and relied on dramatics in the postseason. I enjoyed the ride for what it was, but they ain't the Miami Heat.

As a former die-hard Giants fan, the Giants were lucky in '10 and luckier in '12. They were really are not that good those years.

As a die hard Giants fan, I have no idea what you are talking about.  They had the best pitching staff in baseball the last few years, and it showed in the postseason.  This year has been rough because of injuries.

Slugging will get you to the playoffs, but pitching wins championships.  

edit:  They also weren't luckier in 2012.  They won the division easily, they had better hitting, and they swept the slugging Tigers.

Edit 2:  The Giants had plenty of slugging teams that never got a championship.

Edited by Hurlshot

No they don't. In 2012, the Giants only had the 5th best pitching staff in the NL by ERA. When you factor in park affects and other factors, Giants pitching staff ranked 20th in the Majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2012.shtml

We should probably remember that the Giants were leading their division before Buster Posey got injured in 2009, and they started this season out well before they lost Sandoval, Pagan, Vogelsong, and Casilla.  You can argue that they aren't a deep team, but saying they got lucky is silly.  You don't luck into anything in the long baseball season.

No they don't. In 2012, the Giants only had the 5th best pitching staff in the NL by ERA. When you factor in park affects and other factors, Giants pitching staff ranked 20th in the Majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2012.shtml

Did you watch the 2012 playoffs?  I watched every pitch, and there was no staff better than the Giants.  They embarrassed the Triple Crown winner at the plate.

I also remember watching the staff pitch 36 straight shutout innings in 2012.  I really don't need a stat breakdown to tell me who has the best pitching staff.  They win the big games.

Edited by Hurlshot

That adage about pitching wins in the playoffs has been debunked so many times by Bill James it's a broken record. This isn't the 1990's anymore.

It's about scoring more runs than the other team. That doesn't mean go for all power and no pitching and defense. It means having a lineup and pitching staff that will allow your team to score more runs than the other team.