Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

I wonder if Barry frickin' Zito is truly back to being Barry frickin' Zito. Lookin' good so far.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I wonder if Barry frickin' Zito is truly back to being Barry frickin' Zito. Lookin' good so far.

I'd say the playoff performance already proved that.  Heck, he could fall off the face of earth at this point, and he'll still be a huge part of the World Series run.  Now he's always going to have the massive contract hanging over him a bit, but that I've always said that was management's issue for offering it.    

I'm thinking of adding him to my fantasy team. I figured if the Giants lost a game against Detroit, and Barry pitched one more game and beat Verlander again, he could have given Sandoval a run for his money in the MVP voting. It was awesome seeing him pitch like a #1 starter again, with the nastiest curveball in the business.

All of my current starting pitchers are having some of the worst starts of their careers it seems. Hamels, Vogelsong, Hudson. Josh Johnson wasn't so hot either. It's probably just me though. I call my team the "Last Place Losers" for a reason. Verlander's worst year - he was on my team. I traded Reyes for him. He was having his worst year at the time. As soon as the trade went through, he went on a tear.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Vogelsong looked pretty good in his start, so I think he will be fine.  Madison Baumgarner is my favorite of the Giant's pitchers, but I'm guessing he isn't available.  You might want to look at a couple of the A's pitchers, they are very good and I think will continue to improve.  

I'm more concerned about the Giant's bats at this point :)

I've got tons of bats, and not near enough pitching. The guy I'm trying to trade with has Verlander/Baumgarner/Sabathia and 3 solid closers. I'm trying to use Reyes to get one of those, and another one of my bats to get a closer.

I'll be very happy if Scutaro picks it up. I've got him backing up Reyes. The Giants, Tigers and Jays consists of half my players so far. Screw you Investment planner: Diversifying is for the weak!!!!

I don't see Scutaro being all that impressive this season.  I'm hoping for .280 from him.  He's a smart player, sees a lot of pitches usually and knows how to move runners, but he isn't going to get hot like he did at the end of last year very often. 

It's nicer having Reyes to really contribute, but when half a league is pitching, and I have a lot of other bats, one guy who hopefully won't hurt me isn't too bad. If I can get an improvement with little cost, I will.

Thanks though for your insight on the Giants. All I ever get is the occasional highlight. I could only go by Vogelsong's numbers that game. I'm fully assuming I have nothing to worry about with Romo as a closer. :grin:

Yeah, the crazy thing about that Vogelsong start was he struggled in the first, then retired the next 12 straight, in dominant fashion, then lost it again.  

With Romo the biggest worry is injury, that guy has two knee braces and is the tiniest baseball player I've ever seen.

I love talking Giants, so anytime :)

The Rays took tow of three from the Indians this weekend. I caught all three games. David Price go rocked on Sunday though. He's off to a rough start. Tonight it the Marlins home opener. It will be interesting to hear what the attendance will be. I'm betting >10k.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What I hate about fantasy baseball: Cleveland's been my favorite team since 1990 when I met Alex Cole. I only have Swisher on my team. I have 4 Jays. I was happy they won twice, but not against Josh Johnson. Then they lose to the Rays. Swisher went 1/12. 0/5 in the 13-0 game they won.

The AL East will be a real fun division to watch this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there are some big changes my predictions in the OP are going to be ALL wrong.

The Rays are just killing me. If they get a man on base it's like seeing a cat in a hot air balloon, nobody knows how he got there and his odds of getting home don't look too good. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The A's are so good they don't even need 9 innings to win their games.

The reverse can be said about the Red Sox, sadly :p

I'd make excuses, but ... there aren't any. ;)

Boston was doing fair for a bit there but as they say ... it's still way early. My expectations are still low. I haven't been watching much baseball this year yet, either. I did smile, however, when last night I went out for a food run and noticed the neighbor had the Giants game on.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What a heartbreaking loss to the Yankees last night. David Price goes all the way to the 9th then chokes and even a 9th inning HR by Longoria couldn't pull it out. Since the Sox  got crushed they missed a prime chance to gain ground. Rubber game tonight. I'm going to put it on the radio and grill a steak, sit on the porch and watch the sun set.

Thomas Sowell

Just a question, it I offered you a choice of getting you hand hit by a hammer or watching a Marlins game, which would you chose? One thing about it, the hammer would be over quickly.

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell happened to Fernando Rodney? Last year he comes within a  few dozen votes of the Cy Young as a closer, this year he chokes on even a four run lead. His ERA is more than the cost of a 6-pack. WTF?

I caught the Giants-Dodgers game Sunday night. The Giants almost blew a really great performance by Matt Cain but they pulled it out in the end though. 

Thomas Sowell

Fernando was my first choice for a closer this year in my fantasy league. I didn't mind so much the one blown save that he ended up getting the win for anyways. This one on the other hand.... :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Rodney blew another save AND lost the game Thursday night. WTF? They may really have lost faith because the left Peralta in to pitch the 9th with a two run lead and the meat of the O's order up last night. So far the Rays have proven no lead is safe with their bullpen in the game.  

Thomas Sowell

I have pretty mixed feelings watching Francona playing "against" the Red Sox. :lol:

....still haven't been in the mood to watch too much baseball this year, but when I look at the daily team scores, sometimes these early months in the season are the most interesting, as the league standings bounce around.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rodney blew his fifth save last night and the Rays have lost all five. Last night he choked on a two run lead to the bottom of the Yankees order. Enough is just enough. I realize there is nobody (and I mean nobody) to replace him with and the Rays don't trade for veterans as a rule but... f**k the season is starting to get away from them. I think they should waive Farnsworth, bring up Chris Archer, send Hernandez to the pen and make Rodney a regular reliever then go with closer-by-committee based on lefty/righty matchups. Something HAS to give here.

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the Rays/ Red Sox game on the computer. So far Hell Boy has held it together but I'm nervous. It's like you know the train wreck is coming, you just don't know when.

Thomas Sowell

Whenever the Red Sox are above the Yankees, I'm content.

There is a classic battle of good vs evil tonight. The Rays are playing the Yankees. It's like Luke and the rebels vs Vader and the Empire with bats instead of lightsabers. Then afterwards I think there might be some basketball game or something on. I seem to remember Shady mentioning it.

Thomas Sowell

Look who wants to come back...again.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/index.jsp#contentId=51230906

Thomas Sowell