Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

That's because Kanadians aren't pieceful. That's a myth started by our propaganda machine. There's a reason hockey is the only professional NA sport that actually allows AND ACTUALLY ENCOURAGE fighting to take place. L0L

In fact, try to tell a bloodthristy Kanandian that hockey be better off without fighting.. they'll threaten to punch you! Trust me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Finally give Ortiz a 2 year contract, he hurts his feetsies and probably won't play the opening weeks. ::facepalm::

I love the player but I wonder about his longevity at this point. Ah well. Guess it doesn't really matter anyway. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I will never understand what you see in that guy Volo.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

He helped Boston win championships. That's what. And, I'm not a Boston fan, but I love talent.

And, I don't care aboutt he whole 'steroid' garbage because it is garbage and a waste of time, money, worry, and nonsense for such a tiny tiny thing. Espciailly along as player are allowed to pop pain killers/needles/anmd other crap to be able to play.

I don't care about the steroid issue much either.

I do care about Manny's attitude problem, which he had in spades. Acts like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. Unprofessional. That's what had people fed up in Boston. All that stuff he pulled.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's kinda...interesting. I thought he retired or something, haven't paid any attention in a while.

He had an 'attitude' problem b/c Boston treated him like dirt. Outside of the drug issue, he had no big problems in SF. And, as mentioned above, he was fine with OAK outside of the fact that he is getting older therefore his skills are lesser.

Sports teams are employers. If you treat your employees like trash they are gonna react.

He had an 'attitude' problem b/c Boston treated him like dirt. Outside of the drug issue, he had no big problems in SF. And, as mentioned above, he was fine with OAK outside of the fact that he is getting older therefore his skills are lesser.

Sports teams are employers. If you treat your employees like trash they are gonna react.

Not happy about a contract debate and want to be let out of your contract or something, fine.

Shoving an old man to the ground because you get in a little spat, not showing up to work leaving the teammates (they're not the management) in a lurch, or leaving the field or pretending to be injured is an infantile response.

I'm not pretending there wasn't some friction between management and Manny by the end. Of course there was. Maybe it was like oil and water.  But Manny still acted like a child - as you've said yourself - it takes two to tango. By the time he left Boston everyone knew about his "manny being manny" and likely carefully catered to his childishness to keep him in check.

I don't hate the guy ... and I don't think Boston top management is faultless ... but Manny's not exactly innocent re: Boston stuff, either. Stop making him sound like some kind of tormented Saint. Heh.

Except I'm not. He's not perfect. My point is he's not some evil villain like Boston wanted to make him out to be.  He seemed to be just fine behaviour wise since leaving Beantown despite  his now lack of a career. Though, he did kick ass the next eyar and a half. If Boston had kept him they likely had a possible chance at winning a nother chance.

It was funny and ausing when people tried to claim he was a 'cancer' when w/o him BOS doesn't win any championsips hence his MVP the first victory.

Manny > Boston

Just look how trashy Boston is now.

Heh, as if Manny being gone had much to do with Boston's overall decline. They actually did better for the first months after he was gone, tho this is likely mostly from not having all that tension/conflict in the clubhouse anymore, and there were signs of team decline before he left, too. Then the injuries, shortstop issues, pitching issues, aging core players, and of course some trades/management decisions that worked out rather poorly really started to add up. It happens...teams have cycles. Are they (or any team) supposed to win a division title/AL pennant and/or WS every other year in order to be non-trashy?

But feel free to think not having Manny around is the root of it all. :biggrin:

The facts are facts. Don't forget he turned LA into a contender single handedly  when he went there before the crap hit the fan with the silly drugs.

Edited by Volourn

Great game USA & Puerto Rico last night. Team USA had looked disinterested in pool play, they are punching it now.

Thomas Sowell

Not really about baseball, but ... it was awesome to see Francona having fun with his new team. He's the one in the pink "baby" costume, later. :lol:

Page that lists who's who in the costumes: http://tribevibe.mlblogs.com/2013/03/13/harlem-shake-bring-your-own-costume-monday-2/

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of action over the last two days. Kershaw beats the Giants single handedly, marathon game in Cincinnati, Astros stun the Rangers on opening night. I actually DVR's Game of Thrones to watch that one. King Felix flirts with a no hitter in Oakland, Bryce Harper single handedly beats the Marlins and the Red Sox spank the Yanks. Were off to a great start.

Thomas Sowell

"Bryce Harper single handedly beats the Marlins"

He threw a shutout along with his two homers? IMPRESSIVE.

Then again, beating Miami - even singlehandedly - isn't impressive.

:lol:  You and I could probably do it. Just walk Stanton and throw off speed junk to everyone else!

In other news Yu Darvish came within one out of a perfect game. Wow, remember when that was rare?

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

It was nice that the Red Sox beat the Yankees a couple times, but today's game was a stinker. Not the least of which was Lackey seeming to injure his arm. Never been a Lackey fan, but that wasn't nice to watch. Poor guy. He just got back from that Tommy John surgery and was pitching well today. Hope it's not serious.