Happy Australia Day

BruceVC

Happy Oz day for tomorrow for all our Australian members :)

For those interested in the history

http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history.aspx

As a South African I have many friends and family members who have migrated to Australia so most of us feel a real kinship with the Australians.

What are you guys doing doing to celebrate?

• Getting ready for a hunt in the backlands
  • Taking the pet Kangaroo out for a walk
  • Making sure the sheep are well groomed and presentable
  • Or making sure the old barbecue is cleaned

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guest The Architect

Cheers mate, had a great day hunting in the outback with my pet kangaroo prior to grooming my sheep and cleaning my barbecue.

For some reason, the image of a cat's face and front paws peeking out of a kangaroo pouch came to my mind. Probably means it's about time to get back to snoozin'.

Happy day/cheers. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh, came back to Brisbane at the end of the week, just to see the weather turn to utter crap. Ah well, at least Sydney was nice and sunny. Luckily my place is on the upper part of a hill side, so it's not going to get flooded. Happy Australia Day indeed (all cooped up, with trees falling down around me, at least my internet connection is working).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As a South African I have many friends and family members who have migrated to Australia so most of us feel a real kinship with the Australians.

Why would your own personal experience apply to most South Africans? I'd imagine the black majority doesn't feel any kinship with Australians, especially of the Anglo-Saxon variety.

Anyway, since my sister is staying with her Kiwi boyfriend in Brisbane, I'll construct an island detention facility on foreign soil for people caught trying to illegally enter the country by seas.

Why would your own personal experience apply to most South Africans? I'd imagine the black majority doesn't feel any kinship with Australians, especially of the Anglo-Saxon variety.

Anyway, since my sister is staying with her Kiwi boyfriend in Brisbane, I'll construct an island detention facility on foreign soil for people caught trying to illegally enter the country by seas.

Valid point, most Black South Africans probably don't feel much kinship to Australia

But as I mentioned in the circles I move in many people have immigrated to Oz so for us it has become the closest place to South Africa in the world. Also we have a long and much loved sports rivalry with Australia. In cricket and rugby. So I suppose its better so say White South Africans especially like Australia. :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good job, Oz-Cit.

I'm considering moving, but I don't know how much money wholesale tweed-spitters make out there.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

I did Gfted1, but they were too high on eucalyptus leaves to pose any threat. 

Good job, Oz-Cit.

I'm considering moving, but I don't know how much money wholesale tweed-spitters make out there.

Bugger all.

And don't come to Perth.

Hoorah Downunder from waaaay Upover! :dancing:

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.