Improving the romances

More options is good. But make sure that romanse is not broken because of some sidequest. It should continue to develop even during sidequests.

And make sure it can lead somewhere even if it is just a declaration of eternal love. :)

One thing that really bothered me about BG2 romances, is that (I'm guessing because of the timing that I would do things) some of the triggers would hit at the most inopportune time... like wanting to have a heart to heart as we are walking down the steps to talk to a dragon, or having the butler show up while we are in the underdark to tell us that we need to go to the house immediately... but because he couldn't just leave there, it didn't work well.

-- ok, enough rant about that now. I feel so much better. :D

tob felt rushed to you? ok, if you say so. tob had more new material and detail than any other expansion we can name

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So dont comment, its ceratinly NOT typical and if you look the IDIOT that give it a 6 and the overall reviews is a 8.

Let me tell you, I played the damn thing and after the tape I was so depresed I wanted to just go over it, its a game were just inspecting a item affects the ending.

You own a Xbox and so I advise you to get it and I rarely advise for people to get games.

drakron.png

Rinoa-Squall was well done since it was FF VIII story, when Rinoa goes into a coma they handled Squall extreamly well.

Besides romances in games are not exactly "standart", as said Gothic 2 lacks one and have a fine brothel (I was suprised when THAT movie started but then again its a european game) but stuff like that is uncomon due to the US market.

drakron.png

comas and dream sequences is a good way to do romances?

no wonder we has a hard time finding common ground on what constitutes "maturity" in games.

personally, we prefer the ravel and nameless one stuff... particularly when tno returns to sigil and confronts mebbeth/ravel in her hut in the hive.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One thing that really bothered me about BG2 romances, is that (I'm guessing because of the timing that I would do things) some of the triggers would hit at the most inopportune time... like wanting to have a heart to heart as we are walking down the steps to talk to a dragon, or having the butler show up while we are in the underdark to tell us that we need to go to the house immediately... but because he couldn't just leave there, it didn't work well.

That's a common complaint - Bio based a lot of things off the clock in BG2, so they could come up at really silly times.

They improved on this in HotU by controlling party dialog through placed triggers, which are placed where there can't be an emergency. I'm pretty sure KotOR works like this too.

?

What on earth are you talking about, I said Squall reaction to Rinoa coma and there are no dream sequences in FF VIII.

you keep mentioning games we hasn't played

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/495/495769p1.html

"They return to Balamb Garden with Edea and

Rinoa's comatose body.

"Back in Balamb Gaden, a worried Squall lies on his bed running over the events.

Quistis suggests they visit Edea's house where she and Cid now are. Squall

firsts stops off to see Rinoa and is saddened by her state. he then goes to

Edea's house, which was also their old orphanage, accompanied by Quistis, Zell,

Selphie and Irvine. There Cid apologizes for his indecisiveness, explaining

how torn he was between destroying Sorceress Edea, but losing his wife for

ever, or keeping Sorceress Edea alive in the hope Edea Kramer could be saved

but at the risk of the rest of the world being endangered by the Sorceress.

Edea explains how she was under the control of Ultemecia all this time and how

Ultimecia now intends to resurrect Adel, a former Sorceress who once ruled

Esthar. With Edea unsure of why Rinoa is in a coma, it is decided Ellone must

be found to help them.

"back in Garden, Squall announces that Edea is not the enemy anymore and should

be left alone, Cid will also be staying with her. They all then decide to

search for the White SeeD ship. Squall then goes back to see Rinoa and becomes

a bit overwhelmed with the strength of his feelings for her. He slumps forward

and into another dream..."

yes, enthralling stuff. considering ff popularity with teens, we must be missing something in translation... but you type "rinoa-squall coma" into google and see what comes up for you. mentions the coma and dream sequences... and please keep in mind that you can't have a reaction to a coma 'less somebody is in a coma. the whole point of the clich

Geez Grommir its not MY fault you dont play then, more people have a PS2 that a Xbox (of course FF VIII was also had a PC version and do does Silent Hill 2 and since I presume everyone is using a PC to post of this forms ...).

I know you have a Xbox and even if I was not 100% sure of you having SH2 at least you could have and as for my FF VIII comments they were aimed at the public and not directlty towards you.

You really cannot stop making comments on stuff you dont know and use guides and reviews to push some point ... why I am unsure, god complex perhaps?

drakron.png

I liked the addition of a romance in KOTOR but I agree it felt too shallow. There was nothing in the game which made me feel bastila was worth fighting for. Of course these are game developers so we can't expect them to know too much about wooing the opposite sex :p j/k. But seriously I would have liked to have been given my selection of romances to follow as well as little flings here and there. Imagine while bastila was back on the ebon hawk you're getting your grove on with some other chicky.

In fact one of the things I enjoyed was flirting with NPCs to gain their trust and manipulate them. Like Lashowe or Yuthura on korriban I took the James T Kirk approach and gained their trust. Granted the pickup lines were cheesy but it still would of been amusing to have a little fling with both or either of them at the Sith academy right before using my lightsaber to turn them into salsa fresca. That's what a true sith lord does. muahahahaha :ph34r:

"You really cannot stop making comments on stuff you dont know and use guides and reviews to push some point ... why I am unsure, god complex perhaps?"

ok, that not make much sense... for a number o' reasons. do you even know what a god complex is?

*shrug*

besides which, reviews and guides from reputable sources seem likes much better sources that reliance on drak.

comas and dream sequences is soap opera clich

:p

Grommir have no idea of what he is talking about ... (with is a damn shame because most time Grommir makes good points) there are no dream sequences in FF VIII (and that alone is a heck of a spoiler) and Rinoa "coma" had its reasons ... not that Grommir have any idea since HE DID NOT PLAYED THE GAME and relies on IGN (with is alone laughatble at best) for information, perhaps he sould read Amazon reviews as well.

I am not even comment of Grommir idea of how Silent Hill 2 is, not worth my time and energy.

*shrug*

Perhaps Grommir sould buy Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness since the reviews were very nice to that game ...

drakron.png

"There was nothing in the game which made me feel bastila was worth fighting for."

exactly. 'course, is not just that bastilla seemed like she weren't worth fighting for... is that we not see any reason why she would want to be saved. bastilla seemed miserable most of the time. lugubrious... almost commicaly mournful.

second time through game Gromnir did bastilla romance just to satisfy curiosity... we chose the obvious responses to advance the romance along. was an empty and hollow experience. bastilla was a broken character for a number of reasons... the tragedy was that she could have been fixed rather easily. a couple extra dialogue encounters that showed that she had a sense o' humor and a love of life might have done it.

what a waste.

am thinking that part of the problem bio has with certain characters falling a tad short is that you got multiple Kanadian writers. these guys is so busy being polite to each other that they probably not give each other useful criticism.

" that was a very good character you got there, eh."

"you really think so? i personally liked your dialogue much better. by the way, that is a great touque that you got on. wanna go and watch some curling? i have a big bag of cheesies right here."

just a thought.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. drak continues to reinforce our already dismal opinion of him... is like he is responding to imaginary people sometimes.

Cheap shoots now Grommir ... I supposed that sould be normal from someone that uses other people reviews to make some obscure point about some game they never actual played.

P.S. I could not care less about what people think of me, I dont have such a big ego ... unlike some people.

drakron.png

if you think they is cheap shots, then so be it... but honestly, you is being largely unresponsive and incomprehensible in your responses. can't talk with you 'cause you ain't really responding to us. is not an ego thing on our part... is just that you and sargy is now forming a select group of two: the only folks on these boards Gromnir will dismiss out of hand.

congrats.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm with Drakron. Rinoa, and Squall's romance was greta. Sure, it used a 'cheap' tatic like coma but if Gromnir had atually played the game; he'd know that it fits quite well in a FANTASY game.

Pity too since I usually agree with Grom..

Tsk, tsk.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Coma fits quite well in a fantasy game? :p If you say so....

Anyway, the romance felt disconnected at some points. Using coma, or any character-disabling event, as a means to expose some character's motivation or feeling that he was unable to express until then was badly pulled off. Come to think of it, until that particular scene, i can't recall of any event where Squall actually hinted he liked Rinoa, wheter in dialogue or thought, yet he crumbles as she goes veggie. Not only that, the romance was terribly cliche. How many times have we seen silent, angsty teens depressed about everything, and girls with a high tolerance for being mistreated, all the while making advances towards someone who doesn't give a damn about them? The 'romance' reeked of south america, drama-dripping soap operas.