Do you like to see some "weird" companions?

Do you like to see some "weird" companions?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to see some "weird" companions?

• Yes, I want to have 2 or 3 unique companions in my team.
    • Yes. But one special companion is enough for me.
    • No. I hate weird guys.

We know the companions in PS:T were very unique. There were flying skull, walking armor, machine cube,burning Man and stunning succubus. The most normal companion is a pretty girl with tail. Both of them have unique races, unique equipments, and unique abilities beyond normal classes. Aslo, in DA:O we have a cool stone prisoner and war dog as our companions.

Now we know 5 compnions from 8 in PE. It seems all of them are normal persons. Do you wish there will be one or more "weird" companions in the next 3?

post-23352-0-37834200-1350741878_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-43322500-1350742032_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-87430900-1350742085_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-13733800-1350742103_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-50536600-1350742119_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-69563100-1350742176_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-39906900-1350742196_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-82059300-1350742241_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

There'll probably be an Aumauan, Orlan and a Godlike NPC if that's what you're referring to?

I'm more interested in the character's personalities personally. They will probably be good if Chris is writing them. Does anyone know if George is helping out with the NPCs? I might have to ask him on his formspring

There'll probably be an Aumauan, Orlan and a Godlike NPC if that's what you're referring to?

I'm more interested in the character's personalities personally. They will probably be good if Chris is writing them. Does anyone know if George is helping out with the NPCs? I might have to ask him on his formspring

I think maybe there could be some companions out of those normal races and normal classes which can choiced by players.

Also, they can have unqiue shapes, even aren't a human-like shape. They can have some special abilies as Morte's skulls summon, or some special equipments like dakkon's sword.

Such kind of design will make them really irreplaceable.

Of course,character's personalities is most important thing. All of these design about other elements should base on good dialog writting. But that won't be a problem for Chris, right? :yes: So let's discuss something out of character's personalities.

Just a thought~

Edited by bronzepoem

I wouldn't mind it because Ziets and Avellone - and I hate to bring them up constantly - do great work on weird companions. I'd welcome it, even, because I'm freaking weird as hell and don't mind having someone who's easier for me to identify with than someone "normal".

Yeah...

• Like 1

Nah. Save the weird guys for the oddball campaigns. I want to see normal people dealing with abnormal events. When the normal is just weird, then weird becomes mundane. People can relate best to other people, or people-like beings; they can't relate to a multi-armed, tentacled bacterial colony that eats stone and mates with squirrels.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Planescape is inherently wierder than more worldly settings. I don't expect the companions to be as exotic as those encountered in the planes.

Generally, I'd like game to have the level of companion-wierdness Baldur's Gate I and II have.

Hmm...Maybe they are hard to compare with. We know BG II have 17 companions :aiee:

Nah. Save the weird guys for the oddball campaigns. I want to see normal people dealing with abnormal events. When the normal is just weird, then weird becomes mundane.

While a fair point I'd say having one out of eight wouldn't harm your enjoyment more than it'd enrich mine. But again, anything they go for is fine by me. But a game is like a symphony and much can be gained from having a counter-point to the mundane as long as it's not forced.

Nah. Save the weird guys for the oddball campaigns. I want to see normal people dealing with abnormal events. When the normal is just weird, then weird becomes mundane.

Ha, that's an interesting theory :yes:

Also, a weird companion could be the abnormal event our normal player charatcer should deal with. That will be a funny story.

Uh... I think someone from OE said that these 5 are not necessarily companions. So there might be more room for strange party members.

Nah I think there was a bit of a miscommunication there. I do remember that thread though.

If anyone knows their Warhammer 40k, and knows what I mean about a "blunt" or pariah, that is essentially what I want; a sort of anti-magic companion (think decent level of spell resistance) only this sort of off-puts even the lay person simply because on a subconcious level most people sense some magical energy (depending on the pervasive level of magic). Using the soul dynamic, it would be a companion with no soul, only maybe not so dramatic, or a soul devourer (though not as brutal).

• Like 3

3 out of 8 would be too much already. Maybe.

But it's a matter of definition also, Morte is weird and so is Shale (DA:O) or Construct (NWN2),

Minsc, Viconia or Aerie are not and I wouldn't mind 4 companions like that, or like Gannayev (MotB).

While a fair point I'd say having one out of eight wouldn't harm your enjoyment more than it'd enrich mine. But again, anything they go for is fine by me. But a game is like a symphony and much can be gained from having a counter-point to the mundane as long as it's not forced.

It probably depends on what you mean by weird. Exotic would be okay; somebody from another culture with different values yet still able to share an understanding with the player.

I answered no, but I don't really hate weird guys :p

I think that with the realistic, perhaps revisionist take on the fantasy genre that PE seems to be going for, I would prefer more normal companions in this case. Not really worried about it though, Obsidian nails character design basically every time. If they want to do something really out there, well, they know better than me.

I hope to see at least one companion from one of the three more unusual races or even a one from a race not available for the player, like the ghitzerai cleric from NWN2

Zhjaeve? *Shudder* I swear that if I hear "Know that..." one more time, my speakers are going through the window. :wacko: (Kidding, sort of.)

I mean, she was a reasonable character design. But using repetitive style to emphasize a culture difference gets really old.

Edited by rjshae

Uh... I think someone from OE said that these 5 are not necessarily companions. So there might be more room for strange party members.

Not necessarily? I think all the 8 should be not necessarily. Of course OE will allow solo play in PE.

If anyone knows their Warhammer 40k, and knows what I mean about a "blunt" or pariah, that is essentially what I want; a sort of anti-magic companion (think decent level of spell resistance) only this sort of off-puts even the lay person simply because on a subconcious level most people sense some magical energy (depending on the pervasive level of magic). Using the soul dynamic, it would be a companion with no soul, only maybe not so dramatic, or a soul devourer (though not as brutal).

I don't know much about Warhammer. But,a companion with no soul? Cool!!!

I don't know much about Warhammer. But,a companion with no soul? Cool!!!

Well, I had a lengthy response, and then my browser crashed. Blunts are rare individuals that, varying by age, genetics and practice can extert either a personal sort of anti-psychic field, or an extended on, either with varying effectiveness. Mechanically, it is a bit like the spell mantle spells, only as a supernatural ability, with some anti-divination or nondetection added in. The caveat is the vast majority of humans (95+%) in the setting have some psychic sense, the majority on some subconcious level. This means encountering someone who creates a sort of null zone in that sense causes anything from a sense of danger, an uncomfortable feeling, olfactory hallucinations and maybe more. Pariahs are the super-rare who can devour psychic energy, and are understandably legendary. More common are pariah-imitation gear, which is of course very rare, but absorbs a certain portion of psychic energy and might even redirect it. A companion like that would be neat, I think. Or one who has lost their "core" or soul, or maybe never had one.

Not necessarily? I think all the 8 should be not necessarily. Of course OE will allow solo play in PE.

He means that they aren't necessarily available as companions. As in some of them may be regular ol' NPCs that can't join your party. =P

He means that they aren't necessarily available as companions. As in some of them may be regular ol' NPCs that can't join your party. =P

I would also like to see at least one of them be a recurring antagonist.